Cassity's game last night

Ok, I read through the dozens of other pages on here this morning and here is my take. (It changed just a bit from last night before I read everything.)

During the second half of last night's game, Kyle's first shift lead directly to 4 points for VCU. He was sleeping under the basket on an inbounds play and then proceeded to turn it over that lead to a dunk. His next shift directly resulted in 5 points--two turnovers that lead to an easy two and an open three in transition. This isn't taking into account the fact that he was following all night and at least a step behind on defense--usually his strong suit, and giving up buckets he normally doesn't.

At this point I only had 2 possible scenarios for his performance.

He is suffereing from an acute case of Mono

or

He had money bet on the game, and not on the Bills.

Again, this was my thinking last night. Now after reading everything on here this morning, he is supposedly injured?

What is this mysterious injury? Out of gas? He looked like that and then some. He appeared to not have anything left in the tank--because he is a true hustler and role model for young players, but he also had major lapses in concentration. He just SEEMED to be very indifferent out there last night--which of course hasn't been the case all year. I have been on the fence with Cassity all year--usually being a defender, but last night I was anything but. Lackidasical doesn't begin to describe his effort. Now again if he truly were injured, then I fully give him a pass. I am just not aware of any injury other than being tired. Really? Is tired the reason? That is pretty weak--there were several other basekteball players out there that have been through just as much and didn't suffer the lapses. Maybe it was just an off night, but it was difficult to watch.

I doubt seriously he is a gambler so Mono is what I went to bed last night concluding. Now, maybe he was palying hurt?

He had a good year and that was a very rough way to end it. Luckily we don't have any seniors and we get to see this group come back again next year--hopefully rested and ready to dominate.

Ok, I read through the dozens of other pages on here this morning and here is my take. (It changed just a bit from last night before I read everything.)

During the second half of last night's game, Kyle's first shift lead directly to 4 points for VCU. He was sleeping under the basket on an inbounds play and then proceeded to turn it over that lead to a dunk. His next shift directly resulted in 5 points--two turnovers that lead to an easy two and an open three in transition. This isn't taking into account the fact that he was following all night and at least a step behind on defense--usually his strong suit, and giving up buckets he normally doesn't.

or

Again, this was my thinking last night. Now after reading everything on here this morning, he is supposedly injured?

What is this mysterious injury? Out of gas? He looked like that and then some. He appeared to not have anything left in the tank--because he is a true hustler and role model for young players, but he also had major lapses in concentration. He just SEEMED to be very indifferent out there last night--which of course hasn't been the case all year. I have been on the fence with Cassity all year--usually being a defender, but last night I was anything but. Lackidasical doesn't begin to describe his effort. Now again if he truly were injured, then I fully give him a pass. I am just not aware of any injury other than being tired. Really? Is tired the reason? That is pretty weak--there were several other basekteball players out there that have been through just as much and didn't suffer the lapses. Maybe it was just an off night, but it was difficult to watch.

I doubt seriously he is a gambler so Mono is what I went to bed last night concluding. Now, maybe he was palying hurt?

He had a good year and that was a very rough way to end it. Luckily we don't have any seniors and we get to see this group come back again next year--hopefully rested and ready to dominate.

Cassity was injured and weary from VCU's vicious, deep, bullying press...

Rememeber, Billikens 3 guards starters have no backups, we're missing guards 4-5-6 (though they put in walk on Young).

Coach was going to keep Cassity out with the injury but he insisted on playing.

And you critcize the kid?

I wish you and some other posters (so called "fans") would show a little class as it relates to the kids, they have been beat up but busting their asses out there. But I doubt that you and a few others that take cheap pot shots at these youngsters know what the word "class" means.

or

wow , according to the boxscore (kyle had 3 turnovers for the game), you actually detailed everyone of kyle's turnovers for the entire game.

if i was to pick the difference in the game last night i would prefer to focus on the 2-18 three point performance. now if you could be so kind as to detail who shot and missed all of the three point attempts for the billikens last night that might tell us more because if we shoot 33% that would have equated to what would have been game winning 12 more points.

that said, again threes are all about legs. and exhaustion would take the legs and cause those three misses. we lost because of team exhaustion. not because kyle had three turnovers.

Cassity was injured and weary from VCU's vicious, deep, bullying press...

Rememeber, Billikens 3 guards starters have no backups, we're missing guards 4-5-6 (though they put in walk on Young).

