OBSERVATION ON UMKC GAME

Billikan

+1, This is very true. Refs favored SLU tonight for sure.

I measure the quality of the refs by the number of times that 05 says they are a joke, are screwing us, are blowing the game, or beat their wives. 25 means average night, 40 or more means they're probably against us, and less than 15 means they are probably favoring us.

Tonight, it was about 5, so I think it's safe to say the calls were coming our way.

Then again, he was probably distracted by taking pictures of all the UMKC fans flipping him the bird.

really, c'mon runnin' did my presence mean nothing at all?

I wholeheartedly apologize. NH was there too. He was integral to our team supporting efforts. I have edited that post to include you. I forgot because you were in the row behind us and too busy being "rational" and saying things like "that wasn't a bad call at all." Sheesh. Are you happy now? :P

BTW, the Roos were only 2/5 on FTs down the stretch when I screamed "MISS IT" from my seat it the upper bowl. RUBillsFan 3, UMKC 2.

I'm just glad Roy Williams was not there or I would have been thrown out.

"Mickey Scales is 6th in the majors this year in hitting left handed pitchers that he was facing for the first time after the 6th inning, so he's got that going for him"

"Mickey Scales is 6th in the majors this year in hitting left handed pitchers that he was facing for the first time after the 6th inning, so he's got that going for him"

I love obscure stats. Living in KC and going to a few Royals games they were all about the obscure states (probably because their players normal stats were so terrible). Emil Brown was 4 for 10 with 2 doubles on Sundays with a rain delay before the All-Star break back in 2006.

I thought the game was horribly played and refereed. The UMKC offensive scheme was simple and straightforward. One would assume that our guys would know how to get past the picks, switch men on picks when needed, and not get beat on the back door. But alas, our defense was not very good.

Fortunately, the referees called too many plays in our favor. I am a true-blue billiken fan, but the calls were clearly going in our favor for the first 50 to 55 minutes of the game. Unfortunately, the refs tried to give the UMKC players some calls during the last five to ten minutes of the game, which was/is not a good time to "even" out the fouls.

I thought the UMKC coach did a very good job of not getting all-bent-out-shape by the bad calls. And the technical foul call by the ref was ridiculous. That ref was halfway across the court from the coach when he called the T. I doubt he even heard what the coach said. Nor did the posture or actions of the coach warrant a T. It was a ridiculous call.

Well at least we got the win.

I thought the game was horribly played and refereed. The UMKC offensive scheme was simple and straightforward. One would assume that our guys would know how to get past the picks, switch men on picks when needed, and not get beat on the back door. But alas, our defense was not very good.

Fortunately, the referees called too many plays in our favor. I am a true-blue billiken fan, but the calls were clearly going in our favor for the first 50 to 55 minutes of the game. Unfortunately, the refs tried to give the UMKC players some calls during the last five to ten minutes of the game, which was/is not a good time to "even" out the fouls.

I thought the UMKC coach did a very good job of not getting all-bent-out-shape by the bad calls. And the technical foul call by the ref was ridiculous. That ref was halfway across the court from the coach when he called the T. I doubt he even heard what the coach said. Nor did the posture or actions of the coach warrant a T. It was a ridiculous call.

20 + 20 = 40, 50 to 55 + 5 to 10 = 60, OT = 5, 40 + ( 5 x 4 ) = 60. I didn't realize we went into quadruple overtime.

I'm sorry but I thought we were awful in almost every facet of the game except the "give it to Kwamain so he can take over" aspect. Free throws were awful except for Christian. Willie was missing in action and didn't seem to have nearly the same impact on either end of the game that we have seen in the past. I almost wonder if he was sick. Brian had a rough game and certainly didn't rise to the challenge of being benched. If it wasn't for KM we clearly would have lost and it would have been a loooong week until we played again. Kwamain was outstanding though and my hats off to him for taking over when he needed to.

Lastly, anyone that says we NEVER have the refs in our favor probably should watch tape of that game. They served us up a nice home-cooked Christmas dinner and there really is no disputing it.

Actually as far as the refs go - I agree - I can only think of one call that I actually disputed so that is pretty good.

The reason the T was called was the coach had been warned more than once that he was crossing the line - I just think the refs had enough of him at that point. Their bench was a little out of control and I mean even their coaches - one time they were all up and over the sideline when KM was coming down with the ball and he almost ran into them. I know the coach wanted the game badly but he did not help his team with his behavior.

The reason the T was called was the coach had been warned more than once that he was crossing the line - I just think the refs had enough of him at that point. Their bench was a little out of control and I mean even their coaches - one time they were all up and over the sideline when KM was coming down with the ball and he almost ran into them. I know the coach wanted the game badly but he did not help his team with his behavior.

The refs warned him for the first time about 30 seconds into the game. He was constantly jarring at them, wouldn't shut up, acting like a pissy 3 year old, and standing on OUR court DURING play (That's not yours, Matt!). I can't count the number of times I yelled "Get off the court, Matt!!" It probably wasn't anything big. Looked like a "I'm tired of your bitching. Shut the hell up" call. Can't blame him for being pissed with some of the calls, but you can't wear it on your sleeve all day. Refs are humans who do have a limit to the amount they will listen to.

The refs warned him for the first time about 30 seconds into the game. He was constantly jarring at them, wouldn't shut up, acting like a pissy 3 year old, and standing on OUR court DURING play (That's not yours, Matt!). I can't count the number of times I yelled "Get off the court, Matt!!" It probably wasn't anything big. Looked like a "I'm tired of your bitching. Shut the hell up" call. Can't blame him for being pissed with some of the calls, but you can't wear it on your sleeve all day. Refs are humans who do have a limit to the amount they will listen to.

I know some think that SLU got all the calls but truthfully, when you play on the road that is what happens. If that coach doesn't understand that then he will be T'd more than he cares to think about. It is OK to complain about a call but pick your spots - if you complain about everything then the refs simply will tune you out.