We are making history!

The addition of Mr Loe to this team is a really big deal! I was trying to think and I cannot come up with a team with a group of better "bigs" since I have been watching for more than 4 decades. There have been very few big men we have had that I think were better than Willie and he is only a soph. Loe may be the most hightly regarded big man recruit in modern Billiken times. His selection for the Hoops Summit would suggest he is in the top ten best big men in the world at his age. The combination of the two of them is wonderful to contemplate. I can see them changing positons from 4 to 5 and playing high low. Then if you add Cory, who is really coming on and would be the best big off the bench in many years and conklin who is a real tough guy and Jon Smith who is a bonafide big time athlete--that all adds up to history--imo--the best group of big men we have ever had at SLU in the last 50 years. this staff continues to impress in its excellent recruiting.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having Willie and Loe in the post for the next two years has me very excited. The sky is the limit for Willie if he puts in the work in the offseason.

Is JSmith the most likely player to RS next year? Doubt Remekun will shirt, we need JJ, and all three frosh will play. We need a shirt to balance out the classes better. I say JSmith. What say you?

Guest BillikenReport

imo i think that Loe should play 4 even though he is a little taller than WR.WR belongs in the center position. jump shots are not his thing. Loe can shoot. I think he plays 4.

Majerus said last night that Remekun wouldn't redshirt next season, though of course its possible the coach could change his mind later.

Don't be surprised if Willie and Rob are almost the same height next season or if Rob is listed at 6-9 or 6-10.

Loe will likely play the four next to Willie. You will either have Loe and Ellis both competing for playing time at that spot or see Ellis move to the three. Majerus has said that Ellis needs to become a small forward to become a better player.

Also, add in the fact that Mitchell has an decent chance of setting the ALL TIME Billiken scoring record...He has 899 points currently, he needs 1,973 to pass Mr. Bonner....

Also, add in the fact that Mitchell has an decent chance of setting the ALL TIME Billiken scoring record...He has 899 points currently, he needs 1,973 to pass Mr. Bonner....

I would bet good money that he doesn't and I don't want him to. He'll be racking up assists more than points next year.

I would bet good money that he doesn't and I don't want him to. He'll be racking up assists more than points next year.

I don't think he will either, especially since hopefully we aren't going to need to rely on him to score as much next year...

Even if he gets 400 points/year for his last 2...which is about 13 points a game, that's 1700, which puts him around 5th...still pretty awesome...

1= KM 2= MM 3=CE 4=Loe 5=WW. This lineup sounds just nasty to me. KM will be dominant because he will not need to score nearly as much. MM really isnt a point guard. you can tell by watching him that 2 fits him perfect. which also fits our team perfect. I expect CE to get in shape because if he does we will see him having his way with smaller 3's. Loe is really gonna give us the ability to spread the court. Imagine 4 out offense with KM drive and dish, or dump to Wille. Im so exicted for next year!!! I dont see how we are going to be stopped. our length on defense is going to kill teams. Very Very promising future

Majerus said last night that Remekun wouldn't redshirt next season, though of course its possible the coach could change his mind later.

Don't be surprised if Willie and Rob are almost the same height next season or if Rob is listed at 6-9 or 6-10.

Loe will likely play the four next to Willie. You will either have Loe and Ellis both competing for playing time at that spot or see Ellis move to the three. Majerus has said that Ellis needs to become a small forward to become a better player.

Usually its the other way around, a small forward, moving to the power forward spot and having a mismatch, and in turn becoming a better/more effective player . I dont think Ellis at the small forward would necessarily make him a better player. He's been driving because opposing bigs havent been able to chase him out to the 3pt line where most of his attempts come from. As a small forward there will be a guy thats assigned to be out there and somebody he wont possibly have a quickness advantage over. Now if its for the purpose of putting your best 5 guys on the court, that makes sense and I can go along with that. But I'm not so sure he needs to become a small forward to become a better player.

