OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

If that's a bad post so be it spoony.  I do not voluntarily give up power to government.  Certainly not to a new super mayor based at city hall in City of Saint Louis.  Certainly not to a group that will never see to my interests and hold dear my beliefs.  Certainly not to democrats.  Certainly not for some pie in the sky possible benefit to be named later.  You may be able to sell this to some Kansas City whackos or some Springfield doofuses or some Hannibal knuckleheads.  The City of St. Louis will obviously love to take over the county.  Hopefully all of the goofballs who hate Rex Sinqufield's guts for everything else he wants to do will remember that he is funding this.  Hopefully outstate Missouri will see and be fearful of the naked powergrab that this abominable amendment is....  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

If that's a bad post so be it spoony.  I do not voluntarily give up power to government.  Certainly not to a new super mayor based at city hall in City of Saint Louis.  Certainly not to a group that will never see to my interests and hold dear my beliefs.  Certainly not to democrats.  Certainly not for some pie in the sky possible benefit to be named later.  You may be able to sell this to some Kansas City whackos or some Springfield doofuses or some Hannibal knuckleheads.  The City of St. Louis will obviously love to take over the county.  Hopefully all of the goofballs who hate Rex Sinqufield's guts for everything else he wants to do will remember that he is funding this.  Hopefully outstate Missouri will see and be fearful of the naked powergrab that this abominable amendment is....  

I am not making a statement here other than perhaps you should read the plan before start spouting off.  The plan does not make the City of StL the nexus of the govt.  The County still is the unifying community group.  The City simply becomes part of the County just as Ballwin, Chesterfield, and Bridgeton.  There is more involved but you can read the plan and find those matters out.  I have heard this "power grab" statement before and I am not sure where the power grab is - there will still be one man one vote in the election of every official.  Now I know some have had problems with this wanting to be a State wide vote but perhaps you don't know that the original separation vote was State wide and it failed.  It was over turned by the Missouri Supreme Court.  Like I said I am not wanting to make this political but I do think we all have an obligation to at least speak factually.  

willie, Bills_06, SLU_Lax and 1 other like this

3 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

If that's a bad post so be it spoony.  I do not voluntarily give up power to government.  Certainly not to a new super mayor based at city hall in City of Saint Louis.  Certainly not to a group that will never see to my interests and hold dear my beliefs.  Certainly not to democrats.  Certainly not for some pie in the sky possible benefit to be named later. 

Ah yes the nefarious Democrat plot.......funded by the state’s most prolific GOP financier.

3 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

You may be able to sell this to some Kansas City whackos

or some Springfield doofuses

or some Hannibal knuckleheads.

Do you like anyone who doesn’t live within 10 minutes of Mid Rivers Mall?

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don’t understand this thinking. I’m too lazy to go point by point, but ultimately your success in St. Louis county is dependent on my success in south city and vice versa 

15 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

You may be able to sell this to some Kansas City whackos or some Springfield doofuses or some Hannibal knuckleheads. 

15 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Jefferson, Franklin, and St. Charles counties will all be preferable to Saint Louis county/city

So you don’t like Kansas City, Springfield, Hannibal, St. Louis County, or St. Louis City? 

All those places have so much to offer but it seems you hate them all, but Jefferson, Franklin, and St. Charles counties are awesome?

To each their own but that’s seems absolutely ridiculous. I guess some folks are big fans of strip malls and chain restaurants.

14 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I'm going to read the full report before I form an opinion on the plan.

That’s just crazy talk!

Why would you want to learn the facts and the positives and negatives when you could just jump to some crazy conclusion.

Its fun spouting off about things you know nothing about.

You kind of missed my point.  There are goofballs in cities throughout the state that might vote yes on this.  Hopefully not many.  Hopefully not enough.  Hopefully this will actually be put to a vote by the people most affected by this.  There's a reason this is not happening now and that is because it is doomed to failure if the vote is in the county.  

I like the City.  I work in the city.  I spend a ton of time here but I've no want to be ruled by the super mayor of Saint Louis.  

(I meant this as a response to dlarry above)

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

That’s just crazy talk!

Why would you want to learn the facts and the positives and negatives when you could just jump to some crazy conclusion.

Its fun spouting off about things you know nothing about.

Down right presidential these days!

The entire state of Missouri will win if St Louis can out compete other rust belt cities like Nashville, Columbus, Indianapolis, etc. for big businesses. Right now what is holding STL back in terms of national image is mostly its crime rate, a number which is skewed because it contains such a small concentrated sample size rather than the entire metro area. A merger would instantly fix that, in addition to putting us in the top 10 cities for population. Changing outside perspectives can go a long way towards fostering new business relationships.

We need to be competing with other regions, not our own municipalities. Most of these municipal leaders are more concerned with their own job security than with the health of the entire region. It’s such small minded thinking.

JGR6396 likes this

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

The entire state of Missouri will win if St Louis can out compete other rust belt cities like Nashville, Columbus, Indianapolis, etc. for big businesses. Right now what is holding STL back in terms of national image is mostly its crime rate, a number which is skewed because it contains such a small concentrated sample size rather than the entire metro area. A merger would instantly fix that, in addition to putting us in the top 10 cities for population. Changing outside perspectives can go a long way towards fostering new business relationships.

You've just described the annexation of the county by the city.  I don't understand how we can be one city for population and crime stats and than just keep our schools and local governments separate.......

3 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

We need to be competing with other regions, not our own municipalities. Most of these municipal leaders are more concerned with their own job security than with the health of the entire region. It’s such small minded thinking.

90+ municipalities and their corresponding government is just crazy. Like Box is this plan the right one? Don't know but some form of consolidation needs to happen yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

You kind of missed my point.  There are goofballs in cities throughout the state that might vote yes on this.  Hopefully not many.  Hopefully not enough.  Hopefully this will actually be put to a vote by the people most affected by this.  There's a reason this is not happening now and that is because it is doomed to failure if the vote is in the county.  

I like the City.  I work in the city.  I spend a ton of time here but I've no want to be ruled by the super mayor of Saint Louis.  

(I meant this as a response to dlarry above)

Politicians don't run metro areas, businessmen do.  Businessmen buy politicians.  Now, you may not have any faith in the wealthy business leaders who run the metro area, but that's a separate issue.

2 minutes ago, willie said:

90+ municipalities and their corresponding government is just crazy. Like Box is this plan the right one? Don't know but some form of consolidation needs to happen yesterday. 

It is but it's high handed and just wrong not to let the locals be the ones to decide

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It is but it's high handed and just wrong not to let the locals be the ones to decide

I sort of agree but these 90 municipalities have a vested interest to keep the status quo even if it is not in the best interest of the region. 

18 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

If we are serious about growing and competing on a global scale, a city/county merger is crucial. Whether that is Better Together's plan or some other plan I don't really know. We should be competing with the Minneapolis-St. Paul's and Denver's, not the Omaha's and Louisville's (no disrespect to Omahans or Louisvillians). Sadly, you are 100% correct: Perception is reality. Disappearing from negative top 10 list after negative top 10 list is an important first step.

Unfortunately, I think that a merger wouldn't solve this.  City's are ranked using their crime statistics regardless of what county they are in.  A merger would only put the City of St. Louis into St. Louis County.  It wouldn't eliminate its status as a municipality. Much like Kansas City is in Jackson County, St. Louis City would be in St. Louis County, but it's borders as a city would still exist as would the same crime rates.