Coach was going to keep Cassity out with the injury but he insisted on playing.

And you critcize the kid?

I wish you and some other posters (so called "fans") would show a little class as it relates to the kids, they have been beat up but busting their asses out there. But I doubt that you and a few others that take cheap pot shots know what the word "class" means.

My intention isn't to be mean, but last night's game was way out of character for him. If he truly was hurt, ok, but was he hurt? "Weary" isn't an injury. I understand that we were shorthanded, and I even forgive the turnovers, but mental lapses were a bit much. Again, he may just have been worn down from a long season and playing a TON of minutes and ALWAYS guarding the opponents main guy (which is extremely draining.) If that really is the case than so be it. I am fine with it. It didn't make it any easier to watch last night, though. Losing is rough enough. Losing at home even worse. Watching them hoist the trophy on our floor worse yet. Losing because of our own mistakes--the most painful of all.

wow , according to the boxscore (kyle had 3 turnovers for the game), you actually detailed everyone of kyle's turnovers for the entire game.

if i was to pick the difference in the game last night i would prefer to focus on the 2-18 three point performance. now if you could be so kind as to detail who shot and missed all of the three point attempts for the billikens last night that might tell us more because if we shoot 33% that would have equated to what would have been game winning 12 more points.

that said, again threes are all about legs. and exhaustion would take the legs and cause those three misses. we lost because of team exhaustion. not because kyle had three turnovers.

Fair enough. Good point--we couldn't hit water if we fell out of boat lfrom the outside last night.

My intention isn't to be mean, but last night's game was way out of character for him. If he truly was hurt, ok, but was he hurt? "Weary" isn't an injury. I understand that we were shorthanded, and I even forgive the turnovers, but mental lapses were a bit much. Again, he may just have been worn down from a long season and playing a TON of minutes and ALWAYS guarding the opponents main guy (which is extremely draining.) If that really is the case than so be it. I am fine with it. It didn't make it any easier to watch last night, though. Losing is rough enough. Losing at home even worse. Watching them hoist the trophy on our floor worse yet. Losing because of our own mistakes--the most painful of all.

He sprained his ankle midway through the first half...he went down, and Majerus actually went to mid court (after a timeout) to ***** that the refs didn't stop the game fast enough...KC came out for about 3-4 minutes and then went back in...

Also, when the Bills came out for the 2nd half, he was limping noticeably during warmups, and during deadballs during play

The akle and his physical exhaustion definitely contributed to a sub-par, but not terrible, performance

I think Cassity is a decent guard that can provide a little offense off the bench but when he has to play 30 mins we are going to be in trouble. He doesn't defend very well and when he has to bring the ball up we are in trouble. We needed to attack the press last night and Mitchell was the only one who could but when he was forced to pass or was out the primary concern for Cassity and Salelech was to cross half court without getting ripped. I hope we are deep enough for Cassity and Salelech to come off the bench next year but I dont know that much about the recruits coming.

Also props to Derrty Darren Young for making some plays and not being afraid to attack in crucial stretches of the game

Why are you guys on all your posts missing the obvious on KC?

Seriously Billiken fans - name me one Division I player that has played 1116 minutes

and only has 22 Free Throw attempts? Look it up, find me one.

What that tells me is the guy cannot create his own shot, and he rarely attacks the basket.

So if your an opposing coach in scouting the Billikens, you keep the guy in front of you, he's

an easy guard or easy switch for anyone on the floor. Basically the Billikens were playing

4 on 5 on offense all year. Its amazing we got the record we did.

Think he will improve? Well his freshman year he had 11 attempts in 506 minutes.

Femi John in 290 minutes had 16 attempts.

If he walks like a duck....................

Seriously Billiken fans - name me one Division I player that has played 1116 minutes

What that tells me is the guy cannot create his own shot, and he rarely attacks the basket.

So if your an opposing coach in scouting the Billikens, you keep the guy in front of you, he's

an easy guard or easy switch for anyone on the floor. Basically the Billikens were playing

Think he will improve? Well his freshman year he had 11 attempts in 506 minutes.

Great post! This is the type of production we will continue to get from his spot regardless of how hard he works in the off season. Talent upgrade needed. I rest my case.

