Kyle Cassity, the SLU Lightning Rod

Well, there's been some give and take on Cassity. I think he would be an excellent defensive stopper/role player. If he improves offensively, he would definitely be a key cog in the machine. As a role player, he may be a little fresher and give himself better scoring chances...but I for one think he's going to. He can D up anybody on the perimeter, and we certainly need that.

Thoughts?

He'll start and play a lot next year. He's not out there to score. He's on the court for his all around floor game.

Every winning team has a player like Cassity. If the Bills are asking him to score it means somthing is wrong with Reed, Mitchel, and Ellis.

I think his scoring will improve over the summer but I dont think it is a must.

I think he's better than JT tiller and he took Mizzou to an elite 8

I feel like im crazy here. but it seems to me that he is a human turnover. I agree he has great tools. but he is not a starter. Mabye a guy that can come in and provide some spark/energy. But when he is out there playing the minutes he does, he turns the ball over at key times. Cassity should come off the bench next year. I have see McCall play and his defense will be second to none on the team, and he can score which kyle does none off. A couple games ago we had a double overtime game and finished with a score in the 60's. we need scoring gaurds. You can't rely on Ellis, Mitchell, and WR all the time. And KC's defense in not as good as CS's D. KC is a 6th man at best but probably a role player who can give energy. No harm ment here. Just my opinion.

Cassity has had TO problems throughout the tourney. He has run out of gas and the last 2 games he has been injured on top of it.

McCall will be really really good if he can outplay Cassity. Even then Cassity still starts. We'll have a small backcourt and 2 bigs.

I have see McCall play and his defense will be second to none on the team, and he can score which kyle does none off. A couple games ago we had a double overtime game and finished with a score in the 60's. we need scoring gaurds.

D1 basketball is a HUGE step from High School Basketball ,especially the way Coach RM plays it ,

D1 is a big step up, but keep in mind McCall is from Chi. He sees the best competition in the country for high school. McCall is better right now than KC easy. He should start.

This is a stupid post. Kyle had a great season. He played hurt tonight and that clouds some peoples view. Kyle had a very good season. He improved a lot from last year and if he improves at even close to the same rate we will be sitting pretty. I am looking forward to Mike as much as anyone else, but to say he is easily better than Kyle is stupid. Even if it were true we would have no way of knowing.

I would like to see some numbers that indicate Kyle had a great season. Even if he was playing hurt, that is no excuse to make bad passes and turn the ball over all the time. I really did not see anything from him this year. He had a couple great games. and i mean great. one of those being Dayton. But the bad outweighed the good.

I would like to see some numbers that indicate Kyle had a great season. Even if he was playing hurt, that is no excuse to make bad passes and turn the ball over all the time. I really did not see anything from him this year. He had a couple great games. and i mean great. one of those being Dayton. But the bad outweighed the good.

This is getting ridiculous.

This board has lost its ###### mind.

He was our best defensive player all year, had a generally good season, and people rip him. He has one terrible game to end the season, mind you a game that NO ONE played well in, and he is getting ripped to pieces.

Not to sound like Billikan, but see ya'll next year, this board has gone insane.

I was looking up stats for something else but ran across this which was somewhat surprising. Cassity had 117 assists this year. Only 2 Billiken sophomores have ever had more, LaTodd Johnson and Pee Wee Lenard. You're right though the bad outweighed the good. :rolleyes:

I was looking up stats for something else but ran across this which was somewhat surprising. Cassity had 117 assists this year. Only 2 Billiken sophomores have ever had more, LaTodd Johnson and Pee Wee Lenard. You're right though the bad outweighed the good. :rolleyes:

I like kc but all of our guards: KM. CS, jj make me nervous when they dribble against hacking defenders.

I actually liked our chance better when Conklin threw the ball in and helped out bringing over the time line or setting a screen

at half court.

Not sure what he did to lose so many minutes but I think we played some of our best basketball with his energizing the team

Hope to god mccall and evans take his minutes. the kid accounted for 18 points (turnovers) during game 1 of the CBI and looked like a virgin ball handler in the game tonight. he has all the talent and work ethic in the world, just doesnt produce. i dont know what his deal is. if i could pick one kid to be successfull other than Kwa because of his work it would be Cass. however he is truely a liability right now on this team, especially with the quality of kids coming in this summer. I would hope the kid comes out this summer and gets %&*#E$# with 15 girls on campus this summer & gets some damn confidence in his game. he COULD be so good.

I don't think McCall will compete for Kyle's position. McCall is only 6'0'' at best, so to have two sub 6'0'' guys out there (when paired with Mitchell) gives us a disadvantage on the defensive end... (Unless they turn into a K-State type Pullen & Clemente combo)

Since Majerus runs a 3 guard ohffense (might change with a certain Kiwi signing), all of our guards will get playing time...I just hope Cassity and Salecich push each other in the off-season...

