PHENOMENAL Student Turnout tonight

AlumniFan

Great comment on TT's post-mortem

"Thanks for being so nice to our students. Nice building you got there. That said, if your students travel to Springfield next year, I think we’ll be smart enough to put them somewhere near the rafters. 10-0.

— AB "

That about says it all.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great comment on TT's post-mortem

"Thanks for being so nice to our students. Nice building you got there. That said, if your students travel to Springfield next year, I think we’ll be smart enough to put them somewhere near the rafters. 10-0.

— AB "

That about says it all.

Wow. I have never been nothing but supportive of the SLU community and a huge advocate for the university, but last night was the first time I was actually EMBARRASSED to be a Billiken fan. If the decision to all opposing teams' students take over the student section can do that to me, imagine what it did to everyone else. Way to build a program. I would have loved to hear what Majerus had to say right after the game.

My favorite was when I was talking to an usher before the game and i was saying how ridiculous this was and he said, "well, you can talk to my supervisor...i'll point him out when he comes by." Seriously? Something is wrong with that conversation right there.

There is NO reason why there should not be more Greeks at the games. Certainly, each fraternity/sorority will have chapter meetings at some point during the week that may conflict with games as well as occasional events that may take precedence over basketball, but on the vast majority of nights, these guys have nothing better to do than look at pr0n and play video games. Frankly, I don't understand why more Greeks don't show up.

There is NO reason why there should not be more Greeks at the games. Certainly, each fraternity/sorority will have chapter meetings at some point during the week that may conflict with games as well as occasional events that may take precedence over basketball, but on the vast majority of nights, these guys have nothing better to do than look at pr0n and play video games. Frankly, I don't understand why more Greeks don't show up.

Georgetown, Notre Dame, etc.. don't have frats. Marquette barely has a few and they are a non-factor socially. Aren't frats more of a big state school type of thing?

Georgetown, Notre Dame, etc.. don't have frats. Marquette barely has a few and they are a non-factor socially. Aren't frats more of a big state school type of thing?

It was some time ago but when our group was at SLU as undergrads the pledges were required to go when the doors opened and save the best seats for our frat guys and several other frats did the same thing. We always had a big group in the the best seats in the student section at old Kiel and we almost never missed a game. I always assumed that the frats are not nearly as active these days. I also assumed that we were not as intense about the idea of studying as the kids are today! But somehow we all did fine in life!

It was some time ago but when our group was at SLU as undergrads the pledges were required to go when the doors opened and save the best seats for our frat guys and several other frats did the same thing. We always had a big group in the the best seats in the student section at old Kiel and we almost never missed a game. I always assumed that the frats are not nearly as active these days. I also assumed that we were not as intense about the idea of studying as the kids are today! But somehow we all did fine in life!

In my experience Nationally, frats are the outcasts at schools similar to SLU and the size of SLU. That's for the big state schools to help meet people in a 50k environment. But not so much at schools the size of SLU. It isn't necessary. Marquette is similar size, not a big greek life and they had top 10 attendance Nationally last year with well over 4000 student season tix for years.

Maybe this is what the Athletic Department can do to get student support:

Posted Image

2009-10 Grand Prize: A brand-new Chevrolet Camaro!

At the Men's Basketball game vs. Notre Dame on March 6, one very lucky Fanatic will win a brand-new Chevrolet Camaro courtesy Bergstrom Automotive. To be eligible to win, all you have to do is attend at least 12 men's basketball games. You then receive one entry into the raffle for every event -- soccer, volleyball and basketball -- that you have attended this season.

Attention Newbold, Honda of Frontanac, Lou Fusz or one of our auto partners.

Maybe this is what the Athletic Department can do to get student support:

Posted Image

2009-10 Grand Prize: A brand-new Chevrolet Camaro!

At the Men's Basketball game vs. Notre Dame on March 6, one very lucky Fanatic will win a brand-new Chevrolet Camaro courtesy Bergstrom Automotive. To be eligible to win, all you have to do is attend at least 12 men's basketball games. You then receive one entry into the raffle for every event -- soccer, volleyball and basketball -- that you have attended this season.

Attention Newbold, Honda of Frontanac, Lou Fusz or one of our auto partners.

Marquette basketball is a Nelligan sports production. Nelligan sports works with several teams. ISP sports has a long list of high profile teams as well.

SLU should have an outsourced professional agency handle marketing, promotions, game production, as well as an expanded staff with more bodies and resources in the athletic dept.