Usually its the other way around, a small forward, moving to the power forward spot and having a mismatch, and in turn becoming a better/more effective player . I dont think Ellis at the small forward would necessarily make him a better player. He's been driving because opposing bigs havent been able to chase him out to the 3pt line where most of his attempts come from. As a small forward there will be a guy thats assigned to be out there and somebody he wont possibly have a quickness advantage over. Now if its for the purpose of putting your best 5 guys on the court, that makes sense and I can go along with that. But I'm not so sure he needs to become a small forward to become a better player.

That's true to a point. He may not have the quickness to take his man off the dribble at the 3, but if you move the ball quick enough he will be open for his shot. He will also be able to use his size and strength to receive a pass going to the basket off a pick. Not to mention did you see what he did in the 2nd half of the Princeton game with a smaller player on him. Like anything else, there are advantages and disadvantages. I would expect with RM he'll quickly figure out how to exploit his advantages.

Ya i agree with that. I just think he should start the game at 3. Obviously he can play the 4. But our team really doesnt have a great 3 gaurd. I think CE could be that. and then when WR and Loe need a breather, he could slide over to the 4. I would just like to see some scoring production out of that 3 gaurd position. KC didnt provide that. I think KC comes off the bench for MM and provides a little spark with his passing.

I think it would help him. He has decent handles and a good shot. He has shown a good bball IQ. If He is a PF he will not have a size advantage on whoever he is guarding, but if he is a SF he will be able to shoot over whoever is guarding him as well as post them up. he question is: can he guard opposing threes.

1= KM 2= MM 3=CE 4=Loe 5=WW. This lineup sounds just nasty to me. KM will be dominant because he will not need to score nearly as much. MM really isnt a point guard. you can tell by watching him that 2 fits him perfect. which also fits our team perfect. I expect CE to get in shape because if he does we will see him having his way with smaller 3's. Loe is really gonna give us the ability to spread the court. Imagine 4 out offense with KM drive and dish, or dump to Wille. Im so exicted for next year!!! I dont see how we are going to be stopped. our length on defense is going to kill teams. Very Very promising future

1-4 will be able to drain the 3 bigtime. When in doubt, just throw an oop to Willie. Monster lineup indeed. And no reason to expect that it'll change for 2 years. I just really don't know what to expect at all from next year's team. They could win the same number of games. They could win 30. Going to be exciting.

1-4 will be able to drain the 3 bigtime. When in doubt, just throw an oop to Willie. Monster lineup indeed. And no reason to expect that it'll change for 2 years. I just really don't know what to expect at all from next year's team. They could win the same number of games. They could win 30. Going to be exciting.

One prediction I will make for next year is you making a last minute, GREAT DECISION, to come to STL for 4 straight games. I think this time we might be trying to seal the conference title though. The Annex won't know what the F hit it! POOOOOOORTEEEEEERR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super news that we are getting Rob Loe to add to the excellent Chicago recruits. I am ready for our kids to get stronger and improve on their basketball skills over the off season. Then it is time to make our 1st trip to the Big Dance under Coach Majerus. This is a great time to be a Billiken fan. Like Billikan I have followed Billiken basketball for decades and I cannot remember when I have felt as euphoric over the next season and the teams prospects to hit heights that we will all be very proud of.

Top 5 Billikens scorers Freshman and Sophomore

Monroe Douglas 946

Roland Gray 919

Kwamain Mitchell 899

Erwin Claggett 840

Scot Highmark 834

Mitchell has an excellent chance of breaking the scoring record. We play more games in the regular season and he'll be playing more postseason games than anyone who's played in a Billiken uniform save Anthony Bonner. He's 200 points ahead of Bonner after his sophomore year. Mitchell was the best player by far on our team this year, I expect that to hold up. He'll continue to improve, he won't flameout like Monroe.

I agree with Majerus. As a team we don't necessarily need Ellis to be a 3 but if he wants a basketball future he needs to develop those skills. If Ellis gets quicker with better handles and his range out to Perth he could be an NBA prospect. If he develops into more of a college 4 with an outside shot he'll be teammates with Kevin Lisch.

Top 5 Billikens scorers Freshman and Sophomore

Monroe Douglas 946

Roland Gray 919

Kwamain Mitchell 899

Erwin Claggett 840

Scot Highmark 834

Mitchell has an excellent chance of breaking the scoring record. We play more games in the regular season and he'll be playing more postseason games than anyone who's played in a Billiken uniform save Anthony Bonner. He's 200 points ahead of Bonner after his sophomore year. Mitchell was the best player by far on our team this year, I expect that to hold up. He'll continue to improve, he won't flameout like Monroe.

