OT: NCAA FINAL

MB73

Yeah his name is Matt Howard. I couldn't help but laugh all game though....he looks like Andy Samberg

He looks like the guy who played Kramer in Seinfeld, when they had the show-within-the-show.

Not Michael Richards, the guy that played Michael Richards.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also good to see a clean-run, top academic program like Duke win the whole thing.

Cannot stand the thought of Kentucky or WV type teams winning it.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a Duke fan, but have to give credit where credit is due. Based on everything i see and don't hear (i.e. negative stories), Duke appears to be a quite a program in every respect.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a Duke fan, but have to give credit where credit is due. Based on everything i see and don't hear (i.e. negative stories), Duke appears to be a quite a program in every respect.

Duke is cleaner than most BCS programs going, but don't kid yourself in thinking their basketball players are held to even close to the standards of the rest of the program. It drives me nuts when people fawn all over Duke and Coach K for being perfectly clean when they're not.

-Sean Dockery, one of Duke's many overrated recruits, had an ACT score that was in the mid-teens and would have made him ineligible for his first year just about anywhere, but he became magically eligible and played for four years.

-Corey Maggette only played one year but shouldn't have been allowed to because he received thousands in cash from an AAU coach. Surprise! - no NCAA infractions.

-Duke has had multiple players suspended from school for plagiarism, but returned to the team shortly afterward.

-Casey Sanders assaulted his girlfriend while at Duke but the university president agreed to a slap on the wrist if he met some basic conditions (i.e. don't do it again).

-Chris Duhon's mother was given a job she wasn't otherwise qualified for by a Duke booster, and she and Chris received cars in her name. Carlos Boozer's parents, unemployed during some of his recruitment, were also given six-figure jobs by Duke boosters.

There are other incidents as well. I will say that I haven't read anything too damning in the past few years. The Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Zoubek-Thomas-Plumlees team seems to be clean and trouble-free. They wouldn't have gotten into Duke without basketball, but that's to be expected. This roster seems to be doing a lot better for themselves off the court than many in the past.

Point is, don't keep pretending all of Duke's guys have been nothing but boy scouts.

http://www.slate.com/id/101920/

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/12/sports/p...Athletic%20Assn

Yeah his name is Matt Howard. I couldn't help but laugh all game though....he looks like Andy Samberg

He did need help in the stache growing area. I could certainly help, I am a master at the push broom. I would take him on ,y team any day, that screen was awesome.

He looks like the guy who played Kramer in Seinfeld, when they had the show-within-the-show.

Not Michael Richards, the guy that played Michael Richards.

Well we were all eating the raisins. And I remember you--you were eating some of the raisins. And then you left, and the raisins were gone. And I was just wondering if, you know (chuckles), maybe you took them with you.

Duke is cleaner than most BCS programs going, but don't kid yourself in thinking their basketball players are held to even close to the standards of the rest of the program. It drives me nuts when people fawn all over Duke and Coach K for being perfectly clean when they're not.

-Sean Dockery, one of Duke's many overrated recruits, had an ACT score that was in the mid-teens and would have made him ineligible for his first year just about anywhere, but he became magically eligible and played for four years.

-Corey Maggette only played one year but shouldn't have been allowed to because he received thousands in cash from an AAU coach. Surprise! - no NCAA infractions.

-Duke has had multiple players suspended from school for plagiarism, but returned to the team shortly afterward.

-Casey Sanders assaulted his girlfriend while at Duke but the university president agreed to a slap on the wrist if he met some basic conditions (i.e. don't do it again).

-Chris Duhon's mother was given a job she wasn't otherwise qualified for by a Duke booster, and she and Chris received cars in her name. Carlos Boozer's parents, unemployed during some of his recruitment, were also given six-figure jobs by Duke boosters.

There are other incidents as well. I will say that I haven't read anything too damning in the past few years. The Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Zoubek-Thomas-Plumlees team seems to be clean and trouble-free. They wouldn't have gotten into Duke without basketball, but that's to be expected. This roster seems to be doing a lot better for themselves off the court than many in the past.

