Conditioning

I'm not taking a shot at anyone or anything, but by the end of the season, we were just too tired. I know it's been a long season, but teams like VCU and NCAA Tournament teams still look like they have a lot left in the tank.

Is it just that we've had a lot of injuries lately? Or that we have a lot of freshmen who maybe weren't ready for the long season? We know Ellis missed the off season workouts and conditioning, but everyone seemed exhausted to me these last couple of games......

Any thoughts?

I'm not taking a shot at anyone or anything, but by the end of the season, we were just too tired. I know it's been a long season, but teams like VCU and NCAA Tournament teams still look like they have a lot left in the tank.

Is it just that we've had a lot of injuries lately? Or that we have a lot of freshmen who maybe weren't ready for the long season? We know Ellis missed the off season workouts and conditioning, but everyone seemed exhausted to me these last couple of games......

Any thoughts?

8 players at the end of the year will do that to you

Plus, when one of our players isn't conditioned at all right now (cody) that makes problems worse.

Any thoughts?

1) They're freshman so they haven't had as much conditioning.

2) With all the teaching that needs to be done in practice, there is not much time in practice.

3) They are not as physically strong, so they take a beating in the weight room.

I think it is fine, if they are this tired next year, I will have gripes, but not now.

Erwin Claggett used to be worn out at the end of nearly every season, but Scott Highmark would pick up the slack. Larry Hughes was worn out toward the end of his season. Next year there will be more depth, talent, and experience for someone to pick up the slack.

I like how Cory Remekun came on strong tonight. These Billikens definitely have potential.

Erwin Claggett used to be worn out at the end of nearly every season, but Scott Highmark would pick up the slack. Larry Hughes was worn out toward the end of his season. Next year there will be more depth, talent, and experience for someone to pick up the slack.

I like how Cory Remekun came on strong tonight. These Billikens definitely have potential.

Cory was really going after the rim tonight. I really liked the way he played...wish he would have been that aggressive earlier in the year, but I'm not going to complain too much. His defense was a little lackluster tonight, but VCU was a good team. I'm hoping Cory and Jon make some huge strides this offseason and I think they will. You are right...there is a lot of potential out there and Rick is the best person to bring that out of them.

Cory was really going after the rim tonight. I really liked the way he played...wish he would have been that aggressive earlier in the year, but I'm not going to complain too much. His defense was a little lackluster tonight, but VCU was a good team. I'm hoping Cory and Jon make some huge strides this offseason and I think they will. You are right...there is a lot of potential out there and Rick is the best person to bring that out of them.

I hope we have enough players that both Jon Smith and Cory Remeuken can redshirt. They did not get enough chances although this was a fine game for CR and JS had moments-neither is nearly good enough to be starters for us at this point.

JS is good around the basket but lost in motion offence and completely lost most games on defence. Has that deer in the head lights thing going for him. Both play like freshmen with potential.

37 games is a lot of games for 17, 18, 19 year olds

Whats the deal with JS sitting on the bench when we're desperate for players? Is RM down on him?

Maybe, but we are short on guards, not forwards. It seems like JS is looking like an odd man out, but I seriously hope not.

Whats the deal with JS sitting on the bench when we're desperate for players? Is RM down on him?

not his total fault as Conklin was not in at end of game, either. VCU went small and was scoring on nearly every drive and

as precicted we had trouble get the ball down and setting up for good shots. Desparately, we shot like 2 for 19 from the three

we gave up on penetration except for CS and KM and KM was hobled by leg cramps for last 4 minutes of game-that is also

when we lost the lead permanently. Other than an ocassional block, rebound, or put back JS did not offer us an advantage with the heavier good jumpers who played agressively for VCU

not his total fault as Conklin was not in at end of game, either. VCU went small and was scoring on nearly every drive and

as precicted we had trouble get the ball down and setting up for good shots. Desparately, we shot like 2 for 19 from the three

we gave up on penetration except for CS and KM and KM was hobled by leg cramps for last 4 minutes of game-that is also

when we lost the lead permanently. Other than an ocassional block, rebound, or put back JS did not offer us an advantage with the heavier good jumpers who played agressively for VCU

Plus Mithcel hit a 3 on the second position. It was the first attempt of the night.