I agree with Majerus. As a team we don't necessarily need Ellis to be a 3 but if he wants a basketball future he needs to develop those skills. If Ellis gets quicker with better handles and his range out to Perth he could be an NBA prospect. If he develops into more of a college 4 with an outside shot he'll be teammates with Kevin Lisch.

Roland was at pennies last night after the game. Until KM buys me a shot at Humphs, I am on Rolands side.

Roland was at pennies last night after the game. Until KM buys me a shot at Humphs, I am on Rolands side.

Bonner was dominating Humps about a month or two ago. I have a pic with him that I will post up here some time.

RM's best year....

Utah 1998 (NCAA runner up)

Starters

50 Alex Jensen 6-7 225 Junior Centerville UT

24 Andre Miller 6-2 203 Junior Los Angeles CA

13 Hanno Mottola 6-9 250 Sophomore Helsinki Finland

51 Michael Doleac 6-11 265 Senior Portland OR

34 Drew Hansen 6-5 185 Junior Tooele UT

Reserves

21 Trace Caton 6-5 214 Freshman Alamosa CO

31 Britton Johnsen 6-9 213 Freshman Murray UT

3 David Jackson 6-3 205 Sophomore Portland OR

42 Jon Carlisle 6-9 260 Freshman Salt Lake City UT

11 Jordie McTavish 6-1 160 Sophomore Salmon Arm BC

We may not have an NBA player (yet) but we are starting to look like teams that Majerus has success with....

SLU 2011

Starters

3 Kwamain Mitchell JR G 5-10 175

24 Cody Ellis SO F 6-8 240

33 Willie Reed JR F 6-9 220

23 Kyle Cassity JR G 6-3 200 (his D will keep him in the line-up)

Rob Loe FR F 6-11

Off the bench?

Mike McCall FR G 6-1 (he will be our 6th man)

Dwane Evans FR F 6-5 (PT will depend on his D)

12 Justin Jordan SO G 5-9 170 (if he makes good decisions on the court)

14 Brian Conklin JR F 6-6 230 (muscle off the bench)

15 Christian Salecich SO G 6-3 190 (can focus more as a shooter off the bench)

32 Cory Remekun SO F 6-7 205 (he will put on 20 lbs in off season)

Who knows?

10 Paul Eckerle JR G 6-1 175 (med school?)

20 Darrin Young SO G 5-10 165 (VCU was his day in the sun)

21 Jon Smith SO F 6-5 190 (he needs to make better on-court decisions)

13 Femi John SO G 6-2 205 (will he ever be healthy?)

We should have "Fun at the 'Fetz" in 10-11

RM's best year....

Utah 1998 (NCAA runner up)

Starters

50 Alex Jensen 6-7 225 Junior Centerville UT

24 Andre Miller 6-2 203 Junior Los Angeles CA

13 Hanno Mottola 6-9 250 Sophomore Helsinki Finland

51 Michael Doleac 6-11 265 Senior Portland OR

34 Drew Hansen 6-5 185 Junior Tooele UT

Reserves

21 Trace Caton 6-5 214 Freshman Alamosa CO

31 Britton Johnsen 6-9 213 Freshman Murray UT

3 David Jackson 6-3 205 Sophomore Portland OR

42 Jon Carlisle 6-9 260 Freshman Salt Lake City UT

11 Jordie McTavish 6-1 160 Sophomore Salmon Arm BC

We may not have an NBA player (yet) but we are starting to look like teams that Majerus has success with....

SLU 2011

Starters

3 Kwamain Mitchell JR G 5-10 175

24 Cody Ellis SO F 6-8 240

33 Willie Reed JR F 6-9 220

23 Kyle Cassity JR G 6-3 200 (his D will keep him in the line-up)

Rob Loe FR F 6-11

Off the bench?