I think Cassity is a decent guard that can provide a little offense off the bench but when he has to play 30 mins we are going to be in trouble. He doesn't defend very well and when he has to bring the ball up we are in trouble. We needed to attack the press last night and Mitchell was the only one who could but when he was forced to pass or was out the primary concern for Cassity and Salelech was to cross half court without getting ripped. I hope we are deep enough for Cassity and Salelech to come off the bench next year but I dont know that much about the recruits coming.

Also props to Derrty Darren Young for making some plays and not being afraid to attack in crucial stretches of the game

Da. you can't attack the press when you have 8 healthy players on your team and your gassed. Under normal circunstances you attack the press, but not in our situation last night. Cassity will play 25-30 minutes per game next year. He makes everthing work better when he is out there. Some people have blinders on.

Great post! This is the type of production we will continue to get from his spot regardless of how hard he works in the off season. Talent upgrade needed. I rest my case.

I'd like to know how many assists he had or opportunities he created for Willie. I'd rather see KC be an assist machine like John Stockton than be a guy who gets to the stripe more often. What's wrong with being unselfish?

what does that say about majerus as a coach? if cassity doesnt defend well, why does he always guard the opponents best player? if we are in trouble when he brings the ball up, why did majerus make him the primary point guard the second half of the season? either you are wrong or majerus is wrong.

you are correct mitchell was successful dribbling through the press, but i dont know a coach in the world that advocates attacking a press by dribbling through the press. (btw, twice last night mitchell was picked by vcu as he tried to dribble through the press.)

You "walk like a scumbag".

Get off the kids back, he is a good player and a fine young man.

He played hurt last nite, was weary from vicious, deep, bullying VCU press... and SLU has no back up guards.

Do not take cheap pot shots at the players, show some class.

what does that say about majerus as a coach? if cassity doesnt defend well, why does he always guard the opponents best player? if we are in trouble when he brings the ball up, why did majerus make him the primary point guard the second half of the season? either you are wrong or majerus is wrong.

you are correct mitchell was successful dribbling through the press, but i dont know a coach in the world that advocates attacking a press by dribbling through the press. (btw, twice last night mitchell was picked by vcu as he tried to dribble through the press.)

Roy, did you watch the Georgia or GW game? Classic mismanagement of Cassity by RickMa. I agree with you that we either need a better press-breaking play or we need a new ball-handler next year.

or maybe it means he was very good at not putting himself in a bad position with the ball looking for the right openings and not selfishly dribbling into the trees when nothing is there. thus his excellent assist to turnover ratio.

i suspect the real answer is somewhere in between. but i thought a dramatic answer was appropriate for such an over the top point.

Roy, did you watch the Georgia or GW game? Classic mismanagement of Cassity by RickMa. I agree with you that we either need a better press-breaking play or we need a new ball-handler next year.

i did not see either game. so no comment.

or maybe it means he was very good at not putting himself in a bad position with the ball looking for the right openings and not selfishly dribbling into the trees when nothing is there. thus his excellent assist to turnover ratio.

i suspect the real answer is somewhere in between. but i thought a dramatic answer was appropriate for such an over the top point.

Great post Roy. How there can be such ire directed at one of this team's glue-guys is beyond me. Like I said, if you cannot see Cassity's value to this team then i would question the depth of your knowledge regarding college basketball. Cassity is not a stat-sheet stuffer, but you can pull someone off the street who has never seen a college basketball game and they can read a stat sheet. Cassity's value goes much deeper than that in my opinion. Is Kyle Cassity going to be the go-to-guy that leads us on a deep tourney run? No, but we will not make the tournament without him around, and I would guarantee Majerus would tell you the same thing.

i did not see either game. so no comment.

ok. well then I'll put the argument to rest then. But for the sake me playing Devil's Advocate here, can we all just admit that even really good teams hit a wall. K-State did out in Salt Lick City and they are deep and talented and loaded with senior talent. We played 36 games this year -- incredible and a testament to our kids and our coach. You tell me we play 36 games this year in October and I jack you right in the gut for blasphemy. We hit a wall. We aren't a deep team. We have no senior leadership. Yet we lasted 36 games. Can we just call it a night and tip our cap to VCU -- and the wall?

Great season, Billies.

In conference play Kyle Cassity Averaged 7.6 points a game, 3.8 assists a game. He shot 38% from three point range. He did all of that above while playing with exhaustion and guarding the opponent's best player every night. Those stats are better than Current Duke SG Nolan Smith as a sophomore. Those stats are better than Tyshawn Taylor who started for Kansas.

