OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, Reinert310 said:

Roy, I agree with @dlarry and consider TopGolf like a more fun driving range with a bar. It’s an expensive driving range where you can keep score. But I go there a lot with my family during the holidays, and it’s the type of thing that my stepmom and sister (who have never played a round of golf in their lives) can still enjoy. There are days where they have “all you can play” play for like $25. But if you’re just looking to hit some balls and work on your swing, TopGolf probably isn’t where you want to go. I enjoy going there with family, but I just consider it kinda separate from playing 18 or even working on my swing at the range.

On the contrary, it is very much a bar with a driving range. Important distinction as the attraction is more to non-golfers or the rather unserious ones (myself included) than it is to guys like @Littlebill who can smack a ball 350 and shoot par on any given day. If you take your own clubs to Top Golf you are a try-hard jackoff. 

That's a good thing, though, because St. Louis benefits far more from an attraction for the masses than it does appealing (or trying to) to a niche group of diehard golfers. We've got Bellerive and Westwood for that. 

54 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I drive past the Chesterfield location M-F and other than at 745AM it is never not hosting good numbers. So many networking, happy hour, charity, and fundraising events held there that I have been a part of or at least been aware of, and I myself have gone multiple times for date night or with friends. 

Any development that can serve as an answer to the damned question "What is there to do in St. Louis?" is good development and this is certainly just that. 

The Chesterfield Top Golf is the busiest/most profitable Top Golf location in the country by basically every measurable metric. There is a reason they have been trying to open a new location in St. Louis for a few years.

51 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Exactly. It’s 100% separate. I take my golf game really seriously (college athlete nbd) and I would never in a million years bring my own sticks to topgolf.

There are horror stories of people shredding their club faces on TopGolf’s balls. I forget what the exact reasoning was, but I believe they use a tougher coating and are slightly denser due to the tracking tech built in. Regardless, I’d never even think about bringing my clubs either. Can’t wreck those beauties. 

2 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

There are horror stories of people shredding their club faces on TopGolf’s balls. I forget what the exact reasoning was, but I believe they use a tougher coating and are slightly denser due to the tracking tech built in. Regardless, I’d never even think about bringing my clubs either. Can’t wreck those beauties. 

Ruined a club all to get a 16 on a double point ball

johnbj14 likes this

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Hate to see any establishment fail, but that is not surprising given how terrible their beers are. Hopefully someone else fills the space.

I thought their beers were fine. There is just a lot of better options in the area. 

I wonder where their production space is, given that they'll still be putting cans on shelves. I agree that the beer isn't very good. I've been there a few times over a few years and was never impressed.

Wellspent, just across the street, is excellent. UCBC is very good, too.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I wonder where their production space is, given that they'll still be putting cans on shelves. I agree that the beer isn't very good. I've been there a few times over a few years and was never impressed.

Agree on Wellspent (and UCBC). Wellspent has great beers and it is relatively close to Chaifetz. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Aside from the hockey aesthetic, there wasn't anything unique about their beers that really struck me. Don't get me wrong, I'm upset the taproom is closing, but when you have Rockwell, Wellspent, and UCBC within the same general area, you have to have a niche beer or two.

15 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Aside from the hockey aesthetic, there wasn't anything unique about their beers that really struck me. Don't get me wrong, I'm upset the taproom is closing, but when you have Rockwell, Wellspent, and UCBC within the same general area, you have to have a niche beer or two.

They didn't even lean into the hockey aesthetic enough. Their brewing area was cool - it was surrounded by hockey boards - but they never used the bar adjacent to that area (which was also right off of Lindell). A lot of head-scratchers with that place.

• 1 month later...

A lot of the development plans are nice and promising, but when they open they are not what was expected. My wife went for lunch with some of her friends to The Foundry. The food court was very nice and had a wide variety of little eateries, the top floor has a grocery store which is busy, but the middle floor where small companies were to go is empty.

35 minutes ago, Old guy said:

A lot of the development plans are nice and promising, but when they open they are not what was expected. My wife went for lunch with some of her friends to The Foundry. The food court was very nice and had a wide variety of little eateries, the top floor has a grocery store which is busy, but the middle floor where small companies were to go is empty.

If they were suppose to be office type business then all that is in a state of flux everywhere in the nation.

• 1 month later...

This post is not about Midtown development it is about Kroenke and his actions against St. Louis. I have no idea what happened with the complex legal process this thing wound up being involved in. However, I do have news for those who dislike Kroenke. Bloomberg just published that the Walton family had lost $19 Billion from the Walmart stock losses.

For those of you that, like me, engage in the art of shadenfreude (check it in google), this news should provide some internal satisfaction, enjoy.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

This post is not about Midtown development it is about Kroenke and his actions against St. Louis. I have no idea what happened with the complex legal process this thing wound up being involved in. However, I do have news for those who dislike Kroenke. Bloomberg just published that the Walton family had lost $19 Billion from the Walmart stock losses.

For those of you that, like me, engage in the art of shadenfreude (check it in google), this news should provide some internal satisfaction, enjoy.

doubt theyll miss many meals