Mike McCall FR G 6-1 (he will be our 6th man)

Dwane Evans FR F 6-5 (PT will depend on his D)

12 Justin Jordan SO G 5-9 170 (if he makes good decisions on the court)

14 Brian Conklin JR F 6-6 230 (muscle off the bench)

15 Christian Salecich SO G 6-3 190 (can focus more as a shooter off the bench)

32 Cory Remekun SO F 6-7 205 (he will put on 20 lbs in off season)

Who knows?

10 Paul Eckerle JR G 6-1 175 (med school?)

20 Darrin Young SO G 5-10 165 (VCU was his day in the sun)

21 Jon Smith SO F 6-5 190 (he needs to make better on-court decisions)

13 Femi John SO G 6-2 205 (will he ever be healthy?)

We should have "Fun at the 'Fetz" in 10-11

Just tuned in to the Loe news. How good is that? Really really excited for our chances next year. It's only 6 mos away. Keeping my fingers crossed we don't have any clearinghouse issues w/ NCAA. As for lineups, I expect KC to start the season as our #2. RM values good D over just about everything else, and am sure they will hound him over the summer to get more aggressive and improve his 3's. But what's really great about this is the depth. Fatigue and injuries should not be a problem next year. As for CE, yes he'll have a lot to work on over the summer, conditioning being numero uno as he'll be asked to guard a quick #3. Geez, if Loe is as good as advertised from inside and out, who in the A-10 can stop this team? Also, wouldn't be surprised if RM brings him along slowly and he's not a starter until around January. If the effort's put in over the summer this team could at the least be a sweet 16'er.

Just tuned in to the Loe news. How good is that? Really really excited for our chances next year. It's only 6 mos away. Keeping my fingers crossed we don't have any clearinghouse issues w/ NCAA. As for lineups, I expect KC to start the season as our #2. RM values good D over just about everything else, and am sure they will hound him over the summer to get more aggressive and improve his 3's. But what's really great about this is the depth. Fatigue and injuries should not be a problem next year. As for CE, yes he'll have a lot to work on over the summer, conditioning being numero uno as he'll be asked to guard a quick #3. Geez, if Loe is as good as advertised from inside and out, who in the A-10 can stop this team? Also, wouldn't be surprised if RM brings him along slowly and he's not a starter until around January. If the effort's put in over the summer this team could at the least be a sweet 16'er.

I agree with most of what you wrote. However, I really think that Loe will start from day one. Most of us thought Majerus would bring Cody along slowly and he ended up starting the whole conference season and averaging 28 MPG. Assuming Loe comes in on time with no NCAA issues, I see no reason why he won't be starting right away and playing major minutes. As for KC, I think he will be starting at the 2 as well. With Loe in the lineup now, you will have 4 major scoring options on the floor at once. Thus, KC's passiveness on offense won't necessarily be a bad thing, as he will be able to facilitate all the other scorers. Also, his defense will definitely be needed with this lineup, especially with Cody potentially having to deal with a quick 3 (and Cody's defense needs a LOT of work.)

Honestly, I have never been this excited about a team. October seems so very, very far away!

The other things to keep in mind about next year's line up is our depth and flexibility.

As we stood this year--the coaches regulary switched guys in and out of the lineup--especially our bigs. With the addition of MM, DE and RL we now have many, many more line up / match up options as well as the ability to only run guys 20-25 minutes a game consistantly. Depending on many things we could have some serious match nightmares for opposing teams. IF Cody continues to work on his strength and post game--that would require the other team to have 3 legit bigs on the floor at a time and if that is the case both Cody and Rob can/should light it up from "way down under." Also, depending upon DE's development--he could be a true 3 that has kind of been missing. He and Cody may end up splitting time. The again Cody may split time at both the 3 and the 4. MM may be the sharp shooter we have all coveted for so long and he may see a lot of time as a true 2, but can probably be a 2 also. Heck CS may find his shot and be the 40% 3 pt machine we all hoped he would be, his D came a long way this year and he is now very good at that end. Plus, CS showed true grit on several occasions and sprinkled in the ability to take it to the hole. The same can be said for KC--a true competitor and our best "lock-down" defender. Plus, he has been our best assist man. He can be a 1, 2, or 3. JJ is scoring machine--he came a long way on the other end and hopefully he fully recovers and comes back beter than ever. He is best suited as a 2, but can fill in as a 1 also.

