who is everyone

former_d1

bonwich, as my wife is a registered nurse at st louis university hospital, tenet (in their purchase agreement with slu) agreed to pay 2/3 of the tuition of the hospital employees and their families. hopefully my kids ball abilities will get them the other 1/3 of a scholarship. if not, i have a nightime job lined up at the fairview heights white castle to try to offset the difference.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would actually prefer the North Carolina A&T game, K-State, or Butler. Since I think those will be the only three that I will be in Stl for. I may go to the Georgia Tech game school permitting. Only problem with those three games may be that other people may be out of town for the Holidays (as I come home for the holidays).

We should really set up a board meeting (not the executive kind).

Steve

OK...My turn. I graduated from Parks in 1988 with a B.S. in Aeronautics (Aeronautical Administration). Beginning with my sophomore year I never missed a home game, and believe me without having a car it wasn't always easy making it from Cahokia to the Kiel. I also attended a few of those MCC tournaments in Indianapolis.

I grew up in Dallas and spent some time in the middle east when I was a kid (My father worked in Jordan and Saudi Arabia for several years), and I attended the same high-school as Donnie Braun (Thomas More Prep).

I don't have my 4 seat numbers here with me but I am in the lower bowl, in the corner opposite of the Billikens bench.

I know the FH White Castle well--those are my old stomping grounds. I'm a Belleville East grad- 1981, but grew up in FH. So, is the White Castle hiring?

I picked the wrong area of the law in which to specialize. The plaintiffs attorney's seem to be doing pretty well. Oh to be on the receiving end of a tobacco settlement. If I'm the recipient of such social goodwill, I'd gladly send my kids to SLU.

22...Born in Cleveland OH...spent 1/2 of my freshman yr at Cleveland St. Ignatius before moving to Dallas, TX where I graduated from Dallas Jesuit. Currently working for Levi Strauss here in Dallas. Decided to split the difference between Dallas and Cleveland went to SLU after they made a very nice schollie offer. Student season ticket holder all 4 yrs and looking forward to seeing the Sodabunch come to Ft Worth Jan 6 and watching the Bills on national TV vs Zona.

I'm 22 and a 2003 grad of SLU (BA Communications). I work at a radio station in mid-Mo (95.7FM) that reaches 40 counties throughout Missouri (it also reaches a few in Illinois and Iowa). I've actually worked there since I was 16. I also worked at KSLU where I was Sports Director and started "The Billiken Sports Hour." I was a season ticket holder every year I was a student and loved every minute of it. I spent my last two years at SLU going to games with StlCardinal and SLUFanatic, both of whom barely post on here (hint, hint).

Being a mid-Mo native, I must admit that I grew up a Mizzou fan. That changed, however, when I decided to attend SLU. Now Mizzou is probably my least favorite school in the country. It's mainly the fans that get on my nerves because they never give SLU any credit for anything. The most frustrating thing, however, is that many people in my town (Mexico, Mo) have never even heard of SLU. They think it is either the College of Pharmacy or UMSL. Not that there's anything wrong with those schools, but it's still a slap in the face!

I am currently single (and always looking! :)). I don't plan on getting married any time soon, but the girl I marry will have to be a Billiken fan! If not, she gets the old heeve-ho!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

19, sophomore at SLU enrolled in the John Cook School of Business. Trumpet player in the SLU Pep Band, which as SLUWX said is the Greatest Band on Earth. 2002 graduate of DeSmet Jesuit High School(hence the name of DeSmetBilliken). I have been going to Billiken Basketball games since I was less than a year old. The first season I remember was the 1988-89 season, which was the first of the two consecutive NIT finals runs. I remember the next year going to the first practice festivities and getting Anthony Bonner, who was my favorite Billiken at the time and still is among my favorite Billikens, to sign an autograph for me on a paper plate. I was there when we beat DePaul to go to New York for the second straight year. I was also there for the last game at the Kiel Auditorium. In more recent years, I was at both games against Mizzou in St. Louis, upset wins over Kansas and Cincinnati in the 98-99 season, and most recently the upset over Louisville, though I did not rush the court. I remember nervously sitting through French class when we beat UC in Memphis in 2000, not knowing what the result was going to be, while some other teachers were allowing their classes watch the game. Also, I joined the Billiken Club last year, and I am probably among its youngest members. SLU is now on its 4th coach during my lifetime, and I hope Brad Soderberg is the coach here for a long time.

JD class of 86. My mother was a Billikens cheerleader in the late 50s and she is probably the reason I am a Billikens fan today (oddly enough as she is not much of a sports fan EXCEPT for her Billikens). My parents had season tickets starting in the 70s and, as SLU72 mentioned, it was pretty grim at the old arena as we 3000 or so huddled together in the barn. As soon as I could drive, my parents often gave me their tickets. Mom, Dad, myself and 2 siblings are all Billiken grads. Dad played D-1 football (Marquette, he was on the last Marquette football team) and was not much of b-ball fan so it was something I shared with my mother ... could be the only thing! Rich Grawer was at DeSmet when I was in high school (taught me european history, I did not play for Rich as those where the Stiponovich years at DeSmet and there was no room for a thin 6'1" power forward on that squad). Thus, when Grawer came to SLU I became even more interested in the program. While in law school, a bunch of us played pickup at the Simon Center 4 or 5 days per week. Billien Players--then current (Monroe, Roland) and former (Pee Wee Leonard, Luther Burden, et al.) were regulars in those games. We had a number of x-college b-ball guys in our law school class (John Mimlitz, Ted's brother, and Collins Robinson (played D3 back east) were probably the best) so we could somewhat run with these guys or at least not embarrass ourselves. Loved those games even though they were often well above my talent level.

