Will KC be starting this time next year??

ARon

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while and I guess now is as good a time as any to look forward.

I have been down on KC for a while now. While his floor game is always improving, we really only get short spurts of real offense from him. Tonight I don't believe he ever even looked at the basket once. The kid just won't try to score. I think that is a real problem especially when KM and/or WR is not on the floor. The last six or so games have shown quite clearly to me that this team can't afford to have non-threats on the floor. Especially if we intend to step up our level of competition next year.

Of course I'm not saying anything new about KC's game but until now he's still been the best option to have out there.

BUT.........

-Next year with DE and a healthy FJ/JR/?? this team will have options at the 3 that go beyond CS.

-IMHO CS has been showing steadily improving defense and is already approaching KC's strength in that area.

-Even on a poor shooting night (like tonight) CS outpaces KC offensively.

-With MM in the mix the team should not need to depend on Kyle to be the 1b point guard anymore.

I'm not saying Majerus would start the year this way. But I just can't help but feel that by the start of conference play next year he will decide to start CS at the 2.

I'll also admit that I'm a CS fan so my opinions are most certainly biased. But I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while and I guess now is as good a time as any to look forward.

I have been down on KC for a while now. While his floor game is always improving, we really only get short spurts of real offense from him. Tonight I don't believe he ever even looked at the basket once. The kid just won't try to score. I think that is a real problem especially when KM and/or WR is not on the floor. The last six or so games have shown quite clearly to me that this team can't afford to have non-threats on the floor. Especially if we intend to step up our level of competition next year.

Of course I'm not saying anything new about KC's game but until now he's still been the best option to have out there.

BUT.........

-Next year with DE and a healthy FJ/JR/?? this team will have options at the 3 that go beyond CS.

-IMHO CS has been showing steadily improving defense and is already approaching KC's strength in that area.

-Even on a poor shooting night (like tonight) CS outpaces KC offensively.

-With MM in the mix the team should not need to depend on Kyle to be the 1b point guard anymore.

I'm not saying Majerus would start the year this way. But I just can't help but feel that by the start of conference play next year he will decide to start CS at the 2.

I'll also admit that I'm a CS fan so my opinions are most certainly biased. But I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

I think KC will still start his defense is the best on the team his court vision to create for team mates is very valuable his assist to TO is very good and he is a steady in fluence to run the Majerus offense , he will come back stronger from the off season ,CS on the other hand has come along way this year has had a tough time with his shooting ,the upside is he has become a very good defender ,has cut down on his T/O he is actually in the plus column were as half way through the season he had few more turnovers than assists .as a freshman he has had a good season .But i think KC will still be playing more minutes than CS and starting .

I think KC will still start his defense is the best on the team his court vision to create for team mates is very valuable his assist to TO is very good and he is a steady in fluence to run the Majerus offense , he will come back stronger from the off season ,CS on the other hand has come along way this year has had a tough time with his shooting ,the upside is he has become a very good defender ,has cut down on his T/O he is actually in the plus column were as half way through the season he had few more turnovers than assists .as a freshman he has had a good season .But i think KC will still be playing more minutes than CS and starting .

I hope by conference time KM and MM are the starters and we play 3 bigs Loe, Willie and Ellis- providing his arm/shoulder heals and he regains his shot and gets in shape. If CR doesn't redshirt I think he will get a lot of time and although I am a

big Conklin fan i think he definitely will be joining, KC, CS, and hopefully DE as almost good enough to start.

You can't judge Cassity on tonight. He was really hurt out there. So were Kwamain and Willie, they both begged to go out. Cassity never did. KC grimaced the entire shoot around.

You can't judge Cassity on tonight. He was really hurt out there. So were Kwamain and Willie, they both begged to go out. Cassity never did. KC grimaced the entire shoot around.

Unfortunately I'm not judging him on tonight but on the 3/4ths of the season that he didn't/couldn't score. I do like the kid. Just think by January of next year CS may have more to offer. But I admit that also would require the team to be solid at the 3.

CS does have more to offer. KC is only better than CS in one area. Dribbling. Next year. With KM MM and JJ we will never need KC to bring the ball up the court. Starting lineup should be. 1= KM 2=MM 3=CE 4=Loe 5= WR. i know i know. Loe is a center. but the fact is he has better handels than WR and can shoot the three. Willie is a Center. think about it and its obvious. Just my opinion.

CS does have more to offer. KC is only better than CS in one area. Dribbling. Next year. With KM MM and JJ we will never need KC to bring the ball up the court. Starting lineup should be. 1= KM 2=MM 3=CE 4=Loe 5= WR. i know i know. Loe is a center. but the fact is he has better handels than WR and can shoot the three. Willie is a Center. think about it and its obvious. Just my opinion.

You are a dumb ######.

Just my opinion. If you honestly think Christian and JJ are better than Kyle, you don't know basketball.

Alright, that for real was my last post for a very long time.

