Hola! from SLU Madrid-- and request for updates....

Hola! from SLU Madrid-- any board members ever make it over here for a year or semester? I am the lucky member of my department to be here this year. My 5th time teaching at a study abroad unit -- one of the top perks for my line of work (Japan, Holland, Italy, and Germany before this).

So, the last game I saw was Fordham, which seems like another year now; where the Bills were OK but not so great overall. I am not really sure which game I saw that was the best performance, but they were pretty good against Richmond, a very good team. I will not be back till after the tournament and unless we make the NIT finals (or NCAA finals, for that matter), I will not be able to see the Bills again this year unless some odd internet availability comes open for me; even then, I would probably have to stay up way past my middle-aged bedtime (I watched the Super Bowl on-line, but it was 5 am at the end...)

So help a loyal Bills fan out here:

Q: what accounts for the sudden upgrades in the Bills' overall game? Give me a few, simple bullet points that explain how this team is so much better in 6 weeks. Or, are they??

5 road wins in the A10-- I would never have expected that this year. How come we have improved so much???

Anyone else getting giddy about next year?? I know I am -- when I am not busy inspecting 500 year old buildings, or prowling La Latina, going to tapas bars, and drinking crisp, fragrant Rioja wines (really nice, full, fruity ones at 4 euros a bottle; I know Major Majerus will appreciate the vino descriptions).....

Adios, muchachos.

Cassity has become a different player, strong and aggressive, he is finally putting up the POINTS i wanted, not just 'intangibles' (he still brings those, though)

Ellis has changed the game since he arrived.

Generally everyone is just playing better, as comes with experience on such a high-talent low-experience group.

Rick Majerus must be the greatest floor coach I've ever seen in my life.

I really hate Xavier.

I've been to every home game this year, plus a road trip to Sweatervest Capital, USA.

I think we will make the NIT, and probably get at least 1-2 wins. Next year we are dancing, I'll be disappointed if we aren't

P.S. Kwamain Mitchell is the secret identity of Superman

1. Kwamain has cut down on turnovers and has heated up from the three pt. arc.

2. Cassity and Salecich have increased their three point percentage as well. Cassity's defense has been outstanding over the last half of the season.

3. Ellis has been steady, providing another three point threat, and giving us some size underneath to help out Willie.

4. Willie has steadily improved, able to step out and hit a jumper out to 12-14' on occasion.

5. Over the past three games, Justin Jordan has come on, playing excellent D and knocking down some shots, after quite a slump from Fordham through about the first Dayton game.

6. Remekun, Conklin, and Smith are making timely contributions off the bench.

7. This club defends like their life depends on it, they're taking better care of the ball, and finally beginning to knock down some shots. FT shooting is much better over the last five games, although Willie is still a big liability there.

Been a fun ride since the GW, Richmond debacles. Hope it continues in AC.

I'm jealous, Doc. One of my biggest regrets from college was not going to Madrid for a semester and becoming fluent in Spanish.

samesies. i always thought "naw, that would cost too much" or "naw, i'm having too much fun in MISSOURI". oh well. there's still grad school.

Pay attention, Box. How else could I have had five children in three years? B)

He just figured you were following in Travis Henry's footsteps (9 kids by 9 different mothers in a ridiculously short amount of time).

Agreed on missing the semester in Madrid.

He just figured you were following in Travis Henry's footsteps (9 kids by 9 different mothers in a ridiculously short amount of time).

Agreed on missing the semester in Madrid.

Exactly. I thought perhaps some restaurant owners were willing to do whatever it takes in order to get a favorable review.

I got my semester in Madrid in the Fall of 08 with Majerus Magic.

Watching Bill's games at 5am while MM went ape on a shoddy internet feed was priceless.

We spent some serious coin talking on the phone about the Bills beating BC when I was in ROme and he was in Morocco.

Oh to be broke now...

Estudie en Madrid durante este semestre pasado-- en el otono. Creo que era el mejor semestre durante mi tiempo a SLU.

Amongst the only things I felt I missed out on while abroad were Thanksgiving and Billiken basketball. Billikens.com was a refuge for at least one of those things-- sadly the stuffing made on this forum isn't quite up to par. The only game I could gametrack through though was the Notre Dame game, which was frustrating and I thought at the time would be how the season went; however, I have been pleasantly surprised with how it has turned out.

In my opinion, the key to our success is the progression of Cassity. I think having Cody in the lineup, creating a different threat really lets Kwamain and Kyle do their own things without much pressure. Willie is still a work in progress and if he become half the player that former St. Joe's Nivens or Xavier's Love are, we will be beastily. Seeing Reed and Conklin bang around with Notre Dame's Harrangody just made me whet my appetite about what they both come become. I also give a lot of credit to Coach Majerus-- the dude knows his X's and O's much better than anybody else in the A10 I'd say, except maybe Moser. I still don't know how Porter finds time to be an assistant coach, fight crime, and develop cures for strange diseases the way he does... what a machine.

Hola! from SLU Madrid--

Q: what accounts for the sudden upgrades in the Bills' overall game? Give me a few, simple bullet points that explain how this team is so much better in 6 weeks. Or, are they??

Cogent answer; the transformation of Cassity into a willing, successful shooter and the addition of Ellis. Without those 2, you wouldn't have noticed much of a difference.

I know Major Majerus will appreciate the vino descriptions).....

I took a Wine Merchant trip to Barcelona a few years ago - favorite wine area visited was Priorat. While Rioja has the longest reputation, Priorat and Riberta Del Duero appelations have passed Rioja with their stunning run of great vintages the past decade.

I missed Madrid when over there, and I envy anyone who can spend a semester anywhere in western Europe.

Adios, muchachos... one of the GREAT TANGOS in history

I'm nervous about waking up the powers that be about this, but there are ways to get the Bills radio broadcasts over the net. Search around and you can find links. That's all I'm saying about that.