RPI Comparisons...CBI vs. NIT

Jerram

So, I was thinking...with the automatic NIT bids that go to some of the rinky dink conference winners that have worse RPIs than SLU, and CBI truly being by invitation only, which tournament had a better overall average RPI? (at the start of the tourney)

I don't know the answer, my guess WAS that the NIT beats out CBI with an average somewhere in the 70s and CBI somewhere in the 90s but that was total guess. Then I looked up the CBI numbers and was a little disappointed. Anyone want to crunch the numbers on the NIT as I have the inclination, but not the time????

Here are the CBI numbers, which took me about 10 minutes once I found the brackets on the CBI website...Notables in bold:

SLU: 87

Va Commonwealth: 66 - best RPI in field

Ind. State: 88

Akron: 89

Green Bay: 107

George Wash: 148

East Ky: 155

Charleston: 91

Boston U: 144

Oregon St.: 185 - Worst RPI in field

Morehead St.: 84

Color. St.: 119

Hofstra: 145

Iupui: 83

Duquesne: 114

Princeton: 133

AVERAGE: 114.8

Kind of makes you wonder how many teams were invited that said "No, Thanks", I mean sh!t, 185?!?!?

So, I was thinking...with the automatic NIT bids that go to some of the rinky dink conference winners that have worse RPIs than SLU, and CBI truly being by invitation only, which tournament had a better overall average RPI? (at the start of the tourney)

I don't know the answer, my guess WAS that the NIT beats out CBI with an average somewhere in the 70s and CBI somewhere in the 90s but that was total guess. Then I looked up the CBI numbers and was a little disappointed. Anyone want to crunch the numbers on the NIT as I have the inclination, but not the time????

Here are the CBI numbers, which took me about 10 minutes once I found the brackets on the CBI website...Notables in bold:

Kind of makes you wonder how many teams were invited that said "No, Thanks", I mean sh!t, 185?!?!?

I think Oregon State got an automatic bid due to being the defending champions

you're gonna make me reaverage w/o Oregon St. aren't you......

Illinois - 66

Stony Brook - 161

Kent State - 49

Tulsa - 73

Dayton - 42

Illinois State - 80

Cincinnati - 62

Weber State - 89

Arizona State - 68

Jacksonville - 147

Seton Hall - 61

Texas Tech - 65

Memphis - 60

St. John’s - 81

Mississippi - 47

Troy - 119

Virginia Tech - 51

Quinnipiac - 144

UCONN - 64

Northeastern - 79

Wichita State - 54

Nevada - 69

Rhode Island - 28

Northwestern - 124

Mississippi State - 59

Jackson State - 204

UNC - 70

William & Mary - 67

South Florida - 77

NC State - 89

UAB - 47

Coastal Carolina - 139

AVG = 82.34

The NIT is way lower. i got an average of 82.34. However, the RPI calculator I used has factored in games since selection (not sure if yours did) so SLU's RPI, for example, is at 72 right now.

Incidentally, the Oregon State coach is Michelle Obama's brother Craig Robinson.

They had a very disapointing season, started out poorly.

There were rumors that he was getting canned.

But they just re signed him for two years. :lol:

Incidentally, the Oregon State coach is Michelle Obama's brother Craig Robinson.

Obama's only got 2 years left on his contract as well. Coincidence? I think not. :P

When you consider that Oregon State had a six win season the year before Robinson arrived, and they've won 32 games over the last two years, I'd say he deserved the two year extension. Craig Robinson has been coaching basketball since long before we'd heard of Barack Obama. And BTW, Obama's a good man and a far better President than Bush ever thought about being. But that's a different subject for a different message board. Is there a "Town Hall"/Politics type of board here?

When you consider that Oregon State had a six win season the year before Robinson arrived, and they've won 32 games over the last two years, I'd say he deserved the two year extension. Craig Robinson has been coaching basketball since long before we'd heard of Barack Obama. And BTW, Obama's a good man and a far better President than Bush ever thought about being. But that's a different subject for a different message board? Is there a "Town Hall"/Politics type of board here?

No. Please keep the politics off the board, irrespective of feelings for or against current or past regimes.

No. Please keep the politics off the board, irrespective of feelings for or against current or past regimes.

BACK to the thread: with Dayton about 44 RPI and Rhode Island 28

I would say we are used to playing the calibre team of VCU 59

and just like us there must be a reason our invitations never arrived for the NIT

That makes me hopeful; more optimistic than I was for UNI beating Kansas

That must be why we play the games instead of doing it with algorithms

I'm cool with that. I just think it's stupid to take potshots at Obama when speaking of Craig Robinson and what goes on at Oregon State. Robinson's had two pretty good years after taking over a downtrodden program and needed the extension to help with recruiting.