So with 18 minutes to go in the first half until the end of the game the bills were 1-18

Smith is a fabulous leaper but needs to develop more ball skills, and add muscle. He's a classic 'tweener in that he's only 6'5 but can't handle or shoot. He can finish, and has great timing on rebounds, but is too skinny to defend the post. A redshirt year would do him a world of good. After tonight, I'd say Remekun shouldn't be redshirted. He's ready to make big improvement next year.

Smith is a fabulous leaper but needs to develop more ball skills, and add muscle. He's a classic 'tweener in that he's only 6'5 but can't handle or shoot. He can finish, and has great timing on rebounds, but is too skinny to defend the post. A redshirt year would do him a world of good. After tonight, I'd say Remekun shouldn't be redshirted. He's ready to make big improvement next year.

Agree but with Willie able to play as much as he has in spite of going down with reaction to pain; he does come back. CR would benefit from playing for two years after Willie graduates. Willie is much better this year and CR got better during the

year. I would like to see him have his final year in 4 instead of 3 years. CR more likely to grow into his body and improve; if

JS gains weight and muscle he may lose his quickness advantage. I just can't imagine that all of a sudden he is going to drive like Tommy Liddell the third. I could see him hitting short jumpers if they ran plays to him. Right now I don't think our guards try to get him the ball

this is the main reason I predicted SLU would lose last night: stamina. When I said they looked gassed, I was using a strong term.

I saw it Monday night--the best place to check is the end of the first half Monday, where we in effect got trampled.

We came out with a very brief burst of energy in the first few minutes of the second half Monday, then suddenly the game was over. In fact, to me it was so obvious that I did not believe they could overcome it in 48 hours, even in a home game. Can anyone explain why so many on here did not see the same thing I saw?? Maybe being away most of the year gave me some fresh eyes.

I appreciate everyone's optimism going into last night but I was actually surprised that I was the only one to see that desperate fatigue on Monday. Someone even compared our chances last night to the turnaround against GWU a couple years ago. No way, Jose.

You're right about the Final 4 teams, VCU is like them in the sense that they are getting better and stronger right now, not more tired and beat up. They look fresh, in other words. Notice how Kentucky just ran out of gas after an almost unbelievable start against WVU (I hate to admit it but that first 10 minutes, Kentucky looked unbeatable) but then the tank ran dry-- mostly freshmen, too.

this is the main reason I predicted SLU would lose last night: stamina. When I said they looked gassed, I was using a strong term.

I saw it Monday night--the best place to check is the end of the first half Monday, where we in effect got trampled.

We came out with a very brief burst of energy in the first few minutes of the second half Monday, then suddenly the game was over. In fact, to me it was so obvious that I did not believe they could overcome it in 48 hours, even in a home game. Can anyone explain why so many on here did not see the same thing I saw?? Maybe being away most of the year gave me some fresh eyes.

I appreciate everyone's optimism going into last night but I was actually surprised that I was the only one to see that desperate fatigue on Monday. Someone even compared our chances last night to the turnaround against GWU a couple years ago. No way, Jose.

You're right about the Final 4 teams, VCU is like them in the sense that they are getting better and stronger right now, not more tired and beat up. They look fresh, in other words. Notice how Kentucky just ran out of gas after an almost unbelievable start against WVU (I hate to admit it but that first 10 minutes, Kentucky looked unbeatable) but then the tank ran dry-- mostly freshmen, too.

Maybe you are just smarter than everyone else. ;)

doc b, my turn of the head was purely based on my respect of rickma's coaching. i felt that for a team of the ilk of vcu (they arent duke) he could overcome. in hindsight you were exactly right. the team was just too beat up and exhausted to go 40 minutes.

when i looked over at the four minute mark and both kwamain and willie are on the bench being worked over by the train staff and kyle was limping around half court, and we got a walk on in for the prime time down the stretch, i knew we were f'd.

shoe, and all; why all the sarcasm ??? I make an honest prediction (that turned out right) and I become a monster/goon. I mention students are gone and I become the butt of a joke.