SLU to this point thinks simply building a an expensive new Arena is all that's needed and that isn't the case.

-stream of thoughts, i hope

-if it takes giving away a car to get students to the game, not sure that is worth it

-i don't care what the ushers wear

-what the ushers do and what their marching orders are, however, i am interested in that

-i was disappointed with the overall attendance saturday night

-we all saw the ticket policy for this game and i sure don't recall any pre-game discussion about it, and we have had many discussions about ways to get more folks in the bldg

-now, this policy worked in some ways and horribly failed in others

-PREZ, it is damn good to have you back, don't be a stranger and somehow i hope to see your name on the ath dept roster soon!!

-imo there are only 3 people that can impact this situation, and in no particular order - rick,dr chaifetz, Fr B, and by impact i mean create a position for Prez so this situation never happens in the future (i don't recall seeing Fr B at the game, anyone?? would be interested to hear his reaction)

-this is exactly what rick talks about when his says he has to help create a bball culture at slu

-god i hope we did not have any recruits at the game

-i don't know the answer, but i think this is not an overnight cure and i will submit that i believe the ath dept putting Prez in a position to work on this would be a giant step forward in solving the problem, i hope they are smart enough to do it

-for those going to the Christmas party tues i suggest instead of bitching to may or others to instead use the opportunity to say saturday was an embarrass,emt and chris you know of an alum with passion and ideas to go along way to making sure this never happens again, what are going to do mr ath director with this opportunity?

Marquette basketball is a Nelligan sports production. Nelligan sports works with several teams. ISP sports has a long list of high profile teams as well.

SLU should have an outsourced professional agency handle marketing, promotions, game production, as well as an expanded staff with more bodies and resources in the athletic dept.

SLU to this point thinks simply building a an expensive new Arena is all that's needed and that isn't the case.

Well I would think it would be time to bring in either Nelligan, Learfield or ISP for the job because no one in the AD can handle it.

Hopefully, new guy, Tom Kieth can recognize this, since he came from a Nelligan school, Louisville.

-if it takes giving away a car to get students to the game, not sure that is worth it

-what the ushers do and what their marching orders are, however, i am interested in that

-we all saw the ticket policy for this game and i sure don't recall any pre-game discussion about it, and we have had many discussions about ways to get more folks in the bldg

-PREZ, it is damn good to have you back, don't be a stranger and somehow i hope to see your name on the ath dept roster soon!!

-imo there are only 3 people that can impact this situation, and in no particular order - rick,dr chaifetz, Fr B, and by impact i mean create a position for Prez so this situation never happens in the future (i don't recall seeing Fr B at the game, anyone?? would be interested to hear his reaction)

-this is exactly what rick talks about when his says he has to help create a bball culture at slu

-i don't know the answer, but i think this is not an overnight cure and i will submit that i believe the ath dept putting Prez in a position to work on this would be a giant step forward in solving the problem, i hope they are smart enough to do it

-for those going to the Christmas party tues i suggest instead of bitching to may or others to instead use the opportunity to say saturday was an embarrass,emt and chris you know of an alum with passion and ideas to go along way to making sure this never happens again, what are going to do mr ath director with this opportunity?

Father Biondi was at the game.

Well I would think it would be time to bring in either Nelligan, Learfield or ISP for the job because no one in the AD can handle it.

Hopefully, new guy, Tom Kieth can recognize this, since he came from a Nelligan school, Louisville.

SLU needs a different culture. Fr. Biondi has publicly said repeatedly that now SLU has an Arena he's done his part, no excuses anymore, or get off his back, etc..as if that's it. He doesn't get it. Take the same example mentioned, Fr. Wild at Marquette is a fan, and is all about positive cooperation, building relationships,...what do you need to be better and we'll go do it, we'll go get it for you. Leahy at BC, etc..That's the culture that is needed.

Now, I have gone from embarrassed for my school to really pissed thinking about a prized recruit seeing this whole debacle!!! Tell me any recruit seeing this disaster would even return Majerus' calls again.

For my own sanity, I am skipping Tuesday night which will be a first for me in about 17 years. I just don't want to listen to a bunch of UMKC fans sitting two feet behind me yammering for two hours nor do I want to look at an empty student section (I would be shocked if UMKC brought many if any students to the game to invade our student section and Lord knows our own students have better things to do).

After reading 6 pages of posts I thought I'd chime in.

1. Most schools (big basketball schools with exception duke) rarely have their large/loud sections during exams and breaks unless there are local kids in the stands.