We may run 3 or even 4 guard sets and conversely we may run 3 or even 4 big man sets. RM will truly have some major flexibility--assuming a lot of these things fall into place, but RL should be able to play a true big poisition--we all know that WR is going to dominate the lane next year, CR showed down the stretch that is going to be a force to reckoned with in the paint next year. How fun would this lineup be: WR, CR, RL, CE and take your pick on the guard--heck let cody bring it up and put JS in the game too. Then Cody can just shoot the ball from just inside half court and let the play above the rim take place.

It is definitely going to be fun and I can't wait.

The other things to keep in mind about next year's line up is our depth and flexibility.

As we stood this year--the coaches regulary switched guys in and out of the lineup--especially our bigs. With the addition of MM, DE and RL we now have many, many more line up / match up options as well as the ability to only run guys 20-25 minutes a game consistantly. Depending on many things we could have some serious match nightmares for opposing teams. IF Cody continues to work on his strength and post game--that would require the other team to have 3 legit bigs on the floor at a time and if that is the case both Cody and Rob can/should light it up from "way down under." Also, depending upon DE's development--he could be a true 3 that has kind of been missing. He and Cody may end up splitting time. The again Cody may split time at both the 3 and the 4. MM may be the sharp shooter we have all coveted for so long and he may see a lot of time as a true 2, but can probably be a 2 also. Heck CS may find his shot and be the 40% 3 pt machine we all hoped he would be, his D came a long way this year and he is now very good at that end. Plus, CS showed true grit on several occasions and sprinkled in the ability to take it to the hole. The same can be said for KC--a true competitor and our best "lock-down" defender. Plus, he has been our best assist man. He can be a 1, 2, or 3. JJ is scoring machine--he came a long way on the other end and hopefully he fully recovers and comes back beter than ever. He is best suited as a 2, but can fill in as a 1 also.

We may run 3 or even 4 guard sets and conversely we may run 3 or even 4 big man sets. RM will truly have some major flexibility--assuming a lot of these things fall into place, but RL should be able to play a true big poisition--we all know that WR is going to dominate the lane next year, CR showed down the stretch that is going to be a force to reckoned with in the paint next year. How fun would this lineup be: WR, CR, RL, CE and take your pick on the guard--heck let cody bring it up and put JS in the game too. Then Cody can just shoot the ball from just inside half court and let the play above the rim take place.

It is definitely going to be fun and I can't wait.

The amazing thing is the depth of quality, high potential "bigs".

We have NEVER been even close to this caliber of big, tall, diverse talents especially at "4-5", but also "3".

Guards win games, but they are plentiful in the marketplace... we have had plenty of "plus" guards over the last 30+ yrs.

But Reed, Ellis, Loe, Remeken, Conkin, Smith, Evans... unbelievable! (need to hit the weight room, though)

Should be a good couple of yrs.... maybe "great".

Rob Loe ESPN

Status

Verbal

Scouts Grade 91

Evaluation

April, 2010: Loe, from Westlake High School in Auckland, NZ, is the #1 overall prospect in New Zealand's 2010 class and was highly coveted by schools in the Big 12, Big East and ACC. Loe is a big time commitment for the Bilikens, he brings immediate size at 6'11 235lbs. What's most impressive is Loe's skill set and versatility to play both inside and also on the perimeter. He can stretch the defense with his shooting ability and use his size and strength to be a force in the post. Loe is a perfect fit for Coach Majerus and his system with his passing skills and feel for the game he will have an immediate impact for a very young and talented team already in the upper echelon of the A-10.

Is JSmith the most likely player to RS next year? Doubt Remekun will shirt, we need JJ, and all three frosh will play. We need a shirt to balance out the classes better. I say JSmith. What say you?

I don't believe that RM will red shirt any player next year. The time to do that is in their freshman year. JS should be ready to step up and play more minutes next year so no point in red shirting him. Also, RM is tired of playing with a short team - he wants a full compliment because of injuries that can happen. My guess is all 13 schollie players will be playing next year.