who is everyone

former_d1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That ND game was tremendous and everything you guys have said is true, but the most heartbreaking part was Jesse "The Ghost" Leonard taking the final shot from about 15 feet. Should have passed the ball to Harry, or Irving (although he was double-teamed) or Carlos Martinez - anybody. The Ghost was pretty tough inside, but not much of an outside shot.

The freshman team should have been great. Besides Reis and Dangos, Tom McEvoy (DuBourg), Wenley Morton (Beaumont) and Kevin Wall (Kansas City) were all great high school players, but never meshed.

Anyway, SLU72, you and I must be the old guys of this board. I'm SLU '74, Finance degree from the old C&F school (before Business Admin). Played baseball for 4 years, and never missed a home game, whether it was at the old Kiel or the old Arena. I've been a Billiken fan going back to the late 50's when Bennington was coach. My brother got to be a ballboy for a year, but when it came to be my turn Bennington was gone and Buddy Boehmer (Ugh!!) was here. I still think the Bills will win a national title in my lifetime.

I too appreciate your wisdom as it relates to mothers who also read these posts.

My regret is that I can only watch my son for only two years. But with out doubt this is going to be a wild and thrilling ride. I look forward with great anticipation of a sleeper team that is going to rise up and kick some butt this season beyond expectation...bring on UAB!

John Bennington was a good coach, but never really got established here. He was hired away to Michigan State (possibly Michigan - memory fades at this age). He coached there a few years and died of a heart attack. I believe he had a very large family, 7 or 8 children.

Add one more announcer to the list, Joe Garagiola. He did color for one, maybe two years.

When Lobo was carrying on with protests I was responsible for the athletics section in the yearbook, the 63 edition. Was also Student Conclave representative to the athletic department senior year. That was a lot of fun. Bob Stewart was the AD those years.

You got water logged in Seattle?! I think you mentioned living in Seattle before. Did you say that you lived in Everett? I live just north of downtown and people tell me that I've had unusually great weather since I moved here (plenty of those rare sunny winter days)-- and then this summer was one of the driest on record. I don't miss the heat or the cold at all. We'll see how winter #2 goes; I may be looking to move to the sunshine state myself...

Jesse The Ghost Leonard, from Mississippi, man that brings back some memories. I really don't remember much about that freshman team. I do remember the following Freshman season when Polk brought in about 15 kids. Believe they went undefeated or close to it. I know they beat the Mizzery Frosh at Kiel when we played them in 71-72. One of the players was a kid named Nance from Chicago. He was one of the first players I ever saw do the scissors dribble. I seem to recall he got into some sort of trouble his sophomore year at SLU and that was it. Did anyone go to the playoff game against UL at Bradley that year. One could write a movie about our road trip up there. We actually lost one of our travelling mates after the game. Seems he found a young Bradley Co-ed and ended up taking a bus back to SLU the next day.

Going on 9 years as a member of the SLU Band trumpet section. I stand near the set. 27 and employed in radio in STL. Lifelong Billiken fan, parents have had season tix forever and I've been going to games with them since I was about 6. Dad was an Oklahoma A&M grad (now State) and big fan of Henry Iba and college hoops...mom is a SLU grad.

So far, the most amazing memory was rushing that court after beating DePaul at the Miracle in Memphis. Best road trip EVER!

I also know SLUWX and know that the band will miss him...figures, he leaves when we may start playing the Bonnies on a more regular basis. (You had quite a time with that team!)

I am 24 y/o and an occasional college student at Flo Valley and UMSL. I have an associates in Crim Justice and am pursuing my bachelors in the aformentioned or secondary ed.

Born in August of 79 I attended my first Billiken game at two months old and have been a fan ever since. My grandfather started going to the games when he moved here after WW II, he was BBall coach at Riverview and the Ad until the mid seventies. My father went with him, and passed his love for the Billikens onto me. My first real memories are sitting in the second to back row of the mezzanine at Kiel watching my favorite player Pee Wee Lenard. Have missed only a handful of home games in my lifetime. Used to get to a ton of road games when we were in the MCC and always went to the tourney in Indianapolis. Unfortunately can't do that anymore due to work and school schedules, probably the last road game I was at was against Kentucky in Atlanta. I would post my seat number but I am not sure where they are, we switched to the middle, got tired of being squeezed in those tiny seats at the bottom.

There are only a couple certainties in my family, you must vote democrat, you must love the Billikens, and you must hate the Tigers in that order.

41,disgruntled letter carrier for Postal Service.Married for 20 years,2 daughters(10 and 8).Became Billiken fan the day Rich Grawer was hired(caught up in DeSmet and Stipo).Follow the Bills here,try to listen to KMOX,Midwest Sports Report.Born in Florida,and wife is from California, so beach lovers by birth,both of us,teaching the girls,and will retire to Florida,hopefully win the powerball soon.Live in Blue Springs,MO.Root for all St.Louis teams.

I am a 00' Grad, BA in Poli Sci. Army Brat grew up all over US and Germany graduated from Waynesville High School (Ft. Leonard Wood). I chose SLU over Wash U., Auburn, GA Tech and Drury College. Member of Sigma Chi. Married a Baby Blue also a huge Billikens fan (hates SPUMAC as much as I) currently raising two future Baby Blues (they already have some of the dances down at 3 yrs. old). Uncle Sam paid for my education and even lined me up with a job upon graduation. Currently I am a Captain, Field Artillery, Iraqi Freedom Vet. living in Ft. Sill, OK.

47, coached HS basketball for several years and am currently band director at a small school in NW Wisconsin(just couldn't direct the band AND coach the team any longer. My arms were getting tired!). Reffed a lot of hoops until blowing out my knee two years ago. Saw Brad play college basketball! Came here when Brad did, was very upset when Wisconsin let him go, but Brad landed on his feet as I expected and the Bills are benefitting. post mostly during season as I have several teams to follow, the Badgers, the Bills and the Washington State Cougars (Bennett ball is back!), the UWGB Phoenix, UW Women and UWGB women.

Anyone here know a good divorce lawyer!

I still have a few friends who live in Seattle, so I know that they had both a dry and warm summer. Keep in mind, the majority of homes in Seattle do not have AC, so if the Temps get in the upper 80's to low 90's for any period of time, people get a little testy and start hoping for rain. True Seattlelites love the rain and think that is the way it should be...IMHO that's crazy, as we worship the sun.

UW- Stevens Point, '77, watched UB growing up, watched him play high school and college ball, have followed him through all his coaching stops. He stood up at my wedding. Friend of the family.

Read the posts everyday. I know I speak for a number of us who are SLU fans because Brad is the coach. We are very passionate supporters, even though it may be for slightly different reasons. Have learned a great deal about SLU b-ball (both current and history) by reading the posts. Glad to see so many people that live and die with SLU hoops.

Let the games begin