OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

32 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Did Humphrey’s ever open up?  I thought the sign said coming Spring 2022.  Anyone have an update?

I thought I heard its now expected to open in the fall

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Did Humphrey’s ever open up?  I thought the sign said coming Spring 2022.  Anyone have an update?

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Seemingly work is still being done.

Can confirm. Been trying to get in touch with them to do some of that work myself but unrelatedly my roommate is there today as a pipefitter so they're trying, I can confirm that. 

Deutschkind likes this

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Welcome back to the real Jewel of Midtown.

Now I'm just waiting on the return of Library Annex, the Juul of Midtown.

Turning that place into a leasing office was the biggest downgrade for student night life in years, and that includes Humphrey’s closing. Was the late night spot everyone ended at regardless of where you were prior. 

7 hours ago, Band Legend said:

20 North was my jewel of Midtown. 

You know I'm too young to know what that is, but what is that? At least I'm aware of the Billiken Bench Club which is where my parents would go in the late 80s/early 90s.

51 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

You know I'm too young to know what that is, but what is that? At least I'm aware of the Billiken Bench Club which is where my parents would go in the late 80s/early 90s.

20 North was on the corner of Vandeventer and Laclede.  There were a couple businesses there along with the bar.  It was owned by the lead singer of Jake's Leg, a grateful dead cover band, they were the house band.  Biondi wanted that corner to create a huge art museum.  None of the business owners wanted to sell.  Biondi installed a crony into the alderman seat that represented the area and had him along with the mayor get the corner blighted and given to SLU under eminent domain,  even though at the time the building was undergoing a total remodel.  This all happened in the late 90s, so a bit before my time but I believe I got in this bar a couple times when I was 18 or 19.  

Biondi never built his art museum and the corner has just been a field with a fence around it for 20 years.  Jake's Leg opened another bar farther west but it wasn't the same and closed soon after.  Jake's Leg still performs, they have been a bar band for going on 45 years I think.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

20 North was on the corner of Vandeventer and Laclede.  There were a couple businesses there along with the bar.  It was owned by the lead singer of Jake's Leg, a grateful dead cover band, they were the house band.  Biondi wanted that corner to create a huge art museum.  None of the business owners wanted to sell.  Biondi installed a crony into the alderman seat that represented the area and had him along with the mayor get the corner blighted and given to SLU under eminent domain,  even though at the time the building was undergoing a total remodel.  This all happened in the late 90s, so a bit before my time but I believe I got in this bar a couple times when I was 18 or 19.  

Biondi never built his art museum and the corner has just been a field with a fence around it for 20 years.  Jake's Leg opened another bar farther west but it wasn't the same and closed soon after.  Jake's Leg still performs, they have been a bar band for going on 45 years I think.

Randy ended up with a big check, but he didn’t want to sell.  I think he, also, had another bar that was took in eminent domain as part of the new Busch Stadium.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Article written by former SLU Student!

55 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

This had to cost them quite a bit to walk away, and a game hasn’t been played there yet so they got no exposure in return for their money. I guess we’ll see who wants the naming rights for it now.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Centenes really been one a weird one lately 

Centene is a huge company who finally realized that they do not have to have everyone concentrated in a series of locations and buildings but that they can get together electronically with one another to work. Whether this strategy works as they expect it to do or not, they thought it was worthwhile trying to get it to work.