Official Game Thread: SLU vs Vergina Commonwelf

They arent being asked to lead us to the promised land.

Mitchel, Reed, and Ellis are.

Guys like KC and CS are very important members to a good team and simply being asked to be role players.

IF the big 3 average 15 points a game each (very possible) that is already 45 points. That doesnt leave a lot of scoring to go around for the other 8 players.

Majerus plays a slow low scoring game. With three big scorers nobody else will average double digits.

Role players don't play 30 plus minutes a game evey game.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not writing him off. I just think like billikenbill. He is a nice player. But unless he improves offensively, Slu will not win any championships with him playing 30 plus minutes a game. That would mean that MM is not yet ready to play D1 ball at the level we expect from him. I like KC. However, I am trying to be realistic. I am saying IF he DOES NOT improve. If he does than SLU will be the better for it. The same goes for Salecich. IF he does not improve offensively. Why is it so hard for SLU to come up with numerous accurate outside shooters?

Obviously If they don;t improve they won't play. But why wouldn't you expect them to improve.

Role players don't play 30 plus minutes a game evey game.

Most college teams have 2 or 3 guys in doubel figures the other 2 starters (role players) usually play about 25-30 minutes a game and score about 6-10 points.

CS and KC played a little more than you would like but with all freshman and Sophs and the team breaking down physically at the end they had to.

Obviously If they don;t improve they won't play. But why wouldn't you expect them to improve.

I expect Salecich to improve. However, when coach RM can't get Cassity to shoot more often I don't expect him to change by next year. He does some things really well but, it is offensively where we need improvement. If the Billikens could average 70 plus points a game they would win close to 28 to 30 games a season and go to the NCAA tournament.

I expect Salecich to improve. However, when coach RM can't get Cassity to shoot more often I don't expect him to change by next year. He does some things really well but, it is offensively where we need improvement. If the Billikens could average 70 plus points a game they would win close to 28 to 30 games a season and go to the NCAA tournament.

If you don't think KC has shot more often you don't pay attention.

People have to take tonight's game with a huge grain of salt, he was simply gassed.

;)

They do especially if they are playing as the coach wants and doing it well . And who would you have put on the court in place of them the last few weeks ?

You missed my point. I know they had to play this season. But with the opportunity, I hoped they would have produced more offensively. The point I am making is if they play that much NEXT season and don't provide more offense, the team will not make the NCAA tournament. Next season. RM had to play what he had available this season.

those of you attacking cassity are so off base. he plays the most minutes on the team. down the stretch he brought the ball down the floor and headed the offense as much if not more than mitchell. his assists to turnover ratio is very good. he guards the other teams top guard every game.

all of that and you think he isnt a player on a team that won over 20 games and played in the 6th best conference in the country?

while scoring points is huge and can never be discounted, nearly covering a complete floor game like cassity does is needed. if we have any player that legitimately sends cassity to the bench to become a backup role player playing less than 20 minutes a game next year will be an amazing find imo. it isnt going to happen.

the more likely scenario is kyle spends the summer working on a quicker release, increasing his range and increasing his body strength and fills the gaps in his already overall top floor game.

If you don't think KC has shot more often you don't pay attention.

People have to take tonight's game with a huge grain of salt, he was simply gassed.

I am not making comments based on tonight's game. RM said a number of time after games that he wanted KC to shoot more. There were times when he shot more than 7 or 8 times and then the next few games shoot less than 5 or 6 times. My comments are based on the whole season.

You missed my point. I know they had to play this season. But with the opportunity, I hoped they would have produced more offensively. The point I am making is if they play that much NEXT season and don't provide more offense, the team will not make the NCAA tournament. Next season. RM had to play what he had available this season.

They are the 4th and 5th options on a team that plans on keeping the score low.

Even if the start and play 30+ minutes a game they wont be averaging much more than they did next year.