Point is, don't keep pretending all of Duke's guys have been nothing but boy scouts.

Thanks Pistol. I had no clue.

Thanks Pistol. I had no clue.

I can only assume that's sarcasm. Don't get me wrong, I wish more BCS programs were run like Duke and had 90% graduation rates (I saw that Duke and Butler had the highest combined graduation rate in a final since Villanova and Georgetown, two more awesome schools). I just think the hagiography for Coach K and Duke is out of control and unrealistic.

I can only assume that's sarcasm. Don't get me wrong, I wish more BCS programs were run like Duke and had 90% graduation rates (I saw that Duke and Butler had the highest combined graduation rate in a final since Villanova and Georgetown, two more awesome schools). I just think the hagiography for Coach K and Duke is out of control and unrealistic.

Actually, no sarcasm. I just don't follow Duke basketball too much or really care to follow 'em. I have a very superficial view of them.

If that shot would have went in, and i thought it was, I would have set my new vertical jump record and probably hit my head on the 9 foot ceiling...previous high was 42"...man that was a fun game to watch. BTW - Did you see that pick by Butler's center (can't remember his name) on that last shot? Wow, he DRILLED that guy.

Hitting your head on a 42" ceiling doesn't seem that impressive to me.

I nailed it.

Had the score within a few points, give or take.

Duke wins NCAA.

Butler played great, vicious "D", seems similar to the Majerus approach to winning. Good to see mid major get there.

Also good to see a clean-run, top academic program like Duke win the whole thing.

Cannot stand the thought of Kentucky or WV type teams winning it.

Didn't I see you had Duke winning 72-50? Yea, that's within a few points give or take. I hope you were being sarcastic.

Typical.

You are a hater, jealous as hell.

You present disinformation as "facts" to support your hateful agenda.

You cite an article written by another Duke hater, fraught with inaccuracies.

Yes, Maggett took some money in high school... from AAU coach... tie that to Duke, imply Duke is the culprit.

You say some woman said Casey Sanders assaulted her... how do you know? Sometimes, women lie about that. Can you think of any relevant cases?

I will not go on with this.

Yes, they let some players in with less than the usual Duke requirements for SAT, ACT, but so does the IVY League (to get kids to play sports... no schollies). Did you know that? I bet not.

And the Duke kids go to class... real classes, no where to hide, no PE (Health Management, Sports Management whatever they call it at most schools).

Nobody said they were all boy scouts. You did. You are a jealous loser.

Didn't I see you had Duke winning 72-50? Yea, that's within a few points give or take. I hope you were being sarcastic.

Of course sarcastic. :lol:

Butler was impressive as hell.

What a great "D", what an impressive group of kids, poised, tough, resilient.

Hope that is where SLU is going...

Typical.

Yes, Maggett took some money in high school... from AAU coach... tie that to Duke, imply Duke is the culprit.

You say some woman said Casey Sanders assaulted her... how do you know? Sometimes, women lie about that. Can you think of any relevant cases?

Yes, they let some players in with less than the usual Duke requirements for SAT, ACT, but so does the IVY League (to get kids to play sports... no schollies). Did you know that? I bet not.

And the Duke kids go to class... real classes, no where to hide, no PE (Health Management, Sports Management whatever they call it at most schools).

Wow.

It doesn't matter if the money to Maggett was from Duke or not. He wasn't eligible. He didn't tie it to Duke.

He said Duke was better than most.

my favorite duke view is the fact that most of the basketball players are "sociology majors". a few years back the point guard they had graduated in 2 and half years even though every summer he was playing for the age appropriate usa national team thus making it impossible to be in class. combine that with the fact that each year he was traveling nationally with duke with their challenging schedule. the kid must have been a genius. i am surprised he didnt end up at oxford.

Wow.

It doesn't matter if the money to Maggett was from Duke or not. He wasn't eligible. He didn't tie it to Duke.

He said Duke was better than most.

He wrote it about Maggett, about Duke, therefore tied it to Duke.

