OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Just out of curiosity, because I legitimately don't know, what is the historical significance you're referencing.

The Harris Stowe fields are on the site of St. Louis's ***** League stadium (Edit: So it bleeped it out??? I didn't say anything bad guys)

There was a good article in the post about it

The architect of mansion house & the flying saucer bldg near SLU died yesterday at 96.  He was in one of our Japanese internment camps during WWII & later served in the US army - took his architecture degree at Wash U

ARon likes this

31 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

The Harris Stowe fields are on the site of St. Louis's ***** League stadium (Edit: So it bleeped it out??? I didn't say anything bad guys)

i'm curious what the stars say?   try spelling it out with a space between letters and maybe a period after each letter to beat the system. please?

30 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Does it really bleep out “*****” ? I mean I guess it’s offensive/not the preferred term in most contexts but it’s literally in the name of a baseball league that existed in the US for a long time. 

Just now, rgbilliken said:

Does it really bleep out “*****” ? I mean I guess it’s offensive/not the preferred term in most contexts but it’s literally in the name of a baseball league that existed in the US for a long time. 

Yeah, you know that and I know that. But I guess someone in a censorship position thought we'd be bandying the word about on a college basketball forum? Jeebus H Cripes.

ha that never even crossed my mind.   just shows how much times have changed though.  but history is what it is.

40 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Used to be we couldn't type out the name Dick until Steve fixed it......

52 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Thanks.  I did not know that.  I'd love to see some pictures of what that park looked like.

Here is a picture of Stars Park the Missouri History Museum posted a while back.  
The historic significance is certainly part of why the Cardinals are involved in helping to fund the renovations.

2E4FFDD8-086A-4182-9EAE-D35676A5AE2B.jpeg

0240BC8D-EDF2-4913-971D-723CF068F544.jpeg

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

Very cool.  Do we know what intersection that is?

I presume Market and Compton.

The Athletic did and article on the old photo, not sure if it is unlocked or not.  https://theathletic.com/621169/2018/10/30/the-story-behind-the-missing-link-to-st-louis-stars-park-home-of-one-of-the-best-baseball-teams-in-history/?source=user_shared_article

27 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Used to be we couldn't type out the name Dick until Steve fixed it......

Lol. If I recall correctly I feel like the medical term for female anatomy was censored at one point too. Not sure how we even found that out or if that is still the case 

15 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Lol. If I recall correctly I feel like the medical term for female anatomy was censored at one point too. Not sure how we even found that out or if that is still the case 

I remember that too. I found that one could use the word for male equipment but not the female. I think I commented that it was blatant sex discrimination.🙂

rgbilliken likes this

There used to be a baseball(actually softball) field at Laclede and Compton- site of a current place called Chaifetz arena.  Very diversified group of players that included Percy Green, Jerry Berger, Martin Quigley, Thornhill (basketball player for St. Louis Hawks).  Don't know if this was the site for the earlier stadium.

7 minutes ago, papal said:

There used to be a baseball(actually softball) field at Laclede and Compton- site of a current place called Chaifetz arena.  Very diversified group of players that included Percy Green, Jerry Berger, Martin Quigley, Thornhill (basketball player for St. Louis Hawks).  Don't know if this was the site for the earlier stadium.

No, the old stadium was pretty much right where Harris-Stowe plays their baseball games now. I guess the infield was a bit further in from the street corner due to the size of the grandstand. That plaque in the pic upthread has a nice map of how it was laid out.

1 hour ago, papal said:

Jerry Berger. The “God” of Laclede Town. He controlled who could live there. Kept a racial ,age and economic balance. The utopian community worked for awhile but when Berger left it fell apart. 

46 minutes ago, willie said:

Jerry Berger. The “God” of Laclede Town. He controlled who could live there. Kept a racial ,age and economic balance. The utopian community worked for awhile but when Berger left it fell apart. 

not to be confused with the Late Globe columnist    good article here about LT. easy under 21 liquor store there was my main experience personally with it.

.http://www.decodingstl.org/laclede-town-the-rise-and-fall-of-a-bohemian-utopia/

25 minutes ago, almaman said:

not to be confused with the Late Globe columnist    good article here about LT. easy under 21 liquor store there was my main experience personally with it.

.http://www.decodingstl.org/laclede-town-the-rise-and-fall-of-a-bohemian-utopia/

Thanks for the article. I lived in Laclede Park for a few years while in school . Wasn’t a regular but subbed in a few softball games. Several of my law school friends lived in Laclede Town . By about 73-74 things had gotten pretty rough. Several Cardinal football players lived in Laclede Park. Actually socialized with a couple of them. Lot of fun. 

• 4 months later...