Also, what's lost in all of this is the Femi John factor. He averaged about 17 minutes a game before his meniscus tear (which from what I understand, was unrelated to his previous knee injury)...He is fairly athletic, plays some decent defense, and could provide us with some sustenance next year...

From these 6 guards, I figure 1 will be the 'odd man out' and see his minutes cut dramatically...probably at this point, you gotta believe it's Jordan, not Cassity

McCall

John

Salecich

Mitchell

Cassity

Jordan

KC led the team in minutes played He also lead the team in assists with a better assist to t/o margin than KM. Since you said in another post that the pg was suppossed to lead the team in assists, does that mean KM is a bad pg?

KC was also 4th in rpg, 2nd in steals, and 4th in blocks. Does he need to be more aggressive offensively? yes. Did he have a poor game? yes?

He played a lot of minutes this year and even more per game during the 5 games of this tourney.

I believe you didn't see anything more from him than bad passes and turnovers, but I'd say thats more of a reflection on you than him as he only averaged 2 turnovers per game.

This is getting ridiculous.

This board has lost its ###### mind.

He was our best defensive player all year, had a generally good season, and people rip him. He has one terrible game to end the season, mind you a game that NO ONE played well in, and he is getting ripped to pieces.

Not to sound like Billikan, but see ya'll next year, this board has gone insane.

+2. KC played decent all year. No doubt we'd all like to see him become more of a scoring threat as this takes pressure of KM, CE, et al. He'll start primarily because of his tenacity on D and he's a capable ball handler and passer. He's got to work on his 3's over the summer and taking his man off the dribble, which he did show a few times this season. Also, this kid played a lot of minutes this year so he's probably feeling the wear and tear a little more than others. Give him a season where he avg's 30 mpg rather than 38 and hold off the criticism of a team player in the truest sense of the word.

I would say that those who don't see the value of Kyle Cassity know very little about college basketball. He is not a stat sheet stuffer and never will be, but the kid does everything well. Like Earl says, he is not the main course but he is the cornbread which makes the rest of the meal better.

I would say that those who don't see the value of Kyle Cassity know very little about college basketball. He is not a stat sheet stuffer and never will be, but the kid does everything well. Like Earl says, he is not the main course but he is the cornbread which makes the rest of the meal better.

Jeff Reid showed some spark in the beginning of the year as well...just write off Mr. Basketball in Kansas I guess...

Is he assumed gone at this point? Not one mention of him in this thread.

Kyle was over exposed this year. He was exhausted chasing the other teams best scorers all game with very little rest. That takes away from the offensive part of his game. Playing fewer minutes will make him a more effective player offensively and defensively.

Jeff Reid showed some spark in the beginning of the year as well...just write off Mr. Basketball in Kansas I guess...

Is he assumed gone at this point? Not one mention of him in this thread.

Seriously dude? He's suffered a horrible concussion. This knocks out professional football players, let's not get started on a gangly fresh out of high school kid.

Soderball is convinced Jeff Reid's basketball CAREER is over, not just with the Billikens.

Absolutely best of luck to him, a potentially great player suffering something like this is just a damn shame, to say the least.

Also this idea that Kyle will start next year and play 30+ minutes is absurd, and means that the recruits we have signed are not as good as we think. I expect 20 (minutes) a game out of Cassity along with some solid assists and a shot once in awhile.

I'll give him a pass on last night's worse-than-the-walkon performance. He's just plain tired and is not a player meant to be in the situation of starting and playing as much as Kwa.

I like Kyle, but I find some posters to have a ridiculous man-crush on him.

Kyle also sprained his ankle midway through the first half, and was limping around the rest of the game...that, along with his exhaustion don't add up to having a good game..

Cassity played some incredible defense in the 1st half and was a good ball handler also. But he just ran out of gas in the second half and he had nothing left to give. CS - same thing. Ellis looked tired at the start of the game. In fact, most of the team was tired in the 2nd. Part of it is the long season, part of it is being young, and part of it is having 8 guys and playing as hard as they can due to lack of experience.

I would have thought his play during the conference schedule as a soph should have raised him above this criticism. Cassity pretty much plays the point on offense and 2-guard on defense.

Not sure why some people are singling out Cassity. Ellis hit the wall after the second Dayton game. There is obviously a reason for that. But you would think if you have the sense to give the benefit of the doubt to Ellis, you would do so for KC too.

Also this idea that Kyle will start next year and play 30+ minutes is absurd, and means that the recruits we have signed are not as good as we think. I expect 20 a game out of Cassity along with some solid assists and a shot once in awhile.

I'll give him a pass on last night's worse-than-the-walkon performance. He's just plain tired and is not a player meant to be in the situation of starting and playing as much as Kwa.

I like Kyle, but I find some posters to have a ridiculous man-crush on him.

Barring injuries I would be willing to bet Kyle will play 25+. He will be in the top three for minutes played. By far the best passer on the team. He won't have to bring the ball up as much next year and will cut down on the stupit turnovers. Rick will not ask him to do as much and he will be more effective.