Nitology

BLIKNS

Illinois fans are great and all but they expect NCAA tourney births. No way could they sell 10k+ tics to a first round NIT game in St. Louis.

Do you seriously think SLU would get a lawsuit filed against them because somebody spent $20 on a ticket and it wasn't exactly in the same spot it was at the Chaifetz? Come on now.

I thought it was strange that the prices of the tickets fell to $20 and $10 instead of the $25 we usually pay.

We all filled out a form marking whether we wanted our own or upgraded seats

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois fans are great and all but they expect NCAA tourney births. No way could they sell 10k+ tics to a first round NIT game in St. Louis.

Do you seriously think SLU would get a lawsuit filed against them because somebody spent $20 on a ticket and it wasn't exactly in the same spot it was at the Chaifetz? Come on now.

I said, "sadly, this day in age," - so yes, I could see some idiot suing to get attention.

I highly doubt it would be successful, but I could see it happening.

I'll maintain that moving would be a poor choice on the part of SLU.

At the prices they are asking for tickets, Billikens and the Illini would sell out Chaifetz.

SLU would be able to keep all the parking and concession fees for a match at the Fetz, at the Scott they would lose all that to the Blues. This is why they built the facility. It has to be there.

They are losing money big time with the women's bball program foundering. I thought this was where they would have had the biggest uptick in revenue, since they got almost nothing when they were at the old building. The women's bball program has to get fixed.

mhg

And 3 wins, we don't have to worry about the NIT

True that! BTW, I'm new to the Billiken board so be gentle. Thanks!

And 3 wins, we don't have to worry about the NIT

That seems like a fine line to make the NIT in my opinion. I'd like to think we're already on firm ground, and one win on Friday seals the deal. 11-5 in this conference is a lot to overlook. I feel like if we really do need 2 wins to seal the NIT, this is like Alec Baldwin's all-time classic scene in Glengarry Glen Ross:

3 wins and you're in the Tournament ("First place is a new Cadillac").

2 wins and you're in the NIT ("Second place is a set of steak knives").

1 win and you're going home ("Third place is you're fired").

RPI is too low for anything less than League Championship to get us in. Make it to the finals, and our seed in the NIT is awesome, baby!

mhg

Lunardi has Illinois in with an RPI in the 70's (warrennolan.com). Given the lack of strength of teams on the bubble, this year might be an exception to the standard RPI rules.

Lunardi has Illinois in with an RPI in the 70's (warrennolan.com). Given the lack of strength of teams on the bubble, this year might be an exception to the standard RPI rules.

Illinois doesn't deserve a bid. Any at-large team with 13, soon to be 14 losses should automatically be out of the tourney. Ought to be a rule or something. Really hoping for home games for the Bills in the NIT. Even with a loss on Friday, I can't believe they wouldn't make it.

realtime rpi has Illinois at 75.

I understand we have a high RPI, but those picking also understand that:

SLU is a different team with Ellis

3 of the bad loses came before Ellis

Majerus is a draw

SLU has upset ability.

Majerus is a draw

SLU has upset ability.

Agreed. Further support that we might have a very small chance of getting in if we make the A-10 finals. I think it is highly unlikely.

Majerus is a draw

SLU has upset ability.

No way Jose.

I don't know why Illinois is still getting any consideration as they don't deserve to be an at large but just because a very large state school that travels extremely well is getting extra consideration does not mean that SLU is going to jump about 30 teams (in the RPI or other computer polls) to get an at-large.

No way Jose.

I don't know why Illinois is still getting any consideration as they don't deserve to be an at large but just because a very large state school that travels extremely well is getting extra consideration does not mean that SLU is going to jump about 30 teams (in the RPI or other computer polls) to get an at-large.

The Illinois thing has me scratching me head. What have they done that warrants any discussion? It's not as if they have a low RPI, but pass the "eye test". Almost every big game they've played, they've been blown out.

Bills need at least one win to have a good shot an NIT home game. Two wins secures it.

