Rob Loe a Billiken

Yeah, I thought he was going to go there, too, but hadn't heard anything official yet. I'm not sure we're in on any other Juco guys at this point, and frankly I don't want to be. I don't want anyone else to leave to make room for one; I love this roster we have now.

+1.

Especially if Femi comes back healthy.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Strickland is saying that Jeff Reid didnt want to transfer and there is more to come most likely. He mentioned Femi and JJ as possible people to leave as well. I dont believe a lot of crap he says.

Jeez. We know better than to listen to anything he has to say. To suggest that JJ would leave seems especially ridiculous, even by Strickland's standards.

I completely agree that I love this line up we have now, but if we can add more talent...

It is the age-old question, where do you draw the line. I think playing time is already going to be at a premium and harder than ever to come by for a lot of guys on this team now. Adding another stud to the mix will only make that problem worse for several guys.

I personally, while I know it is a crappy thing to do and very rough on the guys involved, have no problem with bringing in more talent and letting the best man win. That is the way it has always been and will always be.

Heck it starts that way even in JR high. Several elementary schools' worth of atheletes compete to make one team for the junior high--some players don't make the cut. It only continues yet again at High school. Why should it be any different at college? Yes i know it IS different at college, because of the monetary value attached to the scholarship, but the principle is still the same. The best players get to be on the team. This is my personal view.

Also, the level of talent on this team right now top to bottom is good enough to play at many, many schools, that would be more than happy to have them--and they would more than likely get much more playing time and get to be more of a star. Yes, they may not get to be a Billiken, but honestly how many of the current guys on our team grew up dreaming of one day playing for SLU? If the over/under is 1 I am betting the under. DY may be the only exception--FJ perhaps. We are not an iconic program like KY, DUKE or UNC (where this stuff happens regularly btw.) I also understand that a degree from SLU is a bit more valuable than one from "West Eastern State" but, again even to be regular a student at slu you have to be at a certain level. If your grades and test scores aren't up to snuff you don'tget in. The same holds true for the athletic teams--you have to be a certain level to play on the team. This is the price of being a top program. It really is simple--the best players (not by default the ones we stumbled on first) get to be on the the team and the weaker players don't--just like it has alwyas been.

As stated above I am all for recruiting above our current players--it makes the program better, and in the long run it will help many, many more people than the few displaced players along the way. If we have a legit shot at the Clyburn kid, (assuming he is as good as advertised) I say we need to go for it. From what I have read--which is limited, he seems to be the real deal. I read somewhere yesterday that he had verbally committed to IAST and that the rumors of the coaching position unrest hasn't changed his mind. That may not be true. That sounds like the very PC thing to say--especially to the local IA paper that printed the story. If he can help our program and add productive minutes right away, we would be a bit silly not get him. Better players=more wins=better program in the long run. That really is program--the players you get to come and play for it. KY is not KY without its long string of talented players playing for that team year after year. Jerseys don't win the games, the most talented players do.

I know that this subject has been discussed at great length on here and many people are very passionate about the topic. I am not calling anyone names, purposely trying to stir the pot, nor do I wish to p**s anyone off--this is just my opinion.

Jeez. We know better than to listen to anything he has to say. To suggest that JJ would leave seems especially ridiculous, even by Strickland's standards.

First let me make one thing perfectly CLEAR------I can't stand AS and see him as the scum of the local media who only has a job because BM has his back.

Having said that, I don't think his speculation at this point is too far off the mark, especially if we can get WC. In another post today I gave good reasons why neither JS or JJ (concurred with Skip) might want to transfer (get more PT). I just realized that in those calculations I completely forgot about FJ.. For the same math reasons as apply to JJ and JS I would not be surprised to see Femi leave for more PT. With the talent and depth we have available next year there just aren't minutes to go around, especially if we add a player of WC's ability.

Strickland's comments make sense --- in terms of an anti-Billiken basher. Of course he's going to say Reid was forced out. I really don't know what the deal was and suspect we will hear it ten ways from Sunday. If roy wants to believe that, its his right. Unoless you are talking to the Reids, how do you really know?

