OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

No but there is more to it than just a physical location and you know it.  No one in Fenton, or Chesterfield, or Hanley Hills, or Florissant or Valley Park would ever vote to be forced to go hit in hand to the super mayor in the City as opposed to the local mayor who coached their kid's soccer team.  It is immoral in my opinion to force them to do so. 

No I don't get it - this Super Mayor you keep talking about is elected from Fenton and Florissant so why would they not want to be responsive to them.  Honestly, very few people in any of the cities you mentioned have probably even personally met their mayor much less have their kids coached by them - we are not Mayberry.  What is immoral is the continued deterioration of our region.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Centralized government is bad by definition if you have more faith in the power of smaller disconnected groups. Ultimately it's a religious argument. Who can argue with a man's religion?

Call it religion or first principles or local democracy.  A rose by any other name.....

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

No I don't get it - this Super Mayor you keep talking about is elected from Fenton and Florissant so why would they not want to be responsive to them.  Honestly, very few people in any of the cities you mentioned have probably even personally met their mayor much less have their kids coached by them - we are not Mayberry.  What is immoral is the continued deterioration of our region.  

Just because you don't know your mayor and council doesn't mean that is the norm in this region.  Smaller government is better and more responsive to us little people......

1 minute ago, willie said:

I know all of mine and that's one small reason I support all consolidation. They can be very combative. 

That's interesting.  My wife used to cover board meetings for the Post as a freelancer.  Kirkwood, Valley Park, and, Fenton were pretty well run according to her.  Crestwood, trying to get the hole in the ground that Crestwood Mall became was pretty dysfunctional.  The point is though, that Crestwood should be the government that decides what goes on in Crestwood not the regional development planner who was  elected by the whole region........

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Attracting more Fortune 500 companies to the area would increase the net worth of the educated folk in your municipality. Money is power.

We should be able to cooperate more in that regard.  That is true. 

By the way, when the super mayor wants to steal your house through eminent domain for a great regional project and you have no local government to talk to, don't come running to me.... 

16 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Just because you don't know your mayor and council doesn't mean that is the norm in this region.  Smaller government is better and more responsive to us little people......

In fact I do know my mayor - even the knew the 3 previous ones - what I said that most do not.  

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

We should be able to cooperate more in that regard.  That is true. 

By the way, when the super mayor wants to steal your house through eminent domain for a great regional project and you have no local government to talk to, don't come running to me.... 

Your local mayor can do this right now as can the current County Supervisor.

Littlebill likes this

I’m just afraid that one of the biggest goals of this plan is to force the city to sell the airport and its water division.  The water division especially.  That is a priceless assest going forward and if any plan goes through it should be a public entity shared by all in the city/county/whatever. It can produce almost three times as much water that present demand requires.  It’s infrastructure is solid and provides cheap water at a low actual cost.

Pistol, JMM28 and Zink like this

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

You've just described the annexation of the county by the city.  I don't understand how we can be one city for population and crime stats and than just keep our schools and local governments separate.......

Marion County (Indianapolis) still has 14 different school districts after their merger.

4 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

The Fields of Chester is threatening to secede from the county. Think they'll change their minds after the next flood ? GUFFAW

https://fox2now.com/2019/01/29/in-wake-of-better-together-plan-chesterfield-leadership-ponders-going-from-city-to-county/

Hilarious. Those chesterfield city council members are desperate to keep their jobs. Would be even more hilarious to see them get flooded a couple years out and not have any support from the rest of the region. 

8 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

The Fields of Chester is threatening to secede from the county. Think they'll change their minds after the next flood ? GUFFAW

https://fox2now.com/2019/01/29/in-wake-of-better-together-plan-chesterfield-leadership-ponders-going-from-city-to-county/

Hey trollkin......you might want to look at the entity that provides flood insurance........it isn't the county.........

Now Chesterfield Fire/Rescue might need some help for sure.... 

29 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Let’s just get rid of all current city and county governments. Just break it down to neighborhoods and create a bunch of HOAs to run everything.  Those function perfectly.

rgbilliken likes this

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Let’s just get rid of all current city and county governments. Just break it down to neighborhoods and create a bunch of HOAs to run everything.  Those function perfectly.

Yeah you can go too small.......not really into neighborhood militias either

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Unfortunately, I think that a merger wouldn't solve this.  City's are ranked using their crime statistics regardless of what county they are in.  A merger would only put the City of St. Louis into St. Louis County.  It wouldn't eliminate its status as a municipality. Much like Kansas City is in Jackson County, St. Louis City would be in St. Louis County, but it's borders as a city would still exist as would the same crime rates.

I believe under Better Together's plan, St. Louis city and county would become a metro city of 1.3 million, which would drop St. Louis out of the top 50 in crime.

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I believe under Better Together's plan, St. Louis city and county would become a metro city of 1.3 million, which would drop St. Louis out of the top 50 in crime.

Ya I know it for sure drops us from the top 10 ranking, which is prettty significant news even if we land at #11