Enough with the contrived player introductions

Duff Man

This concept was played out 10 odd years ago whenever SLU started doing it. It actually discourages me from cheering because it's so incredibly lame.

The Billikens are not an indoor soccer team, nor are they the World Champion Chicago Bulls (insert Kyle Cassity joke here) .

Leave the lights on, let the band do their thing, and introduce the players like we always used to.

This concept was played out 10 odd years ago whenever SLU started doing it. It actually discourages me from cheering because it's so incredibly lame.

The Billikens are not an indoor soccer team, nor are they the World Champion Chicago Bulls (insert Kyle Cassity joke here) .

Leave the lights on, let the band do their thing, and introduce the players like we always used to.

Big Rick finally got internet ^.

In all seriousness I like the player intros. It helps get the student section and the entire crowd amped up or at least ready for the game.

Big Rick finally got internet ^.

In all seriousness I like the player intros. It helps get the student section and the entire crowd amped up or at least ready for the game.

What exactly are we clinging to here? From my seat there is not some insane kinetic buzz flowing through the crowd between the intros and the tip off. It is my opinion that the over-the-top intros do more harm than good. I'm 28 and I think they are silly. I can only imagine what the more *ahem* mature fans think...

I'm fairly confident the student section would still manage to get psyched up without such theatrics. The band is the real engine behind the crowd, anyways.

i'd actually like to see them ramp it up even more. the more outrageous and loud and garrish would only serve to give the billikens another homecourt edge imo. i think it starts out good with the lights out and the panning spotlight, but then it just dies suddenly. it really should build even more and maybe climax with the announcement of rickma as the head coach or something. but no way this should be lightened up imo. again, the more the arena is lit up, the better chance the entire crowd begins to get into it as well. this is what will create the real "sixth man" scenario.

btw, how about guy phillips introducing the national anthem by saying it will be "sung" by the billiken pep band? come on guy cant you at least get that right?

What exactly are we clinging to here? From my seat there is not some insane kinetic buzz flowing through the crowd between the intros and the tip off. It is my opinion that the over-the-top intros do more harm than good. I'm 28 and I think they are silly. I can only imagine what the more *ahem* mature fans think...

I'm fairly confident the student section would still manage to get psyched up without such theatrics. The band is the real engine behind the crowd, anyways.

I'm not sure if the loud music hurts the *ahem* old fans but it definitely pumps up the students and I'm sure it does the same for the players. I also agree that it should be ramped up a little more. the music could be louder and I think we need a better song, something a little more unique maybe. The band has its time to pump everyone up throughout the entire game so the intros is where we need some bass bumping through the room. the loud intro is such a big part of being at home.

i'd actually like to see them ramp it up even more. the more outrageous and loud and garrish would only serve to give the billikens another homecourt edge imo. i think it starts out good with the lights out and the panning spotlight, but then it just dies suddenly. it really should build even more and maybe climax with the announcement of rickma as the head coach or something. but no way this should be lightened up imo. again, the more the arena is lit up, the better chance the entire crowd begins to get into it as well. this is what will create the real "sixth man" scenario.

Are you serious? You used climax and rickma in the same sentence, so there's at least a small chance this was meant to be funny/ironic. Although I guess almost anything would be an improvement over climaxing with KC (not trying to pick on the kid - just being real about it - everyone knows KM should be the last starter introduced).

This is a basketball game, not one of GOB's magic shows. The average SLU season ticketholder has been going to games for decades. They are not going to be brainwashed into cheering harder by some pregame light show. Home court advantage is not something than can be synthetically engineered. When the team is playing well and the games start to matter, the crowds are infinitely better.

This is a basketball game, not one of GOB's magic shows. The average SLU season ticketholder has been going to games for decades. They are not going to be brainwashed into cheering harder by some pregame light show. Home court advantage is not something than can be synthetically engineered. When the team is playing well and the games start to matter, the crowds are infinitely better.

i would disagree. anything to make it more of a show is only going to excite most anyone. those that want to sleep can just wear earplugs and close their eyes.

i would disagree. anything to make it more of a show is only going to excite most anyone. those that want to sleep can just wear earplugs and close their eyes.

anything to make it more of a show is only going to excite most anyone the kids. those that want to sleep watch basketball can just wear earplugs and close roll their eyes.

