Jeff Reid: Transfering

Let's try this again without the topic degenerating:

http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/m-baskb.../040110aaa.html

April 1, 2010

Saint Louis University head men's basketball coach Rick Majerus announced today that freshman guard Jeff Reid (Topeka, Kan. / Hayden) has decided to transfer to another school. Reid has indicated to the Billiken coaching staff he would like to play closer to home.

"Jeff is a great young man, a terrific student and a wonderful teammate," Majerus said. "He played with passion, and I can appreciate his wanting to be closer to home. We wish Jeff well. His family and I will forever remain friends. Wherever Jeff decides to go to school, that coach and Jeff's teammates will be lucky to have him on board."

Reid played in five of the first six games for the Billikens but did not play after the Notre Dame game due to an injury.

Many of us had doubts that he would be able to play basketball again, which is sad. I hope that he can. This is not much of a surprise sometimes you just feel left behind and maybe a fresh start will be better. Or maybe he needed to stay close to home due to lingering effects of the concussion.

Agreed. Good luck to the kid. I hope he can get his educational and athletic endeavors back on track.

Good luck Mr. Reid.

Help me out here: Our roster shows 7 scholarship players as freshman(DYoung is a frosh walk-on, so I'm not counting him,) and 4 as sophomores. Eckerle makes 12. Three new recruits makes 15, Reid's departure makes 14. Is there someone else who needs to transfer or have their scholly pulled to get us to 13?

Good luck Mr. Reid.

Help me out here: Our roster shows 7 scholarship players as freshman(DYoung is a frosh walk-on, so I'm not counting him,) and 4 as sophomores. Eckerle makes 12. Three new recruits makes 15, Reid's departure makes 14. Is there someone else who needs to transfer or have their scholly pulled to get us to 13?

As has been reported previously, Paul is giving up his athletic schollie - always was going to be this way when he got it - he plans to play on an academic schollie that he had to start with.

As has been reported previously, Paul is giving up his athletic schollie - always was going to be this way when he got it - he plans to play on an academic schollie that he had to start with.

Thanks, sorry I missed that it was definite. Thought it was a possibility but didn't realize it was a done deal.

So, next year we have no scholarships to give?

Correct, unless someone else decides to transfer. It is pretty common for people to transfer this time of the year. In fact, 4 players are leaving the Utah program right now. Kramer Soderberg just left Miami Ohio. So, there's a possibility, maybe even a probability, that one or more players you saw last night playing for us will be tranferring.

Sounds like Majerus may not be done. May need to free up another scholarship. Reid transferring comes as no surprise. Who could be next? Maybe KC can pull down an academic full ride.

just spoke with JR.

He is not coming back because his head is still messed up and doubts he will be able to do much this summer and is unsure about next fall.

So this was a mutual parting, not a forcing out on RickMa's part.

just spoke with JR.

He is not coming back because his head is still messed up and doubts he will be able to do much this summer and is unsure about next fall.

So this was a mutual parting, not a forcing out on RickMa's part.

Am I the only one that finds it interesting that they needed a scholarship for Loe and now they have one. Just saying.

Am I the only one that finds it interesting that they needed a scholarship for Loe and now they have one. Just saying.

Not at all. I thought the same thing which is why I spoke to him about it. He said it had been decided for awhile but they were waiting for the season to end to announce it.

No surprise it took you so long to become a senior. Ever think it is possible that it was known that Jeff would not come back thus having a replacement in hand. To me this is good planning. Better than us getting cut short losing a player and not having an opportunity to replace them like last year with BT. Looks like an opportunity for you to make the coaching staff look bad when it is not deserved. Who is your favorite tam?

Not at all. I thought the same thing which is why I spoke to him about it. He said it had been decided for awhile but they were waiting for the season to end to announce it.

It is good to get confirmation of this.

Its obvious to me at least that RM didn't call up Jeff this morning and tell him he wasn't coming back. This has been something both parties knew about for a while but decided to keep under wraps until the end of the season.

I truly hope Jeff makes a full recovery and is able to do whatver he sets out to do.

Its obvious to me at least that RM didn't call up Jeff this morning and tell him he wasn't coming back. This has been something both parties knew about for a while but decided to keep under wraps until the end of the season.

I truly hope Jeff makes a full recovery and is able to do whatver he sets out to do.

Confirmation brings closure; but, JR has not been at any games like Femi and PE-so we had to expect that this was the natureal course of events. We all hate to see kids like, Femi, PE, Jeff Reid get hurt. Some can make a full recovery but

many with knee problems, etc are just never going to compete at the same level, again,

We could have used JR we needed and still need a sharp shooter who can nail threes more than 40 percent of the time.

We need the toughness of Femi.

We need the Basketball IQ of PE

These guys were all recruited for their potential to be Billikens

GOSLU

I figured they were waiting for the season to end. Classy move on everyone's part. I think this should shut up the people on here that will blast RM for kicking an injured player to the curb or ripping the scholarship from someone unfairly. It is pretty amazing how some will automatically assume the worst case scenario in RM's handling of players; later, when the smoke clears we find out that it was handled well. Shocker!

By the way, I was really looking forward to seeing Reid progress this year. This is a disappointing loss to the program. Great to have Loe coming though!