Happy Easter ya'll.

agree

I looked at what I consider the turning point of modern SLU Basketball year 1985-89

The Douglas and Gray years-they started by shooting 60 to 70 percent field goal percentage and making 225 basket each

The point guard Roder made only 70 baskets and played a lot like Cassity-probably a better passer and from what I remember could steal the ball and dribble.

In my opinion you make bigs better in 3 or 4 years but guards and shooting forwards are either good from the get go and are impact players or they never amount to much more than role players. Bonner did not score as much as Gray and Douglas until maybe his junior and certainly his senior years. Often he scored more than 30 points.

We have gotten used to poor shooting and poor free throw shooting; defenses may be bettter now but there are still kids who

can fill it up and we need to recruit them-it is a little late to get a shot when you are 20 years old.

Next year is going to be tough with respect to the minute breakdown....

Just for grins, here is the current minute breakdown per game:

Mitchell: 33

Cassity: 32

Ellis: 28

Salecich: 28

Reed: 27

Conklin: 21

Jordan: 18

John: 17

Remekun: 12

Smith: 11

Here is a POSSIBLE breakdown of minutes next year:

(This is with Jon Smith red-shirting, and does not include Jeff Reid)

Mitchell: 28

Cassity: 28

Ellis: 22

Reed: 22

Loe: 22

Salecich: 18

McCall: 18

Conklin: 10

John: 7

Remekun: 7

Evans: 7

Jordan: 7

Eckerle: 4

Would Cory AND Smif redshirt if Loe signs? That would sure ease things up a little...(Based on Remekun's performance last night, 7 seems like too small an amount...would he take Conklin's minutes?)

Also, I am absolutely just guessing at the minutes, so don't anyone get their panties in a twist if they don't agree with it...

Here is a POSSIBLE breakdown of minutes next year:

(This is with Jon Smith red-shirting, and does not include Jeff Reid)

Would Cory AND Smif redshirt if Loe signs? That would sure ease things up a little...(Based on Remekun's performance last night, 7 seems like too small an amount...would he take Conklin's minutes?)

Just out of curiosity, is this for sure or are you speculating about Jon Smith red shirting?

I was just surprised because I hadn't heard it and in my opinion I think he will absolutely be the most improved player on the team. He is so athletic and has so much potential. If he worked real hard in the off season and got a mid range jumper and some dribbling ability I think he could be pretty unbelievable next year.

Just out of curiosity, is this for sure or are you speculating about Jon Smith red shirting?

I was just surprised because I hadn't heard it and in my opinion I think he will absolutely be the most improved player on the team. He is so athletic and has so much potential. If he worked real hard in the off season and got a mid range jumper and some dribbling ability I think he could be pretty unbelievable next year.

I should have prefaced...yeah, it's ALL speculation...i figure that with a 16 player roster next year, SOMEONE will probably redshirt...just assumed for the purposes of the minutes calculation, that it was Smith...

I should have prefaced...yeah, it's ALL speculation...i figure that with a 16 player roster next year, SOMEONE will probably redshirt...just assumed for the purposes of the minutes calculation, that it was Smith...

Just curious. How do you get to a 16 player roster. Are you anticipating more walkons?

No...assuming everyone comes back...and we add 3 recruits

1. Mitchell, 2. Reed, 3. Cassity, 4. Salecich, 5. Ellis, 6. Conklin, 7. Remekun, 8. Smith, 9. John, 10. Jordan, 11. McCall, 12. Evans, 13. Loe, 14. Eckerle, 15. Young, 16. Reid....

No...assuming everyone comes back...and we add 3 recruits

1. Mitchell, 2. Reed, 3. Cassity, 4. Salecich, 5. Ellis, 6. Conklin, 7. Remekun, 8. Smith, 9. John, 10. Jordan, 11. McCall, 12. Evans, 13. Loe, 14. Eckerle, 15. Young, 16. Reid....

biz, the ncaa only allows 13 scholarshipped players per roster.

biz, the ncaa only allows 13 scholarshipped players per roster.

LOL- I know, again, I want to reiterate that this isn't an exact science...it's all speculation...at this point, we have 16 guys on our plate for next year....we are just unsure of what is going to happen, who's going to leave, who might give up a scholarship, etc...

I know some change HAS to happen, but at this point, it's too early to speculate what kind of change that will be...

Plus, I didn't add Reid into the minutes breakdown...

Unless of course you don't count shooting, court vision, rebounding, and defense. Other than those things CS was a much better player than KC this year.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other....Salecich and Cassity bring different things to the table...

Salecich has shown that he can be more of an offensive threat than Cassity (especially from 3), and he can look for his shot more than Cassity...

Cassity has shown that he can pass a little better, and probably plays a little better defense...

More than likely everyone will get their minutes cut next year, which could increase the quality of play overall, by both players...

I don't see why it has to be one or the other....Salecich and Cassity bring different things to the table...