/fixed

anything to make it more of a show is only going to excite most anyone the kids. those that want to sleep watch basketball can just wear earplugs and close roll their eyes.

/fixed

the day i am not a "kid" about the billikens is the day they bury me. the rest of you might as well head out to the cemetary now.

I'm also going to have to agree with Roy on this one. People like that stuff. The players really like it.

The only reason "we always used to" do intros with the lights on is because Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade charged an extra $300 to turn the house lights off and back on.

I'm also going to have to agree with Roy on this one. People like that stuff. The players really like it.

The only reason "we always used to" do intros with the lights on is because Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade charged an extra $300 to turn the house lights off and back on.

I agree. It gets me pumped up and it is great with a packed house.

Why the debate if Billiken fans are not even present for the introductions?? :lol: Don't SLU fans leave early to make-up for being late?

No. Waiting around for the team to win is not what we should do. That attitude is wrong from a public relations/marketing aspect as well as game experience aspect. Substance is always preferred over style but style still is needed. As long as SLU doesn't go overboard too much, why not have some fun. Turn off the lights, play music, use video & spot lights, etc. If the players love it, then great. If the players are embarrassed by it because it is "too much", then tone it down. Along these lines, my daughter and her kindergarten soccer team LOVED playing her final game last night under the lights. She was still excited and it was the big story during carpool.

To the 40 students who showed up and to the handful of guys who want Chaveitz to be younger, exciting atmosphere, go ahead. Get your friends, start yelling more and eventually take over the old-timers. Until then, and even then, feel free to wake the sleeping old-timers and tell them "Thank you" for keeping the program D1 and afloat until then and for paying for the Chaveitz.

Are you serious? You used climax and rickma in the same sentence, so there's at least a small chance this was meant to be funny/ironic. Although I guess almost anything would be an improvement over climaxing with KC (not trying to pick on the kid - just being real about it - everyone knows KM should be the last starter introduced).

I have always wondered why Kwamain isn't the last one introduced. He's our best player. Willie Reed would even suffice as i'd say he our most exciting. But Kwamain lead in points and is tied for the lead in assists and dominating in steals.

I have always wondered why Kwamain isn't the last one introduced. He's our best player. Willie Reed would even suffice as i'd say he our most exciting. But Kwamain lead in points and is tied for the lead in assists and dominating in steals.

Who decides this anyway...It has to be the head coach, right?

I can see it being a motivational thing with KM and especially WR to keep them from settling in like they're established stars or whatever. Eckerle (if healthy) would make sense as the only upperclassman. KC is just weird - like it's being done to boost his ego so he plays with more confidence. Whatever works!

I guess I'm in the minority on the intros. Let me be clear I'm not against them doing something loud and fun - I just think what they currently do is extremely derivative/lame and would prefer something more original/unique/inspirational - maybe have some kind of montage intro that incorporates previous Billikens legends, great moments, etc...

That would get the long-time season ticket holders excited in a way that metal and hip-hop never will...

I can see it being a motivational thing with KM and especially WR to keep them from settling in like they're established stars or whatever. Eckerle (if healthy) would make sense as the only upperclassman. KC is just weird - like it's being done to boost his ego so he plays with more confidence. Whatever works!

I guess I'm in the minority on the intros. Let me be clear I'm not against them doing something loud and fun - I just think what they currently do is extremely derivative/lame and would prefer something more original/unique/inspirational - maybe have some kind of montage intro that incorporates previous Billikens legends, great moments, etc...

That would get the long-time season ticket holders excited in a way that metal and hip-hop never will...

Bring Back The Fireworks!!!

I can't imagine Majerus cares even a little bit about the intro order. The Athletic Department's marketing and events people put those things together, maybe working with or running things by the building management and event coordinator.

I also wouldn't mind them going for something more original with the intros; I just wouldn't want them to tone it down.

One recent season (2003-2004 or 2004-2005), the highlight video right before the player intros was set to Eminem's "Lose Yourself" for the first game, and then someone complained to the AD because they were offended by that choice. This ignores the fact that the only swearing in that song is in the last verse, and only the first verse was used- and I gotta admit, the song has a crowd pleasing hook and beat and fits the inspirational bill, even if it's about rap battles. The players actually complained after the next game when it wasn't used.