Also, from a distant view, it makes complete "sense" to then target someone else. As I look at the roster, who do I see? Guess what --- its Jordan and John. Not that I'm advocating any of it but it makes the most "sense." How and why? First Jordan.

Is Jordan a point guard? If so, he's looking at two more years behind Mitchell. Is he a shooting guard? If he is, then its two more years behind Cassity and all three years along side Salecich. Now factor in McCall. The guy appears physically to be Jordan's mirror image. With the same mirror questions. So now, it you place McCall above Jordan, Jorden drops a slot on each list. Plus recovering from an injury. Let me throw this wrench into the equation --- the wonderful gurus at ESPN gave Jordan an 87 rating last year. McCall has a given 82. Jeff Reid also had an 87. Smith and Salecich had 88s ---- both higher than Ellis also with an 87. Rob Loe has a 91. Conversely, both Cassity and John received matching 40s the year before.

Ah yes, Femi John. Strickland seconds what I see from afar. Why? Two years of Femi and two injuries. Can anybody say Floyd McClain? All I'm saying is that for an above-average Billiken follower like me to see this, it makes complete sense for a deadbeat like Strickland cto ome to the same conclusions. It's not that hard.

The highest number any Billiken has received in this system was Brett Thompson's 89. Loe is two points higher. What does that mean? Chris Braswell at Charlotte got a 90. Dayton's Paul Williams a 93; Chris Johnson a 78 (I'll take Johnson). Matt Kavanaugh an 89 (Thompson-esque). Look out -- incoming Flyers Staten (94), Spearman (91) and Berry (91) are all at or above Loe's grade. Yikes. Justin Martin is a 95 coming into Xavier. But so to was Kenny Frease.

All I'm saying is Strickland is making a really easy guess when he looks at our roster and plays the what if game. But the A10 is going to be competitive for years down the line. Any of us that think "yeah, buddy, we're over the hump now" is fooling themselves.

Is Jordan a point guard? If so, he's looking at two more years behind Mitchell. Is he a shooting guard? If he is, then its two more years behind Cassity and all three years along side Salecich. Now factor in McCall. The guy appears physically to be Jordan's mirror image. With the same mirror questions. So now, it you place McCall above Jordan, Jorden drops a slot on each list. Plus recovering from an injury. Let me throw this wrench into the equation --- the wonderful gurus at ESPN gave Jordan an 87 rating last year. McCall has a given 82. Jeff Reid also had an 87. Smith and Salecich had 88s ---- both higher than Ellis also with an 87. Rob Loe has a 91. Conversely, both Cassity and John received matching 40s the year before.

The highest number any Billiken has received in this system was Brett Thompson's 89. Loe is two points higher. What does that mean? Chris Braswell at Charlotte got a 90. Dayton's Paul Williams a 93; Chris Johnson a 78 (I'll take Johnson). Matt Kavanaugh an 89 (Thompson-esque). Look out -- incoming Flyers Staten (94), Spearman (91) and Berry (91) are all at or above Loe's grade. Yikes. Justin Martin is a 95 coming into Xavier. But so to was Kenny Frease.

ESPN's ratings are a joke. They probably haven't even seen most of these kids play.

Also, ESPN changed their rating system a year or two ago so, for example, if Thompson were rated with the new system he probably would be a 93 or so.

Strickland's comments make sense --- in terms of an anti-Billiken basher. Of course he's going to say Reid was forced out. I really don't know what the deal was and suspect we will hear it ten ways from Sunday. If roy wants to believe that, its his right. Unoless you are talking to the Reids, how do you really know?

Also, from a distant view, it makes complete "sense" to then target someone else. As I look at the roster, who do I see? Guess what --- its Jordan and John. Not that I'm advocating any of it but it makes the most "sense." How and why? First Jordan.