Salecich has shown that he can be more of an offensive threat than Cassity (especially from 3), and he can look for his shot more than Cassity...

Cassity has shown that he can pass a little better, and probably plays a little better defense...

More than likely everyone will get their minutes cut next year, which could increase the quality of play overall, by both players...

you do know that they shot almost the same number of 3's and cassity had a 9% better completion percentage? overall salacich only shot 7 more shots on the year than cassity. so is that what constitutes, "looks for his shot more"?

passes a LITTLE better? cassity had 117 assists, the most on the team. salecich had 64. slightly better than shoot first pass second justin jordan who had 58. btw, jordan played half the minutes of salecich. the truth is christian doesnt pass very well actually.

defense? are you serious? for the first 8 games or so into the season salecich didnt know what defense meant. i do admit by season end, christian had become a better than adequate defender. meanwhile, cassity was asked to guard the best player on the other team every game.

salecich will be a contributor, but christian needs far more improvement to figure into the billikens key minutes next year than cassity does. i suspect that both will work very hard though to continue to improve. especially considering the chicago boys likely have designs on their minutes.

I hope by conference time KM and MM are the starters and we play 3 bigs Loe, Willie and Ellis- providing his arm/shoulder heals and he regains his shot and gets in shape. If CR doesn't redshirt I think he will get a lot of time and although I am a

big Conklin fan i think he definitely will be joining, KC, CS, and hopefully DE as almost good enough to start.

Conklin is TERRIBLE on offense...i close my eyes any time he looks at the basket.

you do know that they shot almost the same number of 3's and cassity had a 9% better completion percentage? overall salacich only shot 7 more shots on the year than cassity. so is that what constitutes, "looks for his shot more"?

passes a LITTLE better? cassity had 117 assists, the most on the team. salecich had 64. slightly better than shoot first pass second justin jordan who had 58. btw, jordan played half the minutes of salecich. the truth is christian doesnt pass very well actually.

defense? are you serious? for the first 8 games or so into the season salecich didnt know what defense meant. i do admit by season end, christian had become a better than adequate defender. meanwhile, cassity was asked to guard the best player on the other team every game.

salecich will be a contributor, but christian needs far more improvement to figure into the billikens key minutes next year than cassity does. i suspect that both will work very hard though to continue to improve. especially considering the chicago boys likely have designs on their minutes.

Salecich at times forced his shots...he is not timid at all...that's what i meant by 'looking for his shot' more- he has no qualms about taking shots

Additionally, while I think KC has a good stroke, Salecich could be a much better shooter/scorer than KC...IMO offense is not what KC brings to the table

And of course it will take a TON of improvement, but, geez, he's only a freshman...

With my 'little' characterization, I was speaking more conversationally rather than as an adjective

Salecich has improved dramatically on defense. He reads ball screens as well as anyone on the team, and could really be a defensive asset in the future...

While Cassity plays good, solid defense, he is by no means a shut down defender...

Salecich was third on the team in minutes per game, and only averaged 4 less than Cassity...was it because of his offense? NO...it's because he played great defense that Majerus gave him PT. He IS a solid contributor, not 'will be' a solid contributor...he can only get better, too

If you look at the stats, Salecich and Cassity have fairly comparable stats...obviously KC means more to this team at this point, but my ORIGINAL POINT, was that i don't think you have to take one to the exclusion of the other...they can both contribute in different ways...

CS isn't even close to the player KC is, and he never will be. I like CS this year but he played like a freshman which is to be expected. The fouls he commits are atrocious.

I agree to a point...CS can improve, but KC is a much more complete player...

Like I said, imo, CS could turn out to be an offensive threat...he's hit some clutch shots for us this year...but he commits some really dumb fouls

Another point is that CS gets to the free throw line and drives the ball...KC only shot 22 free throws all year???!!! for a guard??!! WTF....by comparison Salecich shot 72, which shows that he isn't afraid to take it to the rim...KC needs to do more of that

Like I said, imo, CS could turn out to be an offensive threat...he's hit some clutch shots for us this year...but he commits some really dumb fouls

Another point is that CS gets to the free throw line and drives the ball...KC only shot 22 free throws all year???!!! for a guard??!! WTF....by comparison Salecich shot 72, which shows that he isn't afraid to take it to the rim...KC needs to do more of that

It's been said before here, about Willie, Kwamain, and now I'll say it about Kyle too. If any of those kids lose a starting job to any of the nubies due to anything but injury, we are going to be DAMN good next year. Kyle will start on opening day.......

It's been said before here, about Willie, Kwamain, and now I'll say it about Kyle too. If any of those kids lose a starting job to any of the nubies due to anything but injury, we are going to be DAMN good next year. Kyle will start on opening day.......

Right on.

some of that free throw disparity is by design. no doubt salecich is hands down our best free throw shooter, so i suspect the end of games when we have the lead rickma is preaching christian should have the ball.