When the plan is to keep the score in the 60's and you have 3 players that score in the teens the rest of the team shouldnt be scoring that much.

what puzzles me is that you apparently dont think he can improve his offense? i would be more puzzled if he didnt improve his offense. that should be an expectation of a seasoned junior.

those of you attacking cassity are so off base. he plays the most minutes on the team. down the stretch he brought the ball down the floor and headed the offense as much if not more than mitchell. his assists to turnover ratio is very good. he guards the other teams top guard every game.

all of that and you think he isnt a player on a team that won over 20 games and played in the 6th best conference in the country?

while scoring points is huge and can never be discounted, nearly covering a complete floor game like cassity does is needed. if we have any player that legitimately sends cassity to the bench to become a backup role player playing less than 20 minutes a game next year will be an amazing find imo. it isnt going to happen.

the more likely scenario is kyle spends the summer working on a quicker release, increasing his range and increasing his body strength and fills the gaps in his already overall top floor game.

Exactly. If KC makes the same improvements he did from last year we will be sitting pretty.

Then SLU will be better for it. No one is attacking KC. I am saying SLU needs more offense from him. Why did'nt you speak up for CS? Did he not play just as hard?

I am not writing him off. I just think like billikenbill. He is a nice player. But unless he improves offensively, Slu will not win any championships with him playing 30 plus minutes a game. That would mean that MM is not yet ready to play D1 ball at the level we expect from him. I like KC. However, I am trying to be realistic. I am saying IF he DOES NOT improve. If he does than SLU will be the better for it. The same goes for Salecich. IF he does not improve offensively. Why is it so hard for SLU to come up with numerous accurate outside shooters?

Regarding your last question, when guys like Kyle and Christian are being asked to play 35 minutes a game and often one of them is asked to also guard the other team's top scorer, it will be difficult to have the legs with your outside shot. When these guys are playing more like 20-25 minutes, I believe that being more fresh will tranlate into better outside shooting.

KC was cramping up all game as were KM and WR. they all really toughed it out to finish out the season. overall, i don't think we could have expected more from this group of kids this season in the circumstances we faced. tough way to end the season, but you gotta give credit where it's due

Billikenbill, cassity cant blow by anyone? Really? He did it all conference season!!!!

Where are the points that resulted from the blow bys?

Where are the points that resulted from the blow bys?

Man give it a break , You might think that a couple of the boys are weak links but the majority of the boys have been playing through with injuries KC is one of them .

By any chance are you the missing link ??

As I said, I dont want to calculate it, but Kyle averaged close to double digits in conference play.

He averaged less than 8 ppg in conference play. He started shooting it more after the LaSalle game and had 3 straight games with double digit scoring. From the LaSalle game to the CBI tourney he was shooting 8-10 times a game, which was an improvement from earlier. His shooting pct. was up and down. In the CBI he lost his legs and played hurt. he hasn't been the same obviously since the tourney started.

Then SLU will be better for it. No one is attacking KC. I am saying SLU needs more offense from him. Why did'nt you speak up for CS? Did he not play just as hard?

while i think salecich has a lot of potential, he isnt in the same tier as cassity imo. i believe salicich will be the player that likely loses the most minutes next season.

Having more players to take away minutes will be a good thing. Playing fewer minutes will improve both KM and KC and have they fresher during at crunch time. Its tough to play an effective last 5 minutes when you've been on the court practically the whole game.

while i think salecich has a lot of potential, he isnt in the same tier as cassity imo. i believe salicich will be the player that likely loses the most minutes next season.

I am not so sure about your last statement. I agree with you that Cssity is unfairly ripped by some people on this board. Salecich got better as the season went on and he had a better freshman season than Cassity's freshman season. Christian also scored the same this season as Kyle did as a sophomore. Kyle's shot improved from freshman to sophomore year, so we can expect Christian's shot will also improve next year. The important thing is that they should both be very motivated to improve in the offseason, because everybody will have to fight harder for playing time.

Good season bills fans...it sounds like your young guys just kind of hit a wall at the end of this tourney. I'm really looking forward to the series the next few season between SLU and MO State. Both teams return a lot of talent, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see SLU in the dance next year.

Nothing to hang your heads in this one...