Billiken Youtube Videos!!!!!!

I have a couple more that I should get to tonight. Does anyone have any requests? I have every television game that wasn't on charter minus Charlotte.

Is this [name removed] by chance?

Edited by thicks
Keep names private unless the user grants permission.

• 9 years later...

Went down the proverbial YouTube rabbit hole last night and stumbled upon this partial 1988 game between SLU and Iowa in Hawaii.  

Looks like Iowa was ranked No. 4 at the time and we gave them all they could handle.  They had B.J. Armstrong, who won three rings with the Bulls teams in the '90s.  Per Basketball Reference, Iowa had FIVE(!!) future NBA players on that roster.

Anywho, lots of great Bonner/Gray/Douglass stuff here, as well as HC "Rick" Grawer.  And some quality local commercials from Davenport at the end.

NH, JMM28 and SLU_Lax like this

The crowd noise in the Footes video is impressive. I never saw a game at the old Kiel but it apparently got loud in there.

Where did they play that "Chaminade Classic" game? Looks like a much bigger venue than where the Maui Invitational is held now.

Nice play by Armstrong to end it, by the way.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The crowd noise in the Footes video is impressive. I never saw a game at the old Kiel but it apparently got loud in there.

Where did they play that "Chaminade Classic" game? Looks like a much bigger venue than where the Maui Invitational is held now.

The Old Kiel was a great place. The upper balcony hung out near the court. 

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

loved watching at the old keil, upper deck behind basket is where i always sat, felt like you were right on top of the court, Grawer years some of my favorite

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Went down the proverbial YouTube rabbit hole last night and stumbled upon this partial 1988 game between SLU and Iowa in Hawaii.  

Looks like Iowa was ranked No. 4 at the time and we gave them all they could handle.  They had B.J. Armstrong, who won three rings with the Bulls teams in the '90s.  Per Basketball Reference, Iowa had FIVE(!!) future NBA players on that roster.

Anywho, lots of great Bonner/Gray/Douglass stuff here, as well as HC "Rick" Grawer.  And some quality local commercials from Davenport at the end.

Just finished watching thank you Box.

The officiating sucked backed then too.

1 hour ago, willie said:

The Old Kiel was a great place. The upper balcony hung out near the court. 

-it most certainly was a great place to watch our Bills, those ramps, even floor level seats had to go up 3 ramps if memory serves

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-it most certainly was a great place to watch our Bills, those ramps, even floor level seats had to go up 3 ramps if memory serves

I loved that place - the ceiling, lighting, and overall vibe were really cool.  It's unfortunate that the auditorium was demolished when there were numerous other downtown sites where the Enterprise Center could've been built.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

It was at the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu according to the Iowa Wikipedia men’s basketball page. Looks like a precursor to the arena Hawaii currently plays in. 

34 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Great games there vs Xavier...‘Take a Seat, Pete’ Gillen was their coach.

One game seemed like half the population of Evansville filled the upper deck, yelling Purple Aces. Went home sad, though. Place really rocked. Miss those kind of rivalries.

The days of having actual conference rivals - within driving distance! - seem like ancient history.