People act like he will be this same player next year. Of course he will improve, just as he did from his freshman season. He will get stronger, get a quicker release and come back next year in better shape and not having to play as many minutes. Rick Majerus has stated that Cassity will make a jump to "star status" and I believe him.

During the second half of last night's game, Kyle's first shift lead directly to 4 points for VCU.

You are discounting the first half when he put on a clinic defensively. He was obviously gassed. Why is not Mitchell and Ellis getting picked on from their performance last night. Why be reasonable with those guys and not Cassity?

Ellis couldn't hit anything last night. Mitchell missed the open post man several times in the second half. But that stuff is understandable. They hit the wall. This was a great year for an all freshmen and sophmore team. They will improve.

Throughout the conf season Cassity stepped up in the second half and we would not have won several games without him.

ok. well then I'll put the argument to rest then. But for the sake me playing Devil's Advocate here, can we all just admit that even really good teams hit a wall. K-State did out in Salt Lick City and they are deep and talented and loaded with senior talent. We played 36 games this year -- incredible and a testament to our kids and our coach. You tell me we play 36 games this year in October and I jack you right in the gut for blasphemy. We hit a wall. We aren't a deep team. We have no senior leadership. Yet we lasted 36 games. Can we just call it a night and tip our cap to VCU -- and the wall?

Great season, Billies.

I saw both games and I don't understand your point. KC played poorly in georgia, but he did in many of those games before he got aggressive. I thought he played pretty well against GW.

Great post Roy. How there can be such ire directed at one of this team's glue-guys is beyond me. Like I said, if you cannot see Cassity's value to this team then i would question the depth of your knowledge regarding college basketball. Cassity is not a stat-sheet stuffer, but you can pull someone off the street who has never seen a college basketball game and they can read a stat sheet. Cassity's value goes much deeper than that in my opinion. Is Kyle Cassity going to be the go-to-guy that leads us on a deep tourney run? No, but we will not make the tournament without him around, and I would guarantee Majerus would tell you the same thing.

I can see value to KC being a roll player on this billiken team. He does a lot of little things good and would be

a great 6th man. But if we continue with this lack of production from his position, we will only be in line for

a CBI, CIT or NIT bid. Thats a fact.

Again, truth hurts.

I ask again. Go check all division I rosters, stats. Can someone please name someone that starts, plays over

1000 minutes, handles the ball, yet only gets to the stripe 22 times?

Seriously you don't think the opposing teams don't know this and plan accordingly?

I can see value to KC being a roll player on this billiken team. He does a lot of little things good and would be

a great 6th man. But if we continue with this lack of production from his position, we will only be in line for

Again, truth hurts.

I ask again. Go check all division I rosters, stats. Can someone please name someone that starts, plays over

Seriously you don't think the opposing teams don't know this and plan accordingly?

i noticed that your name says Rickma Rules? Funning thing that RM sees things that most of us see and you don't. I'll put my chips with RM. you can throw up all of the crap you want. i saw all but one game this year. i know what i saw and so does RM. I see you are new to the board. How many games have you been to???

Again, truth hurts.

honestly the first thing that popped into my head when you asked was "i wonder what ex-nba player bobby wilkerson's college line was for indiana the year they won the national title?"

i thought that because like cassity, wilkerson was the ultimate all over team guy that guarded the best player, assumed a great deal of the offense without scoring much did his share of rebounding etc. amazingly, for the sometimes stated greatest college basketball team in history, the 1976 hoosier, wilkerson only shot 46 free throws, and rarely came out of any game and only averaged 7 ppg. yet somehow he made it to the nba his overall game was so appreciated.

i cant find 1979 mich state stats, but i suspect terry donnelly's numbers would be similar as well.

my point is you can look at most of the national champions of year's past and find a glue guy like cassity. your point is not well taken.

i cant find 1979 mich state stats, but i suspect terry donnelly's numbers would be similar as well.

my point is you can look at most of the national champions of year's past and find a glue guy like cassity. your point is not well taken.

Good one Roy did you call coach Wooten to compare notes?

Seriously, lets pick an era pre the 3pt line/and shot clock to make your point.

The point is that you won't find these non-offensive threats in the past 10 years. Its like SS's or infielders

that were all glove and no pop in baseball. Different eras.

Players in todays college basketball now all "got game".

Keep the glue on the bench.