OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how this works now about getting a liquor license in the City but years ago there was a finite number of licenses given out and unless you bought one from someone who had a license you were SOL.  Now buying the license did not mean that you were automatically approved you still had to go through that process.  All those little corner bars like when you would see all four corners of an intersection with 4 bars were a result of people getting a license and they had to stay open until they decided to sell it.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Not sure how this works now about getting a liquor license in the City but years ago there was a finite number of licenses given out and unless you bought one from someone who had a license you were SOL.  Now buying the license did not mean that you were automatically approved you still had to go through that process.  All those little corner bars like when you would see all four corners of an intersection with 4 bars were a result of people getting a license and they had to stay open until they decided to sell it.

I don't think  it's that hard. I know someone who has opened 3 restaurants in the city in the last couple of years without any major problem. 

13 hours ago, Old guy said:

It cannot be predicted when they will get their liquor license and they cannot open without it.

Now I’ve never worked in Restaurant/Bar/Liquor industry, but how can it be true that you truly have no idea when a liquor license will be granted?  How are restaurants and bars supposed to build/renovate and then advertise an opening with zero idea when a liquor license is coming?

One possible reason for the delay is that the Alderwoman for the 17th Ward hasn't been exactly on top of things that she needs to sign off on when it comes to businesses in her ward.  Don't know if that is the hold up on the liquor license or not, but it has been a problem for multiple other things in that ward.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

One possible reason for the delay is that the Alderwoman for the 17th Ward hasn't been exactly on top of things that she needs to sign off on when it comes to businesses in her ward.  Don't know if that is the hold up on the liquor license or not, but it has been a problem for multiple other things in that ward.

Dragging your feet on projects that will bring jobs/people/money to your ward… seems superrrrr smart but unfortunately I’m not surprised. 

edit: not a shot at that particular Alderwoman, I dont even know who she is. More a statement about people in the city not knowing a good thing if it came up and bit them in the face.

AGB91 likes this

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I assume there may be an "expedited review fee."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sounds pretty great - pedestrian bridge connecting The Armory with The Foundry.

A new greenway bridge will go above the east-bound lanes and below the west-bound lanes of I-64/40, bridging through the current barrier created by the interstate to the Grand MetroLink Station and Armory District on the other side, offering easier access for nearby destinations along the way. This portion of the greenway will link into a separate Brickline Greenway project connecting the Grand MetroLink Station to the Cortex MetroLink Station, creating more access and options for residents and visitors alike.

https://greatriversgreenway.org/blog/2024/03/13/rnc/

BG-RNC-Area-map.jpg

5 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Sounds pretty great - pedestrian bridge connecting The Armory with The Foundry.

https://greatriversgreenway.org/blog/2024/03/13/rnc/

BG-RNC-Area-map.jpg

Much needed. Haven't been to Armory yet (probably because i'm not a 25 year-old that wears shin-high socks with tennis shoes) but the Foundry is such an amazing project. Walking through it, you get the sense you're in a proper city. The kids even love it. Took them to Puttshack and then to the food hall. Had a blast. Tons of stuff for all ages. The wife and I are checking out Gerard Craft's new speakeasy, located in the bowels of the Foundry, after dinner next week. None of the Above. As Bart Scott once eloquently stated, "Can't wait!"

sludevil likes this

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Am I crazy or was there a pedestrian bridge at that spot until about 15 years ago that they tore down?

No, you're exactly right.  Spring Avenue used to go over the highway too.

willie likes this

When I got to SLU in ‘94 the Spring connection south had already been demolished.  

The “SLUmor” was that Biondi wanted it closed and the City refused.  But, in the middle of a night a construction crew magically showed up and demolished it.  In the City’s usual expeditious attention to road care, it was never fixed.

5 hours ago, TRN said:

When I got to SLU in ‘94 the Spring connection south had already been demolished.  

The “SLUmor” was that Biondi wanted it closed and the City refused.  But, in the middle of a night a construction crew magically showed up and demolished it.  In the City’s usual expeditious attention to road care, it was never fixed.

I believe this story. I'm wondering if the mayor woke up to a horse head in his bed.