We have been OFFICIALLY invited to join the A-10

davidnark

http://atlantic10.org/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=710

Atlantic 10 Conference Offers Membership to Charlotte and Saint Louis

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PHILADELPHIA, PA – The Atlantic 10 Conference Presidents Council extended membership offers to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Saint Louis University, beginning with the 2005-06 season. The announcement was made this afternoon by commissioner Linda Bruno.

"Charlotte and Saint Louis are outstanding institutions with strong commitments to athletic excellence," says Bruno. "The two institutions fit perfectly with the current Atlantic 10 membership and would further strengthen our position as one of the best college basketball conferences in the country.

"In addition, the success of their Olympic sports programs would enhance the entire league. We all look forward to Charlotte and Saint Louis accepting our invitations."

Charlotte, which has 17,000 students, sponsors the Atlantic 10 sports of baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, men's golf, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track & field, and women's volleyball. Saint Louis sponsors the A-10 sports of baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, field hockey, men's golf, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's swimming & diving, men's and women's tennis, and women's volleyball. Saint Louis boasts a student enrollment of 12,100.

The Atlantic 10 Conference consists of the University of Dayton, Duquesne University, Fordham University, The George Washington University, La Salle University, University of Massachusetts, University of Rhode Island, University of Richmond, St. Bonaventure University, Saint Joseph's University, Temple University, and Xavier University

The Atlantic 10 Conference will crown champions in 21 sports this season: baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, field hockey, men's golf, women's lacrosse, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track & field, women's rowing, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's swimming & diving, men's and women's tennis, and women's volleyball.

Welcome to the league! I am probably speaking for most Bona fans when I say that we made an excellent choice by adding you and Charlotte. We are a league that is happy to offer safe harbor to any quality non-football refugees. We look forward to establishing new rivalries and familiarizing ourselves with new programs. I know we have played you the last two years and Charlotte 3 times in the last 4 years, but things look totally different when you play them as league games. Plus we can get you two to play at OUR home court now! I guarantee you will love it. Good luck and I will be rooting for you this year and in all OOC games for years to come.

XBand, how strict is the A-10 on pep bands for the A-10 tourney. The C-USA office has been nothing but a thorn in the side of those of us who are in the SLU Band. C-USA seems to have a problem with the idea that we actually have fun at the games.

Speaking of C-USA, I wonder how much Brenda Weir and her colleagues at their office celebrated when we were invited to join the A-10 today? :)

Something along the lines of "Sit down so the fans behind you can see the game" - back when the tournament was in Philly a few years ago, the place was virtually empty so you could usually stand during the whole game and have a good time.

Last year at UD Arena, though, the bands had to sit down during the games b/c of the crowds. Only the Dayton band was much of a nuisance - they had a tendency to drag on their music for what seemed like 5 minutes at a time. Their director was funny though - it was almost like watching a 10-year old who had loaded up on Cocoa Puffs for breakfast.

Of course, by the time that you guys are in the A-10, the tournament will be in Cincy. I'm guessing we'll see near to full capacity crowds for those sessions, so I'd expect the A-10 brass to keep the bands seated during the games.

The key is the tourney games are going to be at the downtown arena (used to be the riverfront Coleseium, now I think its called US bank arena, or something) The last time we were there 2 years ago for c-usa, they did not have any seating on the floor besides the bands and press in the end zones. none of the seating from the lower bowl extends out onto the floor like it does at freedom hall or kiel here in stl. That meant we were able to stand the entire time. we'll see if the same is true this year.

i find it amazingly ironic that the year we switch conferences (05) is the same year as the start of a two year deal to play in the same city that we've played so freakin often...we will end up playing a conference tourney in cincy 5 times in 8 years

as a band person, i'm just thrilled that we wont have to deal with c-usa stuff and brenda weare anymore. i just wish this season was our last and we made the move next year. i hate lame duck seasons. whatever the a-10 rules are, ANYTHING is better than the c-usa crap.

2005 shaping up to be a landmark year.

- new league

- possibly new arena

- possibly kevin lisch

- soderberg recruits take over the team

now a final four would be a nice finish to the season. :-)