OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

My company is putting a store in the Foundry.  Its been really hyped up but having been a part of the development there I just don't see it working.  There are no complementary businesses.  It is a full service moviehouse, and dozens of eating establishments along with a grocery store.  I could see the moviehouse and the grocery store being the only parts that could be successful.  

I think it will work overall.

But I doubt the eating and drinking establishment will be priced for a college student’s budget.

57 minutes ago, ARon said:

I think it will work overall.

But I doubt the eating and drinking establishment will be priced for a college student’s budget.

Hopefully they have better food than Chelsea’s market 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Here’s my question. What can we as alumni do to raise these concerns with Fred/BOT etc...

Hire James Earl Jones to give his Field of Dreams speech slightly changed? 

Alumni will come, Fred. They'll come to St. Louis for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up on Laclede not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the front door as innocent as students, longing for the past. "Of course, we won't mind if you look around", you'll say. "It's only $20 donation per person". They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and fun they lack. And they'll walk up to the bar; waiting for a shot on a perfect night. They'll find they have reserved table for penny pitchers upstairs, where they sat when they were students and chugged their beers. And they'll drink beer and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces.  Oh alumni will come Fred.  

that is good stuff Bills_06  thanks!

imo the second best movie speech of all time.   only jack Nicholson's court room speech  in "a few good men" is better imo.

59 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Here’s my question. What can we as alumni do to raise these concerns with Fred/BOT etc...

Maybe a change dot org page that is easily sharable detailing the desire for more bars in the midtown area. Cite reasons that have been alluded to by others on here: place to come back to for events such as alumni weekend, before SLU basketball games, etc. Pitching it as a way to increase alumni returning to midtown and bolstering a love of the school. 

billikenfan05 likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

that is good stuff Bills_06  thanks!

imo the second best movie speech of all time.   only jack Nicholson's court room speech  in "a few good men" is better imo.

Not even in the same ball park in my opinion.  That Field of Dreams did not win the oscar for best picture is a crime against humanity and marks the end of my giving two poos what a bunch of elitist Hollywood idiots think about movies.....

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

Hire James Earl Jones to give his Field of Dreams speech slightly changed? 

Alumni will come, Fred. They'll come to St. Louis for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up on Laclede not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the front door as innocent as students, longing for the past. "Of course, we won't mind if you look around", you'll say. "It's only $20 donation per person". They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and fun they lack. And they'll walk up to the bar; waiting for a shot on a perfect night. They'll find they have reserved table for penny pitchers upstairs, where they sat when they were students and chugged their beers. And they'll drink beer and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces.  Oh alumni will come Fred.  

OUTSTANDING!

30 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Does a college bar generate enough income now to justify placing one in the the hottest real estate and development area in the city?

I don't think it necessarily needs to be a "college bar." It just needs to be a place that draws patrons all throughout the week. Popular sports bar or restaurant on weekdays with a good weekend late night atmosphere. Something akin to Tin Roof or Wheelhouse? SLU admin would love that.... 

The hard part is getting enough weekday patrons, that's what did Humphreys in financially. With all of the development around the Foundry, my guess is that it's much more doable now. Just need a walkable area with residential density and multiple go-to spots. 

billikenfan05 likes this

6 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I don't think it necessarily needs to be a "college bar." It just needs to be a place that draws patrons all throughout the week. Popular sports bar or restaurant on weekdays with a good weekend late night atmosphere. Something akin to Tin Roof or Wheelhouse? SLU admin would love that.... 

The hard part is getting enough weekday patrons, that's what did Humphreys in financially. With all of the development around the Foundry, my guess is that it's much more doable now. Just need a walkable area with residential density and multiple go-to spots. 

I don’t think the SLU admin like having collegebars right next to campus. I think they see it as analogous to the mission of a university. 

• 4 weeks later...

Meh. It's good, but not great. Don't like the big open space in the middle, which will likely be under-utilized.

Are those 4 smaller buildings in the middle supposed to be bars/restaurants? Do people think SLU students have endless bundles of cash in their pockets? Between this and the Foundry, this seems like something that might end up leeching other businesses in the area rather than complimenting/adding to things that aren't already there. 

Overall though it's a good addition to the neighborhood, and hopefully spurs even more developments around the medical campus. Things over there need to get denser, a la Barnes campus. 

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The surprising thing to me about this is that it is the northwest corner of the intersection.  I thought the we would see something happen on the old Pevely site first.  

That site will likely end up being a new medical school building from what I've heard. 

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Meh. It's good, but not great. Don't like the big open space in the middle, which will likely be under-utilized.

Are those 4 smaller buildings in the middle supposed to be bars/restaurants? 

The open spaces in the middle are 100 times better than a setback from the street.