Lived in DC '89 to '95 working for DOJ. Did get back for Billiken games on a regular basis and saw the one NCAA game the Bills played in Baltimore.

Have been running my own online legal forms company since 2000. Much happier with life now. Live near Tower Grove Park with my wife (who I have drafted into being a Billikens fan--she went with me to the NIT loss last year).

Would be happy to meet other members of the board for cold one.

46, business writer by trade, BA in Communications '77, MA in English '79. U-News staffer for several years (in the Jean Trimble/Erv Switzer era -- about when bonwich and Taj were cutting their teeth at the keyboard). Watched more Billiken hockey than basketball when I was school...but have had season tix since Bonner's freshman year. Married my SLU sweetheart (we met in the Griesedieck cafeteria), and raised all three of my children to be die-hard Billiken fans. Son #1 attended SLU for two years, before taking time off to enter the Jesuit novitiate. Son #2 is currently enrolled, in the business school. Our daughter -- a high school soph -- loves the the Bills...but says she wants to go to ND and become an architect. Where did I go wrong?

30, Married with one Billiken Fan, I mean son. Graduate of SLU Classes of 95(BA communications) and 99(MHA). Work in Healthcare on the managment side. Have been in healthcare for 13 years, but have been a Billiken fan for 30 years. My dad was a SLU grad circa 1966 (undergrad) and 1968(graduate School), so I have been a fan since conception, and have attended most home games since I was probably 5 years old. So thats who I am - kind of!!!

I didn't realize we were including family information. It is easy being a Billiken fan in my house as my wife is also an alum (AS 1990). My 8 year old and 2 year old enjoy the games immensly. Eight year old (daughter) enjoys the cheerleaders, 2 year old (son) likes the Billiken!

Could be worse she could say she wants to go to missouri! :) J/K However, you could hardly blame her though for wanting to go to Notre Dame its not a bad school :)! My dad and most of his brothers went to slu, the one that didn't went to Notre Dame!

57, SLUH, SEMO grad, accounting education from UMSL, CPA and financial planner, heavily involved in real estate, semi retired, still play noontime hoops 2-3 time per week at Brentwood Y, raised 3 daughters - 2 overachievers and one (for the moment) underachiever...she was the first Billiken ball girl and started when Grawer was there - I asked him if she could be and he stammered he didn't see why not, so she sat on the court every home game for 2-3 years...and freed up one of my seats for someone else. Season ticket holder going back to Kiel. Wife Donna got her MA at SLU, thus earning valuable points for my seat status. Now a retired teacher. Daughter Jessica finished a 4 year RN program at SLU - 1st in her class. Now has a CRNA degree from Webster. Oldest daughter Rebecca is an Olin Fellow at Wash U - working on a PHD. BA from Truman and MA from UMSL. Uncle Joe has been the official scorer at SLU games for the last 50+ years. Enuf!

I'm 20, and a junior in the business school (MIS & Marketing major--if anyone needs an IT professional to start in spring '05, let me know :-) ). I also happen to be Scrivener's son (see above). Like DeSmetBilliken, I've been going to Billiken games ever since I can remember. The first team I really remember well was the Clagget/Highmark/H team when they were juniors. I dreamed of playing for the Billikens throughout gradeschool, but unfortunately I inherited my dad's basketball skills (or lack thereof), so I'll have to settle for being a die-hard fan. I graduated from DeSmet in '01. I am also a die-hard Cardinals baseball fan (hence the screen name), so watching the Cubs win these past few days has been quite painful. I love to play guitar, and I'm currently learning classical guitar in addition to acoustic rock I have been playing for several years.

Scrivener,

I find this news quite troubling. I can't believe that you and StlCardinal have not shown her the error in her ways. All is not lost, however! Give me five minutes with her and I'm sure I can convince her otherwise. After graduating from SLU and dating a Notre Dame-ian, I know plenty about each school. I can even convince her to be a Comm major like you and I. Don't worry, help is on the way!!!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

I remember sweating out that UC game at DeSmet like it was yesterday. I was in Honors English with Sr. Blanche when the game was getting to final minutes, and to my shock, Sr. actually let us watch the game in class. I don't think anyone else in the class cared nearly as much as I did, so I had to try to keep the emotions in check, which proved to be difficult. That weekend I also watched DeSmet in the basketball final four in Columbia, so it was quite the exciting week for basketball (even though the Spartans couldn't quite beat Vashon that year).

I was in Geometry Freshman year listening on a personal radio. I had to turn it off when there were 4 minutes left in the game. After school I ran to a computer to check the score, SLU Won. And that morning my dad made a bet with me that if SLU beat Cincy we would go to Memphis. Boy was that a good weekend.

Steve

SLUH '93? I don't remember anyone named Drew in my high school class. Finlay, Normile, and O'Brien have also been going to games for as long as I remember, but I can't remember anyone else. Did you mean SLU '93? Who are you?

I've figured out who you are. You should shoot hoops with us on Sunday nights. Schaller, Normile, O'Brien, Rollo, and Berns are regulars. Harris, Finlay, and Gremaud even show up every now and then. E-mail me at [email protected], and I will provide you with the details. If anyone else would like to play, we always welcome more people.