2. SLU as we have mentioned lacks a fan base for almost any sport. Volleyball is ranked, and I bet more people outside the school went to the games then inside the school. Soccer in the past as it's been shown was top 10 in the nation every year in attendance. Baseball won 30 games last year, 2nd all time and is on the uprise and you could count the # of fans in the stands on your fingers!

3. For basketball, I blame the schedule to be honest. I am sure I am going to catch a lot of heat from this but lets be honest here, we haven't hosted 1 big time team in this 82$ million dollar arena! Besides Boston College who is a middle of the road ACC team if that. I know its hard because it would cost a lot for them to get a team in here, but honestly who the hell is gonna get excited for UMKC and the rest of the teams they played? If I was a student I'd rather watch the game on my T.V. than walk over to the arena and watch that poor competition. Until you have established a great team, fans aren't going to come to the game to watch bad competition, it's just facts.

4. I think everyone needs to calm down also when attacking students for not coming to the game, unless you live around the corner it's vacation ya'll, time to get away and relax!!!

5. I think SLU has done a good job in the past 3-4 years to get their name on the map, however in order to take it to the next level they need to do a lot more. They not only need to improve their marketing aspect but they also need to get more money poured in for booster on all levels. We have the arena and the soccer field, now you need to upgrade the other stuff. People like stadiums that have things, this starts with the Softball field and the Baseball field that stick out like sore thumbs. Baseball has improved a bit but nowhere near where it should be. And softball, has long ways to go.

In the end,

Don't panic hopefully it's just the beginning of vast improvements and hopefully the fan base shows improvements.

Don't panic hopefully it's just the beginning of vast improvements and hopefully the fan base shows improvements.

As my Grandma always used to say... wish in one hand, $h!t in the other.

Posted Image

Piss on "hope", things need to change, ASAP. The situation Saturday was a disgrace. Even if we'd won, I'd still be incensed. We let another team's fans come into our place and walk all over us. No two ways about it. :angry:

Student tickets should be free and the other team's fans should get seats in the parking lot.

Then have the students get in free...But I would put a a crap load of money if we play a team from a different part of the country those fans wouldn't be there...The fact that you schedule two schools that in a close proximity to each other doesn't help you when your on a freakin CHRISTMAS BREAK

Then have the students get in free...But I would put a a crap load of money if we play a team from a different part of the country those fans wouldn't be there...The fact that you schedule two schools that in a close proximity to each other doesn't help you when your on a freakin CHRISTMAS BREAK

I blew off probably a dozen friends I hadn't seen in years to be at that game. Granted, I was w/ good friends anyways, but there was never a moment's hesitation.

I got in on Thursday night and didn't even see my own mother until Sunday afternoon. Had other commitments of course, but mostly had to recover from drinking and yelling at the Bills game all night.

Priorities.

Going to the game shouldn't feel like "work" and if it does to our students then so be it, but that's pretty sad. I love those games. God forbid all the rich kids take their parents' SUVs, load em up with their rich kid friends and make the daring pilgrimage in from the suburbs to the nicest arena in the midwest for boozing and Willie Reed dunks all night. The horror!

Oh, and I found a pic of the student section from the Bears board. They're proud of dominating our student section and they should be. Because on Sat night, we, the fans... were a bunch of gotdamn ASSHATS.

Hope everyone in the AD is proud of this pic, too.

Posted Image

actually i think a lot do show, they are just too cool to sit with the bluecrew and act like the student fans they should be. their loss. they will never get another chance to experience that unbridled passion and freedom to be a student fan. they will always be able to sit back and sip a beer like us oldsters.

I've been trying not to chime in on this because I couldn't make the game. I have attended Volleyball games, ladies basketball, and of course mens basketball and soccer games. I'm not a SLU alum. At any event I attend there have never been more than a few students save the "special games" like the 1 soccer game a year the dorms or something are required to come out. (and in that game as soon as the awards are announced at halftime they ALL leave)