Agree with BB. That first round game in the A10 tourney is for a home NIT game (probably Rhody). That's a huge game. Win it and the boys have nothing to lose. They should be relaxed and confident in the next game against Temple. Majerus may be a disaster in interviews but the man can game plan. I like our chances of coming up with a better game plan to match up with Temple than a our last effort against them at the Fetz. We get by Rhody and we might be able to dream a little.

The Illinois thing has me scratching me head. What have they done that warrants any discussion? It's not as if they have a low RPI, but pass the "eye test". Almost every big game they've played, they've been blown out.

Winning at Clemson and at the Kohl Center are two of their big plusses, no one wins there (like the Fetz). As well as a win against Michigan St. I don't think they should get it, but they have some high profile Ws, we don't have anything like that. Unfortunately for them the rough part of their Big10 schedule was bunched at the end of the year.

Here are the 3 wins that are keeping Illinois in the talk:

W at Clemson

W vs Vanderbilt

W at Wisconsin

To many bad losses including Utah and Bradley

Agree re Illinois- they are shooting like a bunch of brick layers.

I don't know if Weber knows what type of team he has. It seems like a hodgepodge of misfits.

But they are 10-8 in the almighty Big Ten, and that is usually good enough for an NCAA at large bid.

The Big Ten will be lobbying hard for 5 teams. Mucho dinero is involved here.

Here are the 3 wins that are keeping Illinois in the talk:

W at Clemson

W vs Vanderbilt

W at Wisconsin

To many bad losses including Utah and Bradley

Clemson is not that good. Saw them last night vs. Wake and they're overrated. That shouldn't really be counted as a "good win" any more. People got excited about them early on because they waxed UNC, but then everyone starting beating down the woeful Tar Heels(For a guy who lives in NC, that's a fun thing to say.)

Illinois does not belong.

No way Jose.

The pre Ellis days are killing us. Our RPI for the conference seaon is 41. Non-con is 192. Three losses in above 100 teams in the non-conference with no win wins against top 100 teams in the non conference destroyed our RPI.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball...w;pageContainer

Okay, so I haven't posted much, but have been a lurker for quite a while. I went to SLU undergrad and Illinois for grad school. Talk about two programs ending the year year in different directions. Plus, two schools that have different expectations at least at this point. I am ecstatic that SLU should make the NIT and still has a chance at the NCAA. Being an Illinois fan, it's frustrating to see them play to the level of the teams they play. If they had half the heart that SLU did, based on their "supposed" talent level they'd be a top 25 team. The one similarity, both teams for a while liked to get down by double digits before they turned it on.

As for Illinois making the NCAA, most people thought that after beating MSU at home and Wisc on the road, we'd be set. Just had to take care of business at Michigan and at home vs. Minnesota. The Minnesota loss killed us. Anyway, U of I did have some of those marquee wins that are needed to make up for a few killer losses (Utah, Bradley, Georgia). Beating MSU, Wisc on the road, Clemson, and Vandy were big. To whoever posted that they've been blown out in every big game though, that's a bit of a misnomer. They were not in 3 games this year. The two OSU losses were ugly. And then the other one sadly was Mizzou...The others we were in and FT's at the end were the only reason the games ended up in double digits. Lost to Purdue by 8 and 10. Lost to Gonzaga by 2 in OT. Even this last loss to Wisc, only down 5 with 7 to go then the wheels came off. The problem wasn't that they didn't show up for the big games, it's that they didn't show up for some of the supposedly easy wins. The Illini need a win against Wisc on Thurs and a win agains tOSU on Friday to get them selves firmly back in.

Anyway, back to the real team here. I'd love to see SLU win out and go to the NCAA, but even if that doesn't happen, I think the experience of playing in a post-season tourney of any sort is beneficial. More games is always good and will help us gain experience for next year. Seeing as I just moved back to town and put my deposit down on season tickets for next year, I'm excited to see where this team can go. I can re-live my college years that included Hughes and J-Love. Which leads me to ask, whose leg do we need to break this year to win the tourney? For once, it may be no ones.

Go Bills.