He spewed unsubstantiated venom all over the place. Why?

Yes, some stuff has happened at Duke, but they do not deserve to be tied to what he wrote... some of it has some factual basis, some does not.

Overall, they are a top 10 academic school, no PE to hide athletes (like SLU) and run a very clean program.

Not perfect.

But its not perfect anywhere... ever been around a lot of college athletes?

No need for the hate.

mb there is enough smoke around the duke basketball program to know that all is not completely on the up and up.

my favorite duke reference was every time pretty q snider got caught in the gray areas of the ncaa rules he would typically state he didnt understand. they did it at duke all the time.

duke is not the reincarnation of unlv. i agree with that. but let's not confuse them with butler either. the butler players actually attended class monday. when i heard that i cannot express enough how much respect they earned. now that appears is a school that has it right.

mb there is enough smoke around the duke basketball program to know that all is not completely on the up and up.

my favorite duke reference was every time pretty q snider got caught in the gray areas of the ncaa rules he would typically state he didnt understand. they did it at duke all the time.

duke is not the reincarnation of unlv. i agree with that. but let's not confuse them with butler either. the butler players actually attended class monday. when i heard that i cannot express enough how much respect they earned. now that appears is a school that has it right.

I'm guessing no program is 100% clean, even Butler and SLU. Some are worse than others. Butler seems to be a great program, but I know less about them than I do Duke.

MB73, it might help you when you argue to back up your arguments instead of accusing the other guy of spewing venom, offering one or two minor rebuttals and then dismissing the rest with no support.

Typical.

You argue like a child, a defensive, immature child. Did you even read my follow-up post? I'll repost it here for you:

"Don't get me wrong, I wish more BCS programs were run like Duke and had 90% graduation rates (I saw that Duke and Butler had the highest combined graduation rate in a final since Villanova and Georgetown, two more awesome schools). I just think the hagiography for Coach K and Duke is out of control and unrealistic."

I just wanted to point out that the media and public perception of this program is not realistic, and there are plenty of examples to back that up so I featured a few. Roy has followed up with a couple more. Once again, you have gone way, way overboard in response to me. I have no "hateful agenda" and an actual reading of my posts would clarify that for you.

Maggette took money in high school, which actually does implicate the school. While they didn't do anything wrong, they had a player eligible who should not have been eligible. No school deserves sanctions for that unless they were the one paying him, but that sort of thing is going to reflect poorly on any program.

"Sometimes women lie about that." That's a really healthy attitude about assault. The charges were dropped, but he had to meet a lengthy list of conditions. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact he was associated with the most respected program in college basketball, though. Plus, I'm sure she just wanted attention, right? Maybe she was asking for it, huh?

I'm aware high-level schools lower admission standards for athletes. Sean Dockery's admission and eligibility at Duke despite his 2.3 GPA and 15 on the ACT made that pretty clear to me when I was a senior in high school. I knew kids with better than double those figures who got rejected outright from Duke the same year. Thanks for clarifying this for me, though.

But what do I know, I'm just a jealous loser, a hater, jealous as hell.

my favorite duke view is the fact that most of the basketball players are "sociology majors". a few years back the point guard they had graduated in 2 and half years even though every summer he was playing for the age appropriate usa national team thus making it impossible to be in class. combine that with the fact that each year he was traveling nationally with duke with their challenging schedule. the kid must have been a genius. i am surprised he didnt end up at oxford.

The sociolgy major thing is false.

Some myth you heard second hand, you liked what you heard, but it is not accurate.

We have been over this before, Broy.

I have a recent former Duke varsity athlete, now in law school, that would like to debate you in public over this claim of yours.

At Humphries, maybe, invite some of the loons from this board.

We will tape it and put it on YouTube.

Wagering will be allowed.

He will bring facts.

What will you bring? ;)

Broy, on this matter, we are pretty much aligned.

And Quinn Snyder was / is a disgrace.

Duke is top 10 ranked academically, is Butler in the top 100?

So you cite that some Butler players went to class Monday and that is significant? Nice story, I liked it too, but incidental.