VCU has a strong frontcourt with 6'11 Larry Sanders and 6'9 Wake Forest transfer Jamie Skeen. Skeen was a Top50 recruit out of Charlotte before being slowed by a knee injury. Didn't work out at Wake but he has gradually improved in his two years at VCU. Willie has to avoid foul trouble, Cody has to contribute on the boards, and Cassity/Salecich will have to root out some rebounds as well. I think it'll be a tough, hard fought series.

The home team needs its fans to show up and be loud.

When you consider that Oregon State had a six win season the year before Robinson arrived, and they've won 32 games over the last two years, I'd say he deserved the two year extension. Craig Robinson has been coaching basketball since long before we'd heard of Barack Obama. And BTW, Obama's a good man and a far better President than Bush ever thought about being. But that's a different subject for a different message board. Is there a "Town Hall"/Politics type of board here?

I didn't vote for his brother-in-law, but the shots at Robinson are WAY off. That's really a pretty silly reason to rip him. There was never any credible rumors that he was going to be fired. That is ridiculous. Robinson took over a program that was in complete shambles. The year before he took over, OSU had six wins and were 0-18 in the Pac-10. They were the worst BCS team in America. The following year, he led them to the CBI championship. That is an impressive accomplishment.

I didn't vote for his brother-in-law, but the shots at Robinson are WAY off. That's really a pretty silly reason to rip him. There was never any credible rumors that he was going to be fired. That is ridiculous. Robinson took over a program that was in complete shambles. The year before he took over, OSU had six wins and were 0-18 in the Pac-10. They were the worst BCS team in America. The following year, he led them to the CBI championship. That is an impressive accomplishment.

He started this yr 8-11, including some losses against terrible teams, a 300+ RPI team etc. There WERE rumors.

Then played in below par Pac 10, did OK.

As previous poster pointed out, OSU got huge tarp award... though no evidence it was "connected".

Late this season, there were rumors he was considered for the DePaul job... wouldn't that be a hoot... Chicago.

That would have been a hell of a "coincidence". :lol:

He started this yr 8-11, including some losses against terrible teams, a 300+ RPI team etc. There WERE rumors.

As previous poster pointed out, OSU got huge tarp award... though no evidence it was "connected".

Late this season, there were rumors he was considered for the DePaul job... wouldn't that be a hoot... Chicago.

Good job keeping politics out of it.

Come on. Don't let politics cloud your judgement. This is ridiculous. There were no credible rumors. Probably more like wishful thinking on the part of a few people. Do you know how bad Oregon State was BEFORE Robinson took over? They were 6-25, 0-18 in the Pac 10. They WERE one of those 300+RPI teams before he took over.

Because he didn't take cheap political shots after a moderator asked everyone to keep the politics off the board. Pretty simple to understand for most of us.

And you are the self appointed sole adjudicator.

uh...and back to the thread at hand....which was more about CBI competition vs. NIT if anyone recalls.

Thanks Zinc for doing the dirty work on the NIT teams....I used Real Time RPI which I believe (at least for SLU) only included up to the end of the Conference tourneys. This is really preferred anyway b/c the point was to compare the fields at time of selection. Having said that, I wouldn't expect a large overall change after just a few games in all three post season tourneys. The NIT field probably still has quite a gap on the CBI field.

I didn't realize how good Rhodie's RPI was....what did the pundits say was their downfall for not making the dance?

uh...and back to the thread at hand....which was more about CBI competition vs. NIT if anyone recalls.

Thanks Zinc for doing the dirty work on the NIT teams....I used Real Time RPI which I believe (at least for SLU) only included up to the end of the Conference tourneys. This is really preferred anyway b/c the point was to compare the fields at time of selection. Having said that, I wouldn't expect a large overall change after just a few games in all three post season tourneys. The NIT field probably still has quite a gap on the CBI field.

I didn't realize how good Rhodie's RPI was....what did the pundits say was their downfall for not making the dance?

RI's is not 28, it is 40 as of 3-14.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Do not know where poster got his info (28?), I think there are different RPI formulas.

RPI is not the absolute measurement some think it is. It has inherent, ingrained flaws... the math is not perfect at all.

It can be deceiveing, but it is one of many tools to assess team strength and accomplishment.

RI's is not 28, it is 40 as of 3-14.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Do not know where poster got his info (28?), I think there are different RPI formulas.

RPI is not the absolute measurement some think it is. It has inherent, ingrained flaws... the math is not perfect at all.

It can be deceiveing, but it is one of many tools to assess team strength and accomplishment.

Their current RPI with postseaon games included is 30 according to Warren Nolan.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2010/sch.../Rhode%20Island