OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me slow to appreciate what is right in our very own city - but my wife and I went to Scottish Arms on Friday for fish n chips.   Located at Sarah and close to Laclede.    Just down from all the West Pine Apartments  --- the area is sure changing - and for the better.    Two thumbs up by the way.

For all those who remember Rossino's Italian restaurant by campus - this area/restaurant is close by.  https://www.stlmag.com/dining/memory-lane-rossino’s/

Maybe when things slow down after our run to the Final Four - we can start a St. Louis restaurants/eating tour thread in honor of Joe Bonwich.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Call me slow to appreciate what is right in our very own city - but my wife and I went to Scottish Arms on Friday for fish n chips.   Located at Sarah and close to Laclede.    Just down from all the West Pine Apartments  --- the area is sure changing - and for the better.    Two thumbs up by the way.

For all those who remember Rossino's Italian restaurant by campus - this area/restaurant is close by.  https://www.stlmag.com/dining/memory-lane-rossino’s/

Maybe when things slow down after our run to the Final Four - we can start a St. Louis restaurants/eating tour thread in honor of Joe Bonwich.

Mrs. and Won and I went to Rossino's on our first date. 

I don't know if you saw it, but the new condo development catty-corner from Scottish Arms turned out great.  There's a cool new condo development going up right across from the Rossino's building too.

Highly recommend Blue Strawberry Lounge on Boyle north of Cortex.  It is a cabaret lounge with various touring and local acts.  Food was high level and the performance was very intimate in the small space.

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Scottish Arms has an awesome brunch.

They have a homemade Bloody Mary mix that is incredible!

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Mrs. and Won and I went to Rossino's on our first date. 

I don't know if you saw it, but the new condo development catty-corner from Scottish Arms turned out great.  There's a cool new condo development going up right across from the Rossino's building too.

Yes I did. Is it the building Juniper restaurant is in? Heard good things about Juniper. 

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Scottish Arms have an awesome brunch.

They have a homemade Bloody Mary mix that is incredible!

Good to know.  Thanks

I prefer bourbon over scotch but the scotch selection looked great. And my draft beer - 90 Schilling was really good.  My wife enjoyed Kronenbourg 1664 on draft too 

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Rossino's is on the lost tables website which list a bunch of old st Louis dining establishments.

http://www.losttables.com/AtoZ.htm

The thing that is truly exceptional at Scottish Arms is the variety of single malt scotch the carry. You can go there and be certain to find something you have never tried before.

Most restaurants carry half a dozen standard single malts and a bit more standard bourbons, usually nothing new to try out.

6 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

If fish and chips is your thing go to the tap room. And I also like the Scottish Arms.  

10 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes I did. Is it the building Juniper restaurant is in? Heard good things about Juniper. 

Yeah, Juniper is really good - definitely worth checking out.  Retreat Gastropub (right across the street from Juniper) is really good too.

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

The thing that is truly exceptional at Scottish Arms is the variety of single malt scotch the carry. You can go there and be certain to find something you have never tried before.

Most restaurants carry half a dozen standard single malts and a bit more standard bourbons, usually nothing new to try out.

When I visit in the summer there is no better way to end the evening than a cigar and a dram on the back patio of the Scottish Arms.

Foodie out of towners might be surprised by the trendy food scene developing in the Grove/ Tower Grove Av. area.  Indo, for instance, is a bit pricey but very cool with great, interesting food items. Same block as Union Loafer, Olio, Nixta, and Elaia. The Grove is also springing up some new places, like Layla for burgers.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I just got done looking at it and now I'm pissed that they tore down the Parkmoor to build a stupid Walgreens.  That place was awesome.

Yeah Parkmoor was great. Used to skip 1st period at CBC and grab breakfast there until our dean (Mr. Bahr) figured it out. Too many great restaurants on that list to name. I was a bit confused after seeing Cyrano's (now in Webster) and Carl's Delis (across from  St. Mary's and coincidentally next to where Cyrano's used to be) on that list. I guess they include change of ownership/change in location?

10 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Foodie out of towners might be surprised by the trendy food scene developing in the Grove/ Tower Grove Av. area.  Indo, for instance, is a bit pricey but very cool with great, interesting food items. Same block as Union Loafer, Olio, Nixta, and Elaia. The Grove is also springing up some new places, like Layla for burgers.

We drive to Union Loafers for our bread - then freeze what we can’t eat in a few days  St Louis’ best bread

• 1 month later...