Ah yes, Femi John. Strickland seconds what I see from afar. Why? Two years of Femi and two injuries. Can anybody say Floyd McClain? All I'm saying is that for an above-average Billiken follower like me to see this, it makes complete sense for a deadbeat like Strickland cto ome to the same conclusions. It's not that hard.

All I'm saying is Strickland is making a really easy guess when he looks at our roster and plays the what if game. But the A10 is going to be competitive for years down the line. Any of us that think "yeah, buddy, we're over the hump now" is fooling themselves.

According to this article, Majerus was in Topeka to visit with the Reid family. Classy move, imo. Also, clean break according to the Reid camp.

Reid Topeka Article

First let me make one thing perfectly CLEAR------I can't stand AS and see him as the scum of the local media who only has a job because BM has his back.

Having said that, I don't think his speculation at this point is too far off the mark, especially if we can get WC. In another post today I gave good reasons why neither JS or JJ (concurred with Skip) might want to transfer (get more PT). I just realized that in those calculations I completely forgot about FJ.. For the same math reasons as apply to JJ and JS I would not be surprised to see Femi leave for more PT. With the talent and depth we have available next year there just aren't minutes to go around, especially if we add a player of WC's ability.

I heard the AS comments. It was nothing but pure speculation although he claimed it was inside information.

He claimed JR wanted to come back. That has already been proven to be wrong by multiple articles, quotes from Bishop, etc.

He claimed Eckerle would transfer. Frank had to correct him and tell him Eckerle would be on partial academic scholarship.

As for his claim that others may be forced out. Its nothing but pure speculation that could easily be garnered by reading this board for 20 minutes or so.

Just because the guy has a spot on some local radio shows does not mean that he is connected or has inside information. He was simply repeating some of the same theories people have on this board (I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually a poster on this board). Zero credence should be given to what he has to say, especially given that he has been proven wrong on two aspects "of what he's hearing" already. Remember, he also claimed to "know" that Cotto and Reed would not be academically eligible.

A local scumbag or Reid, his HS coach, Rick Majerus, and first hand accounts of speaking TO Reid....tough choice.

If you make up enough rumors, you're bound to be right about one of them. A blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in awhile...

I heard the AS comments. It was nothing but pure speculation although he claimed it was inside information.

He claimed JR wanted to come back. That has already been proven to be wrong by multiple articles, quotes from Bishop, etc.

He claimed Eckerle would transfer. Frank had to correct him and tell him Eckerle would be on partial academic scholarship.

As for his claim that others may be forced out. Its nothing but pure speculation that could easily be garnered by reading this board for 20 minutes or so.

Just because the guy has a spot on some local radio shows does not mean that he is connected or has inside information. He was simply repeating some of the same theories people have on this board (I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually a poster on this board). Zero credence should be given to what he has to say, especially given that he has been proven wrong on two aspects "of what he's hearing" already. Remember, he also claimed to "know" that Cotto and Reed would not be academically eligible.

It is pretty frustrating that an idiot like AS is allowed to speculate and create rumors over the air. Too bad there isn't some accountability with his bogus statements. He is emerging from his previous rumors that proved to be completely false. Someone should do St. Louis a favor in regard to AS and pump down the volume.

i dont think strickland has been correct on a single bold statement he has ever made about the billikens. he is the definition of scum reporter.

i dont think strickland has been correct on a single bold statement he has ever made about the billikens. he is the definition of scum reporter.

What I really don't get is why Cusumano had him on the show to discuss Billiken inside info. Thanfully Frank corrected him on a couple things but given that Frank has about 100X the connections at SLU that Strickland has he should know better than to allow him to talk as if he is an "insider."