One gripe I've always had is with the atmosphere of the crowd at the mens basketball games. For the majority of the game it's quiet. Many times we can't even get people up during the end of very close games. I'm not making excuses for the students or the school. I tivo'd the game and mentioned how the hell come the Mo St. fans are in our student section. What I'm commenting on is the noise level. If I closed my eyes, and just listened, I'd have thought it was an away game. Mo St. fans made as much noise as our fans. How many SLU fans? How many Mo St. fans? Why aren't we just so damn loud we drown them out? WE, the normal fans count can't on the student section to be rowdy and make noise. We have to get it going. The arena should be consumed with SLU cheers from player introductions until the final buzzer. Instead of blaming the students, blame us. I'm not 50% as loud as I used to be. I've gone from yelling S-L-U or defense or something every minute of the game to probably yelling only when something good happens or the refs miss a call. Why? I got tired of being the only one in my area yelling and getting looked at disgustedly by other fans. We have to create our own atmosphere, and until our season ticket holders get on board, it's not happenning.

you are lucky billikan. back in my day (77-82) there was no need to save seats. there was about 5 of us sitting in the student section every game. (thank you ron ekker) but we were 5 crazed lunatics.

1. Most schools (big basketball schools with exception duke) rarely have their large/loud sections during exams and breaks unless there are local kids in the stands.

2. SLU as we have mentioned lacks a fan base for almost any sport. Volleyball is ranked, and I bet more people outside the school went to the games then inside the school. Soccer in the past as it's been shown was top 10 in the nation every year in attendance. Baseball won 30 games last year, 2nd all time and is on the uprise and you could count the # of fans in the stands on your fingers!

3. For basketball, I blame the schedule to be honest. I am sure I am going to catch a lot of heat from this but lets be honest here, we haven't hosted 1 big time team in this 82$ million dollar arena! Besides Boston College who is a middle of the road ACC team if that. I know its hard because it would cost a lot for them to get a team in here, but honestly who the hell is gonna get excited for UMKC and the rest of the teams they played? If I was a student I'd rather watch the game on my T.V. than walk over to the arena and watch that poor competition. Until you have established a great team, fans aren't going to come to the game to watch bad competition, it's just facts.

4. I think everyone needs to calm down also when attacking students for not coming to the game, unless you live around the corner it's vacation ya'll, time to get away and relax!!!

5. I think SLU has done a good job in the past 3-4 years to get their name on the map, however in order to take it to the next level they need to do a lot more. They not only need to improve their marketing aspect but they also need to get more money poured in for booster on all levels. We have the arena and the soccer field, now you need to upgrade the other stuff. People like stadiums that have things, this starts with the Softball field and the Baseball field that stick out like sore thumbs. Baseball has improved a bit but nowhere near where it should be. And softball, has long ways to go.

In the end,

if you are the example of our typical student, no wonder our student section is f'd up. thanks for the insight. you should be ashamed.

In the end,

It doesn't matter we have a large chunk of students from St. Louis. If they can't F#$%(# drive 20-30 minutes thats pathetic! What else are they going to do? Pre-read their text books for next semester? Don't give me this break crap. We should at least had 50 solid students there.

Also,

It amazed me when I went up to several students that were at the top of the student section and asked them to come help cheer and their response? I just want to watch the game. Have you no pride????

It doesn't matter we have a large chunk of students from St. Louis. If they can't F#$%(# drive 20-30 minutes thats pathetic! What else are they going to do? Pre-read their text books for next semester? Don't give me this break crap. We should at least had 50 solid students there.

Also,

It amazed me when I went up to several students that were at the top of the student section and asked them to come help cheer and their response? I just want to watch the game. Have you no pride????

I ran around asking multiple people wearing blue in the student section to come down to the front, and all of them said something like, "Oh, i'm waiting for someone else to get here..." or "Oh, I'm fine."

I talked to a few MO State kids, and they said that they road tripped for the game. Tickets should be free for students...like at Dayton. I'm sorry, but you cannot charge kids to go see a team that they don't know or care about. It's cuts the income down a bit, but it's a long-term strategy. Get the section so packed that you HAVE to charge students. Ridiculous.

In my experience Nationally, frats are the outcasts at schools similar to SLU and the size of SLU. That's for the big state schools to help meet people in a 50k environment. But not so much at schools the size of SLU. It isn't necessary. Marquette is similar size, not a big greek life and they had top 10 attendance Nationally last year with well over 4000 student season tix for years.

Depends on the school. At Northwestern and Vanderbilt, schools similar in size to SLU, the Greek system is extremely strong. At Westminster in Fulton, which only has about 1,000 students, the vast majority of the student body is Greek. The strength of a school's Greek system really depends on how deeply rooted it is in the school's culture. At a school like SLU, which didn't really have many national fraternities and sororities until the 70s and 80s, it's certainly not as strong as at other schools, but Greeks certainly aren't "outcasts" by any stretch of the imagination.