OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Ha I doubt any time soon. Aside from the Steelcote, Lindseed Oil Bldg, and the new construction projects in Prospect Yards, I know the developer has plans for some mix-use new construction just east of Captain D's and Rally's along Chouteau extending North. 

Fast food car dining doesn't get much better than that location. View of midtown stretching east to the arch is awesome.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.kmov.com/news/city-foundry-stl-attracts-restaurants-new-businesses-to-midtown/article_0e93ee52-5fa0-11e9-8e7a-3f3da3ca3aab.html

Not familiar with most of these:

" In addition, the following five new restaurants will be added: Buenos Aires Cafe, Chela Tapas, Murf's Deli, Natalie's Cakes & more, and City Taco Shack."

This is in addition to:

" Eight restaurants have already signed onto to moving into the food hall, including CropCircle, Good Day, Hello Poke, Lost & Found: A Burger and Pizza Joint, Juice Box Central, Mokyu Mokyu, Press Waffle Co., Sumax: Hummas & Wraps, UKraft and Kalbi Taco Shack."

OK you have 13 new restaurants scheduled for the Foundry. This is great. How many do you think will be there 6 months after? It all depends on how many people become regulars. I am pretty sure that any number of these 13 restaurants will not be there 6 months after the opening. Depending on how many people work in the area, there may be enough traffic to keep a number of them alive, not all of them.

Not necessarily a "Midtown Development," but definitely some good proximity to the SLU medical campus. Will be really interesting to see how new developments fill in the Chouteau corridor over the next 10-15 years. 

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/million-lafayette-square-development-to-break-ground--unit-apartment/article_e1be15c8-ef2e-5351-a55d-a55c48ba551f.html

2 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Not necessarily a "Midtown Development," but definitely some good proximity to the SLU medical campus. Will be really interesting to see how new developments fill in the Chouteau corridor over the next 10-15 years. 

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/million-lafayette-square-development-to-break-ground--unit-apartment/article_e1be15c8-ef2e-5351-a55d-a55c48ba551f.html

If completed it will leave the Lafayette Square neighborhood pretty much fully developed.  I know developers have had trouble getting enough interest in this spot before, but it being in an Opportunity Zone now may make financing easier.

The area between here and SLU med is down to almost no vacant/city owned property as well, but definitely has plenty of underutilized spots.  I hope that this along with the SLU hospital adjacent development leads to some bold/dense development along Chouteau between the two.

1 hour ago, ARon said:

If completed it will leave the Lafayette Square neighborhood pretty much fully developed.  I know developers have had trouble getting enough interest in this spot before, but it being in an Opportunity Zone now may make financing easier.

The area between here and SLU med is down to almost no vacant/city owned property as well, but definitely has plenty of underutilized spots.  I hope that this along with the SLU hospital adjacent development leads to some bold/dense development along Chouteau between the two.

SLU will definitely have to make some big decisions in the future regarding its vast amounts of green space between the medical campus and the Gate District. Too much dead space in that neighborhood, it would be better if SLU sold most of the properties off since it is unlikely to ever be built on by the University being so far from the rest of the campus. 

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Those interested in urban affairs, here is a semi related article on St Louis:

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/04/car-free-safe-streets-st-louis-map-vehicle-barriers-traffic/586501/

This smacks of people wanting to change just to have change.  What exactly is the benefit of opening these streets back up?  Right now, kids on these streets can safely ride their bikes without their parents worrying about cars flying down the road.  Drug deals don't go down in the middle of those streets anymore, because the dealers know their trapped if the police show up.  Now, someone who probably fashions his or her self as "progressive" wants to remove the barriers to ...... "open up the City grid?"  I think that was a quote from the article.  Strange motivation that sounds a lot like change just for the sake of change.  Someone wants to feel better about themselves for accomplishing something without really considering the issue.

54 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

This smacks of people wanting to change just to have change.  What exactly is the benefit of opening these streets back up?  Right now, kids on these streets can safely ride their bikes without their parents worrying about cars flying down the road.  Drug deals don't go down in the middle of those streets anymore, because the dealers know their trapped if the police show up.  Now, someone who probably fashions his or her self as "progressive" wants to remove the barriers to ...... "open up the City grid?"  I think that was a quote from the article.  Strange motivation that sounds a lot like change just for the sake of change.  Someone wants to feel better about themselves for accomplishing something without really considering the issue.

I lived in Shaw for a few years. They're a huge pain in the a$$. I never understood their purpose. South City already has a stop sign on every single corner; the idea of "cars flying down the road" is pretty far-fetched. At least get rid of the concrete planters and balls to let traffic flow a little more smoothly.

Just now, Box and Won said:

From what I've heard, the opposite is true.

I think the "drug deals in the street" narrative is a bit overblown as it relates to this particular issue, but it's really stupid to block off streets in a way that makes it more difficult for emergency vehicles to get through.

56 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

There's research indicating that crime actually worsened after those barriers were put in.  Now I could argue that crime was probably going to increase in these neighborhoods no matter what and that the pots weren't the cause of that, but if it at minimum appears that they do little or nothing to reduce crime, then yes, they should probably open up the city grid and improve connectivity.  

Pistol likes this

40 minutes ago, SShoe said:

There's research indicating that crime actually worsened after those barriers were put in.  Now I could argue that crime was probably going to increase in these neighborhoods no matter what and that the pots weren't the cause of that, but if it at minimum appears that they do little or nothing to reduce crime, then yes, they should probably open up the city grid and improve connectivity.  

I have heard the same thing - if the criminals won't go down the blocked streets then the police will be less inclined also to patrol.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

never tried it, walked by a few times coming from wellspent.  Hopefully the buyer will do something special with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

The Library Annex is closing for good June 8th. RIP to the last college bar near campus. 

Damn. Students have nothing left in terms of places in the vicinity of SLU's campus. SAD. 

In all honesty though, SLU is doing itself a real disservice by destroying all of the establishments that provide the social fabric for the student body. Without bars and places to booze within walking distance--places hosting primarily students from SLU--I feel that the student body will be a lot less connected than it used to be...

2 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Damn. Students have nothing left in terms of places in the vicinity of SLU's campus. SAD. 

In all honesty though, SLU is doing itself a real disservice by destroying all of the establishments that provide the social fabric for the student body. Without bars and places to booze within walking distance--places hosting primarily students from SLU--I feel that the student body will be a lot less connected than it used to be...

May cause some to go to a game!

From what I was told by a Midtown bartender recently when I lamented the lack of campus bars these days, the school was feeling a lot of pressure from parents. It seemed to him that every time an underage student would have an incident like having to get his/her stomach pumped or whatever, the administration would get a call and feel more and more pressure. So the school has just become a lot less accommodating to campus bars over the years. This doesn't really apply to the breweries and restaurants around there, just the sort of cheaper, rowdier places like Laclede's, Humphrey's, Library Annex, etc.

I asked him what difference it made if the school wanted them there or not, because it's not like the school can force them to close or disallow students from going. He just kinda shrugged and said, "When you're not welcome, you start to feel it."

Take that for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I asked him what difference it made if the school wanted them there or not, because it's not like the school can force them to close or disallow students from going. He just kinda shrugged and said, "When you're not welcome, you start to feel it."

Seems to work around here too.

rgbilliken likes this

13 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Well, when the Foundry project is complete, there will be a whole complex with bars and other entertainment just a block from campus.