Hey, I think the world of Butler, cool what they achieved, I rooted for (and bet on) them until the Duke game.

But do not put them on a pedestel not knowing much else about them.

Wish Butler the best. Got that far on a small-time budget.

I despise coaches like Calapari, Huggins, Sampson, etc that get one yr wonders and / or leave programs on probation.

Yes, Duke has been over played by the media over the years as being a clean program.

They are hated like The Dallas Cowboys and Notre Dame (football) were for some of the same reasons.

BUT another poster, a clear "hater", put all sorts of vile accusations about Duke on this thread, based on a well known 9 yr old farce of an article that has almost no credibility fact wise.

Why?

No class.

Some myth you heard second hand, you liked what you heard, but it is not accurate.

I have a recent former Duke varsity athlete, now in law school, that would like to debate you in public over this claim of yours.

He will bring facts.

What will you bring? :lol:

MB73 - What is false about "the sociology major thing." Is it not a fact that an inordinate number of Duke basketball players are in the sociology program? Don't tell me they all just happen to have the same interests. I'm with Roy on this one. Duke has been protected by the media for years. Its like Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan - the NCAA needed something to boost up as an example of good and, unfortunately, there are a lot of imperferctions at Duke. But the NCAA will hide them because its own image depends on Duke's. I suggest you read the article below and the relevant quotes I took out from it.

Why is it that you never heard about any of these guys' legal problems (i.e., sheldon williams = rape). If SLU was recruiting a guy with that kind of past this board would be up in arms and even the national media would be writing about Majerus being a slime ball.

The 3-point shooter whose name now escapes me was caught with pot and no one said a word about it.

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/not_royal.php

"The ESPN show suggested some players are taking 'easy' classes and majors to get their degrees and noted that an unusually high number of players are studying sociology, which is considered a light course taken by only a small percentage of the student body.

According to this season's media guide, three of the seven players who have decided on majors chose sociology. Williams, the second overall pick by the Chicago Bulls, graduated in three years with a sociology degree. Boozer, a second-round pick by Cleveland, also was a sociology major."

He will bring facts.

There's only one way to settle this.....

He will bring facts.

I like how you accuse people of not having their facts straight but rarely use facts to back up your counter-arguments.

MB73 - What is false about "the sociology major thing." Is it not a fact that an inordinate number of Duke basketball players are in the sociology program? Don't tell me they all just happen to have the same interests. I'm with Roy on this one. Duke has been protected by the media for years. Its like Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan - the NCAA needed something to boost up as an example of good and, unfortunately, there are a lot of imperferctions at Duke. But the NCAA will hide them because its own image depends on Duke's. I suggest you read the article below and the relevant quotes I took out from it.

Why is it that you never heard about any of these guys' legal problems (i.e., sheldon williams = rape). If SLU was recruiting a guy with that kind of past this board would be up in arms and even the national media would be writing about Majerus being a slime ball.

The 3-point shooter whose name now escapes me was caught with pot and no one said a word about it.

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/not_royal.php

"The ESPN show suggested some players are taking 'easy' classes and majors to get their degrees and noted that an unusually high number of players are studying sociology, which is considered a light course taken by only a small percentage of the student body.

According to this season's media guide, three of the seven players who have decided on majors chose sociology. Williams, the second overall pick by the Chicago Bulls, graduated in three years with a sociology degree. Boozer, a second-round pick by Cleveland, also was a sociology major."

What, two guys majored in sociology? Valid statistical sample?

Maybe look at Duke's current roster. Look under "personal".

Not one sociology major.

Economics, history, African American Studies, etc. Some not declared yet.

Note academic awards many received in high school, etc.

As for Sheldon Williams, I do not know what happened, do you?

But remember in the same town the minority-stripper-felon-drug-abuser on probation that was being taken to jail in a police vehicle for passing out in public at 2 am, then cried "rape"... got her out of jail.... you really never know what's going on, but the media gets it out there pretty fast and the male is damaged for life even if innocent. Nobody dared call her a liar.