OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Totally.  Craft beer is expensive, and college kids need cheap beer options.

I’ve been to 314 The City Bar on wash ave a handful of times now. Went last night before the game. Easily the cheapest happy hour I’ve seen around here. Got out of there for under 20 bucks for two people(apps and beers) Place would clean up by SLU, especially during basketball season. Hinted to the owner he should make the move. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’ve been to 314 The City Bar on wash ave a handful of times now. Went last night before the game. Easily the cheapest happy hour I’ve seen around here. Got out of there for under 20 bucks for two people(apps and beers) Place would clean up by SLU, especially during basketball season. Hinted to the owner he should make the move. 

That's a great little bar.  The food is pretty good and the people are nice.

19 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Totally.  Craft beer is expensive, and college kids need cheap beer options.

Even more than a sports bar, it needs something to replace 20 North.  How can you have a campus completely devoid of any bars around it where where smaller acts or bands that are just starting out can play.

18 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

gotta park on vandeventer and take a scooter in .....

If we're counting near the grove, the new rockwell beer co place on Vandeventer is open and interesting and has parking out the ass.

How was it, I am looking forward to giving it a try. I went to Wellspent a few weeks ago after the brewery lights thing and was not a huge fan, but it was a cold night and we were two of four customers (I will give it another chance when it is likely to have more of a crowd).

I think my favorite place to go before games for a bite to eat is Retreat which someone mentioned above.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm glad the area around SLU is booming and I enjoy a craft brewery as much as the next guy but Midtown/SLU is desperately in need of classic college/sports bars to fill Humphrey's and Laclede's vacancies.

Agreed. Should we pool our money and make this happen?

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm glad the area around SLU is booming and I enjoy a craft brewery as much as the next guy but Midtown/SLU is desperately in need of classic college/sports bars to fill Humphrey's and Laclede's vacancies.

This.

While waiting for a table at field house last night I told my wife I needed to open up a sports bar around campus.

she told me I wasn’t allowed to open up a sports bar.

This morning I filed for divorce.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

How was it, I am looking forward to giving it a try. I went to Wellspent a few weeks ago after the brewery lights thing and was not a big fan, but it was a cold night and we were two of four customers.

I think my favorite place to go before games for a bite to eat is Retreat which someone mentioned above.

Still pretty fresh.   Not too many Rockwell beers as they are still brewing them up.  Food is not bad although pretty limited at present too.  Cool place though.....

14 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Still pretty fresh.   Not too many Rockwell beers as they are still brewing them up.  Food is not bad although pretty limited at present too.  Cool place though.....

I really like the space.  Frankly, I love the food and menu size.  I don't really need an extensive menu at a brewery.  The burgers and fries are really good - not as good as Mac's but still very good.

I like their beers - more so than a couple other breweries that have opened recently.  I had 3 of the 4 Rockwell beers they had on tap when I was there.  I really liked 2 of them, the third was blah. Excited to see them grow the beer list and the patio looks incredible for the summer.

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

For those looking to avoid capital gains taxes, Humphrey's is now in an Opportunity Zone.  Set up a fund. 

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/sldc/real-estate/lra-opportunity-zone.cfm

Humphreys is an opportunity zone? That is interesting. Always was a good opportunity zone when I was at SLU..heyo. 

It is unfortunate that the dbag who bought it will probably wind up making a pretty penny too.

Hopefully this would speed up any sort of development that might take place on that corner because, if I understand correctly, 2019 is the year that you capitalize on this 100% and it goes down from there? 

Box and Won and Littlebill like this

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, brianstl said:

It sounds like Sqaure is planning to move out of Cortex and is moving downtown into the Post Dispatch building. A big get for downtown.

Sounds good. Is that because Cortex is for startups?  Square needs to move on to free up space for the next startup?  Wonder how many employees work for square ?

8 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sounds good. Is that because Cortex is for startups?  Square needs to move on to free up space for the next startup?  Wonder how many employees work for square ?

I don't know if that's just rumor. The last I heard, the companies currently in the same building as Square now, are planned to move out and Square take over the entire building. 

25 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I don't know if that's just rumor. The last I heard, the companies currently in the same building as Square now, are planned to move out and Square take over the entire building. 

Dorsey has said he wants Square to have a presence downtown. McKelvey, Dorsey partner in Square, bought the Post-Dispatch building downtown a month after that and later another smaller building. The Post just announced it is moving to Mckelvey’s smaller building. McKelvey isn’t emptying out the Post building without a tenant lined up for it after renovation.

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Dorsey has said he wants Square to have a presence downtown. McKelvey, Dorsey partner in Square, bought the Post-Dispatch building downtown a month after that and later another smaller building. The Post just announced it is moving to Mckelvey’s smaller building. McKelvey isn’t emptying out the Post building without a tenant lined up for it after renovation.

Maybe their lease for all the floors, in their current cortex building, will be a short one, while the old post building is being renovated.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:01 AM, SShoe said:

For those looking to avoid capital gains taxes, Humphrey's is now in an Opportunity Zone.  Set up a fund. 

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/sldc/real-estate/lra-opportunity-zone.cfm

People are going nuts over the Opportunity Zones. I'm a bit skeptical. The OZ conference in New Orleans this past fall was insane....over 800 attendees. For reference, a typical Novogradac-type conference (NMTC, HTC, LIHTC) produces around 200 attendees.

My bro-in-law works for Square and he mentioned a few months back about possibly moving downtown but he hasn't heard anything since. Although as Brian mentioned, you don't just clear out your anchor tenant unless you have someone lined up to move in.

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

People are going nuts over the Opportunity Zones. I'm a bit skeptical. The OZ conference in New Orleans this past fall was insane....over 800 attendees. For reference, a typical Novogradac-type conference (NMTC, HTC, LIHTC) produces around 200 attendees.

And the oz hearing was postponed due to shutdown. Time is ticking 

19 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Me too.

41 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

My bro-in-law works for Square and he mentioned a few months back about possibly moving downtown but he hasn't heard anything since. Although as Brian mentioned, you don't just clear out your anchor tenant unless you have someone lined up to move in.

There is no legitimate reason for Cortex and the Grove to be Opportunity Zones.

14 hours ago, brianstl said:

I’ve heard the same, that Square will be eventually move into the PD building on Tucker thought they may keep some of the space in CORTEX.  They mainly have support jobs in STL now but there is apparently a push to place some developers positions here.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

There is no legitimate reason for Cortex and the Grove to be Opportunity Zones.

Not anymore no.

Then again Centene’s new HQ in Clayton is on “blighted” land.

Real estate is such a con game.

brianstl likes this