I am asking an honest and innocent question, to tell the truth.

so again; why was that fatigues and listlessness so seemingly hard to spot? Kool-aid??

at least Roy gave a straight answer. I agree--the ostensible "adjustments" trump card that everyone seemed to count on never did much under the conditions; if anything the VCU coaches adjusted better by hammering Kwamain into submission and taking him out of most of the game.

ps: in Malcolm Gladwell's book OUTLIERS, he argues for the 10,000 hour rule; it means if anyone of even average intelligence does anything for 10,000 or more, they become an expert at it. I have not taken the time to add it up, but my guess is that I am not the only guy on here who has spent at least 10,000 hours studying the game of basketball.

(So It could be true that I know more about certain things, just as you know more than most folks on here about certain things. But his is a basketball list and on here most of us are just lovers of the game, not professionals; we are all probably about equal more or less--at least those of us who qualify by the 10.000 hour rule. among those hours, I actually saw the likes of George McGinnis, Billy Shepherd, Pistol Pete, Roger Brown, Artis Gilmore, Julius Erving, George Gervin, Lew Alcindor, and Earvin Johnson LIVE and in the flesh!

So maybe I am an expert --like a lot of you other dudes, Roy included.

shoe, and all; why all the sarcasm ??? I make an honest prediction (that turned out right) and I become a monster/goon. I mention students are gone and I become the butt of a joke.

so again; why was that fatigues and listlessness so seemingly hard to spot? Kool-aid??

at least Roy gave a straight answer. I agree--the ostensible "adjustments" trump card that everyone seemed to count on never did much under the conditions; if anything the VCU coaches adjusted better by hammering Kwamain into submission and taking him out of most of the game.

ps: in Malcolm Gladwell's book OUTLIERS, he argues for the 10,000 hour rule; it means if anyone of even average intelligence does anything for 10,000 or more, they become an expert at it. I have not taken the time to add it up, but my guess is that I am not the only guy on here who has spent at least 10,000 hours studying the game of basketball.

(So It could be true that I know more about certain things, just as you know more than most folks on here about certain things. But his is a basketball list and on here most of us are just lovers of the game, not professionals; we are all probably about equal more or less--at least those of us who qualify by the 10.000 hour rule. among those hours, I actually saw the likes of George McGinnis, Billy Shepherd, Pistol Pete, Roger Brown, Artis Gilmore, Julius Erving, George Gervin, Lew Alcindor, and Earvin Johnson LIVE and in the flesh!

10,000 hours of being a community organizer can also get you a seat on Air Force One.

I agree with you, Doc., we're all "experts" here on this site, but you have your opinions and other posters have theirs. It's the way these boards work. 100% of the board isn't going to agree at any time. There will always be naysayers and dissenters. Good post, stay hungry for Billiken basketball. You are a great fan.

I haven't read every post made since yesterday, but for what it is worth I think the slack you got in the prediction thread was mostly harmless. If you look at the game day threads or prediction threads hardly anyone ever predicts a SLU loss, no matter who we are playing. A lot of people have mentioned how tired and worn down we are, not to mention injury depleted, it's not just your observation. I think generally there was just a hope we could overcome it last night.

"Hope is a good thing . . . . maybe the best of things" (Shawshank)

I'm a big believer in hope, so thanks for the answer.

Moy, no offense buddy--I'm also a big believer in humor.

I do not know how the roster is going to shake out for the fall; i am just as curious as anyone. But I think it is fair to say we would all like to see a FULL roster, and so our walk-on is not playing in a championship game (great effort Darrin, nothing personal).

pax, muchachos!

my comments were meant to be pretty harmless.

likewise. there's tons of times that i predict wins when i don't expect them. just an optimist.

if there were a thread entitled "can justin jordan throw a football over them mountains w/ his bulldozer thumb hand?" i would simply reply:

"probably."

you called it and i wish you were wrong. :lol: i always pick the bills to win, but i don't bet for money, either.

I rarely read the prediction threads because unless we are playing UNC at Carolina it typically has SLU winning 95% of the time, even if Vegas has us as underdogs. You can't take it seriously.

You obviously predicted us to lose and when I read your post this morning (maybe incorrectly) if felt like you were "bragging" about being able to see that this team was tired. We all knew the team is tired, hell Majerus has said as much in every interview he has given. I'm sure those that thought we would win were hoping that the home court and a little bit of luck could have overcome our tiredness, but its not like people didn't realize it was a disadvantage.