OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

5 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Well, when the Foundry project is complete, there will be a whole complex with bars and other entertainment just a block from campus. 

great point

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love field house, I love the true SLU sports bar, but its getting to the point where its overly packed every time.  You have to get there at least 1.5 hours before a game starts to even get a table.  

22 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Well, when the Foundry project is complete, there will be a whole complex with bars and other entertainment just a block from campus. 

I love to go to that kinda of entertainment on a random Tuesday or Saturday with friends.  But on a game day, those are terrible. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

From what I was told by a Midtown bartender recently when I lamented the lack of campus bars these days, the school was feeling a lot of pressure from parents. It seemed to him that every time an underage student would have an incident like having to get his/her stomach pumped or whatever, the administration would get a call and feel more and more pressure. So the school has just become a lot less accommodating to campus bars over the years. This doesn't really apply to the breweries and restaurants around there, just the sort of cheaper, rowdier places like Laclede's, Humphrey's, Library Annex, etc.

I asked him what difference it made if the school wanted them there or not, because it's not like the school can force them to close or disallow students from going. He just kinda shrugged and said, "When you're not welcome, you start to feel it."

Take that for what it's worth.

Problem is that reducing the number of college bars around campus won't actually do anything to reduce the number of stomach pumps or ER visits. The drinking will actually move into the dorms and off campus apartments, where it may actually lead to more dangerous incidents. There's probably some evidence somewhere that people drinking in a public space is in fact safer. 

SLU doesn't really think about the bigger picture here...

SLU_Lax and majerus mojo like this

7 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Problem is that reducing the number of college bars around campus won't actually do anything to reduce the number of stomach pumps or ER visits. The drinking will actually move into the dorms and off campus apartments, where it may actually lead to more dangerous incidents. There's probably some evidence somewhere that people drinking in a public space is in fact safer. 

Im sure.   Fun fact, in Athens Georgia, there is  a designated underage bar.  The point of it is because they know kids under 21 are going to go out and drink, so its safer to have them go to a designated area where they can be closely monitored(a ton of cops and security).

12 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Spoon-Balls, I think you should question what the administration is aiming to achieve before you judge their actions. I will give you two ways to handle situations like the one described above: Goal 1, to protect the student body against their own stupidity by having them drink in a place where they receive at least some degree of independent supervision. 2. To limit the school's liability by doing what the parents ask them to do, which  is to close the bars.

SLU is building a nice big safe space where they can groom a bunch of folks incapable of handling their own affairs. It isn't unique to SLU either. Dealing with recent college grads lately has become....something. 

TaLBErt likes this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

And I don't know that the establishments there will fit the "college bar" mold.

This is really what's missing. You don't need a ton, but one or two really good bars that feel like the college bar. Humphrey's was that. Unless it reopens, I'm not sure SLU could ever have one again because feeling like an institution in and of itself is part of the charm. A place where generations of students there have gone to unwind.

I love all the new breweries around campus but $6+ good-quality beers aren't realistic for students. That'll be true of the Foundry, as well.

15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Spoon-Balls, I think you should question what the administration is aiming to achieve before you judge their actions. I will give you two ways to handle situations like the one described above: Goal 1, to protect the student body against their own stupidity by having them drink in a place where they receive at least some degree of independent supervision. 2. To limit the school's liability by doing what the parents ask them to do, which  is to close the bars.

Oh I'm sure SLU is concerned with their own liability, hence reducing public drinking spaces helps them with that goal. The thing I am questioning though is whether reducing the number of public drinking spaces within walking distance of campus has unintended consequences. Namely, the number of intoxication incidences or ER visits. I would hypothesize that when students have no places to drink and socialize in public, that they instead drink in apartments and dorms, which may lead to more significant intoxication episodes. 

Again, I would be curious to see if there is data that supports this, but it's just my personal intuition. 

24 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I agree. Forcing students to drive is a huge problem, as well.

From the recent grads I've talked to, it seems like SLU students generally head out somewhere else - CWE, Soulard, etc. - and then would wrap up at Library Annex, or occasionally someone's apartment for a smaller party. That doesn't seem safer to me, unless they're splitting an Uber or something like that.

But the distance gives SLU less potential liability when things go sideways. The school is going to feel responsible whenever something happens on or adjacent to campus.

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

Except for the fact that the target audience of the Foundry project is not students. It is targeting working professionals with more money and will not have a college bar. 

39 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Bars assume liability that can be deflected from the University. Drinking in dorms or university owned spaces makes the university far more liable than have bars near campus. 

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Bingo. 

But i'm sure shutting down Library Annex is giving some of these parents a nice false sense of accomplishment for the time being...

39 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Bingo. 

But i'm sure shutting down Library Annex is giving some of these parents a nice false sense of accomplishment for the time being...

kids also dont want to call for medical help in places they will get in trouble ie dorms

Part of the problem is the land around SLU has become very valuable.  That drives up the cost of operating any business in the area.  I am guessing high rents are a bigger deterrent to operating  a "college bar" than anything the school is doing. It is hard to sell cheap drinks when you are paying a fortune per square foot.

RUBillsFan, cheeseman and SShoe like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Part of the problem is the land around SLU has become very valuable.  That drives up the cost of operating any business in the area.  I am guessing high rents are a bigger deterrent to operating  a "college bar" than anything the school is doing. It is hard to sell cheap drinks when you are paying a fortune per square foot.

This is true, though it would be really nice to have a place right next to campus for Billikens fans to gather before the basketball games, which could also serve as a socializing venue for students on weekends. A place that's a little more upscale from Humps could still succeed in that area. Fieldhouse is nice but it's a little bit of a walk from the main campus and most students don't walk over there. The Humphreys location is perfect but unfortunately SLU will likely turn it into another surface parking lot. 

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, ARon said:

Someone competent needs to reopen the Dante’s/Firehouse space.

The problem with that space is that it has no parking and is surrounded by student housing and tenants that do not want noise late at night. Under the prior tenant the Dante/Firehouse space created problems with parking, noise and fights. Any new use of that space will have to be sensitive to those issues.