Strickland may be right that somebody else might transfer but I find his description of the Reid matter to be hard to understand. Why would the h.s. coach speak so highly of RM and the situation regarding how it was handled if RM forced JR out? - sorry it makes no sense. RM went to the kid's home to talk with them - if he was going to simply dump on the kid then he could have done it my phone or email - not saying that is a good way to do it but I am sure RM wanted to find out what was really going on in their minds. I guess the conversation could have gone something like this: RM asks what are your thoughts about next year. JR and parents say, not sure still playing it my ear. RM then says, can you give me the odds on your coming back. JR and parents say, 50/50. RM then says, well here is the deal, if you want to come back then you can but I really need to know now because I can not find myself with 8 players again next year - it is not fair to the players on the roster. I have a couple of recruits who want to come but I need a schollie for them so if you are really that unsure can you just decide in the next couple of days. By the way, you know you can come back to SLU even if you choose not to play because the school will honor their commitment to you as a academic grant - your choice just let me know as soon as possible. JR and family slept on it and say, you know what he is right this is not fair to the rest of the team especially since we won't know for sometime about the concussion. We just think it best that you be closer to home in case this concussion thing barks back up.

I do agree that FJ, injuries seem to be problematic and JJ - well he just might be to small to get meaningful minutes in the future - who knows.

Just spoke with JR... His quote word for word "No I was not forced to leave. Coach offered me a chance to come back. I just can't do it right now"

Issue dead.

Please help me - did you really talk to JR or is this a sarcastic post? I am sorry but I was unaware of your connection with JR that is why I asked.

Strickland may be right that somebody else might transfer but I find his description of the Reid matter to be hard to understand. Why would the h.s. coach speak so highly of RM and the situation regarding how it was handled if RM forced JR out? - sorry it makes no sense. RM went to the kid's home to talk with them - if he was going to simply dump on the kid then he could have done it my phone or email - not saying that is a good way to do it but I am sure RM wanted to find out what was really going on in their minds. I guess the conversation could have gone something like this: RM asks what are your thoughts about next year. JR and parents say, not sure still playing it my ear. RM then says, can you give me the odds on your coming back. JR and parents say, 50/50. RM then says, well here is the deal, if you want to come back then you can but I really need to know now because I can not find myself with 8 players again next year - it is not fair to the players on the roster. I have a couple of recruits who want to come but I need a schollie for them so if you are really that unsure can you just decide in the next couple of days. By the way, you know you can come back to SLU even if you choose not to play because the school will honor their commitment to you as a academic grant - your choice just let me know as soon as possible. JR and family slept on it and say, you know what he is right this is not fair to the rest of the team especially since we won't know for sometime about the concussion. We just think it best that you be closer to home in case this concussion thing barks back up.

I do agree that FJ, injuries seem to be problematic and JJ - well he just might be to small to get meaningful minutes in the future - who knows.

Wouldn't be too surprised if JJ were to leave. McCall will be a better player coming in and even after KM graduates, McCall will get the reins on the team, not JJ. And like you said, he might be too small to get meaningful minutes.

MM is 6' JJ is 5'9. They weigh about the same but given that MM is still in h.s. my guess is he will weight a bit more by the time the season starts next year. I would hardly call them a mirror of each other. MM is even taller than KM.

We all think there are teams out there that are good models like x, zags, Butler et.... To get to that status things need to be different. Looking at Xavier's Roster, they have one senior, and perhaps Crawford will go pro. I would assume with fourteen on the roster they have used their 13 schollies, so they have one maybe two to give. However they have FOUR recruits listed as signed for next year.

What I really don't get is why Cusumano had him on the show to discuss Billiken inside info. Thanfully Frank corrected him on a couple things but given that Frank has about 100X the connections at SLU that Strickland has he should know better than to allow him to talk as if he is an "insider."

Frank didn't say a word when Strickland was spouting his BS. In my opinion it is unconscionable to make conjecture about players leaving. He has no inside info; he is just a douchebag talking to hear his head rattle. I know that Strickland works for 590 but in my opinion it was really chickenbleep for Frank to not call him out on his supposed inside information. No one of any consequence would give this nimrod any real informaiton.

Wouldn't be too surprised if JJ were to leave. McCall will be a better player coming in and even after KM graduates, McCall will get the reins on the team, not JJ. And like you said, he might be too small to get meaningful minutes.

Then why was he recruited? RM knew how small he is. Evidently his size was not a problem for RM. He should be judged by his ability, not his size.