OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

Saint Louis University is selling 89+ million dollars worth of tax free bonds to fund a new Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building- infrastructure improvements of the north campus and various campus improvements. Bonds are rated A1/AA. Not a bad credit rating. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a rumor running around SLU that the Spring Street lofts is considering entering into a cooperative lease agreement with SLU, and The Library Annex would be closing as a result. Seems SLU has it out for the MidTown bar scene. Hump's, Diablito's, Lannex, Laclede's. 

Incredible if true.

7 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

There is a rumor running around SLU that the Spring Street lofts is considering entering into a cooperative lease agreement with SLU, and The Library Annex would be closing as a result. Seems SLU has it out for the MidTown bar scene. Hump's, Diablito's, Lannex, Laclede's. 

Just now, gobillsgo said:

Did uber deliver the killing blow to the slu bar scene?  Much easier for kids to go out in Soulard, the Grove, Downtown, etc. 

Nothing to do with Uber(though it doesn't help). Bars could survive in the area, but I think SLU makes life very hard for local bar owners

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Did uber deliver the killing blow to the slu bar scene?  Much easier for kids to go out in Soulard, the Grove, Downtown, etc. 

that may not have helped but I Gotta think SLU killed the SLU bar scene.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Is that where students go these days? 

Are there any SLU bars?

On your typical Saturday where do most students go? 

(Not asking so I can show up and be a creep just curious)

3 hours ago, JGR6396 said:

I sure hope lannex isn't closing. While you'd start the night elsewhere in the city, it was the one bar where everyone would end up at once Humps closed down. 

24 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Are there any SLU bars?

Lannex is probably the last SLU bar, but more of an end of night place. Soulard was where we'd go most nights last year as well as a couple places downtown like Wheelhouse and Tin Roof. 

JGR6396 likes this

23 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Are there any SLU bars?

*As a recent Grad* To start the night we primarily went outside of MidTown to places like Soulard. However, at 12:38am(and not a minute sooner) Lannex is where everyone goes. Including the MBB team when they are in town. It is(was?) one of the few spots left for billikens to go near campus. 

4 hours ago, JGR6396 said:

And the worst part is that SLU thinks it is doing a great service for its student body by closing up all of the bars/social gathering spots around campus. In reality, it is killing the school's social fabric. While students can certainly go to Soulard or the CWE or Wash Ave, there's no particular place devoted to the SLU community that people on campus could walk to to meet up and hang out during the week. Humphrey's was always the go-to if you just wanted to hang out with your peers. Now there's nothing like that around campus within walking distance. Sure, Narwhal's is nice, but it's not exactly the kind of place students would go to get drunk together on cheap beer. 

Classic SLU shooting itself in the foot. Hopefully the Foundry has plenty of cheap bars and hangout spots targeted towards students. 

3 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

And the worst part is that SLU thinks it is doing a great service for its student body by closing up all of the bars/social gathering spots around campus. In reality, it is killing the school's social fabric. While students can certainly go to Soulard or the CWE or Wash Ave, there's no particular place devoted to the SLU community that people on campus could walk to to meet up and hang out during the week. Humphrey's was always the go-to if you just wanted to hang out with your peers. Now there's nothing like that around campus within walking distance. Sure, Narwhal's is nice, but it's not exactly the kind of place students would go to get drunk together on cheap beer. 

Classic SLU shooting itself in the foot. Hopefully the Foundry has plenty of cheap bars and hangout spots targeted towards students. 

I wouldn’t count on it based on the advertised lease rates 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

agreed, it may become a pricey joint(s)

My company is putting a store in the Foundry.  Its been really hyped up but having been a part of the development there I just don't see it working.  There are no complementary businesses.  It is a full service moviehouse, and dozens of eating establishments along with a grocery store.  I could see the moviehouse and the grocery store being the only parts that could be successful.  

15 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

And the worst part is that SLU thinks it is doing a great service for its student body by closing up all of the bars/social gathering spots around campus. In reality, it is killing the school's social fabric. While students can certainly go to Soulard or the CWE or Wash Ave, there's no particular place devoted to the SLU community that people on campus could walk to to meet up and hang out during the week. Humphrey's was always the go-to if you just wanted to hang out with your peers. Now there's nothing like that around campus within walking distance.

Great post. I was hopeful that the strategy was just Biondi trying to buy up all things around the campus, but it appears it is continuing under Weak Fred. 

No bars around campus just means more of the student body is driving around St. Louis drunk. It doesn't curb any sort of drinking activities. And, as you said, it lessens the community feeling. A lot of my favorite memories from SLU were set at Humphrey's, Laclede Street, or the various iterations of Freddy's. Nights in Soulard were fun, but it didn't have the same feel. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Great post. I was hopeful that the strategy was just Biondi trying to buy up all things around the campus, but it appears it is continuing under Weak Fred. 

No bars around campus just means more of the student body is driving around St. Louis drunk. It doesn't curb any sort of drinking activities. And, as you said, it lessens the community feeling. A lot of my favorite memories from SLU were set at Humphrey's, Laclede Street, or the various iterations of Freddy's. Nights in Soulard were fun, but it didn't have the same feel. 

Weak Fred indeed!

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

I love this take. The loss of humps is not just a huge cultural loss, but a citywide health and safety issue! We need to get the soccer moms on this one.