OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet but I am really excited for Bulrush to open this month. Chef/Owner Rob Connoley, previously of Squatter's Cafe in the KDHX building, and of New Meixco's Curious Kumquat where he was named a James Beard semifinalist, has quite an interesting concept going: "Ozark cuisine".

Here are a few links talking about Connoley and his new restaurant:

https://www.stlmag.com/dining/bulrush-rob-connoley-new-location-opening-foraging-cookbook-kranzberg/

http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/st_louis_news/article_ba9537a8-c1bf-11e8-b398-8f6d4851c089.html

https://www.stlmag.com/dining/st-louis-most-anticipated-restaurants-of-2019/

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I did not see this coming.

What's great is that in this rendering alone there are at least two sites available for additional development across the street.  It will be interesting to see how this area takes shape.

Mill Creek Flats

Has anyone heard anything on any of the empty Laclede buildings?  Humphreys, Diabliatos, and Laclede's are all sitting empty and have been for years.  You also have the empty warehouse a little east of Laclede's.  It is really frustrating to see those sit there empty with apparently no plans.

A lot of great things happening in the general area of SLU but frustrating we can't even get the stuff across the street from us right. 

Box and Won and Spoon-Balls like this

32 minutes ago, milwaukeebill said:

Has anyone heard anything on any of the empty Laclede buildings?  Humphreys, Diabliatos, and Laclede's are all sitting empty and have been for years.  You also have the empty warehouse a little east of Laclede's.  It is really frustrating to see those sit there empty with apparently no plans.

A lot of great things happening in the general area of SLU but frustrating we can't even get the stuff across the street from us right. 

I think you are talking about this building which was a topic Bonwich loved.

Fifth%20House.JPG

Fifth%20House%20Jason.jpg

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think you are talking about this building which was a topic Bonwich loved.

Fifth%20House.JPG

Fifth%20House%20Jason.jpg

When we worked on University Village over a decade ago (now City Lofts) there was talk about redeveloping this building as well. I can't recall specifics but I know there were some major issues associated with it. Clearly that still seems to be the case.

Really excited for the midtown area Northeast of Grand and Chouteau. Michael Hamburg has big plans for that entire area so don't be surprised if we hear about new developments over the next 5-7 years. Looking forward to hearing more details when I meet with Michael this week to go over some projects. 

36 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Not owned by SLU and the price is sky high. Similar to Humps. Unfortunate really. 

Unfortunate that those buildings are all owned by land grabbers who never really had plans to develop the properties, just sit on them and sell off later on for profit. Funny because every year they’re essentially losing money, meaning they have to keep asking for a ridiculous price.

I think the guy who bought Humphreys was this a-hole, who if I’m not mistaken I also remember threatening people on Twitter: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2016/09/09/humphreys-bar-nearto-be-replaced.amp.html

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Unfortunate that those buildings are all owned by land grabbers who never really had plans to develop the properties, just sit on them and sell off later on for profit. Funny because every year they’re essentially losing money, meaning they have to keep asking for a ridiculous price.

I think the guy who bought Humphreys was this a-hole, who if I’m not mistaken I also remember threatening people on Twitter: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2016/09/09/humphreys-bar-nearto-be-replaced.amp.html

Blocked me

17 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I'm sure they enjoy the depreciation though...

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I'm sure they enjoy the depreciation though...

Don’t think u can depreciate a building not put in use - it’s just inventory.  

Not saying people don’t do this & it slips thru the cracks.  

Retired cpa whose practice was based on real estate clients. 🤔

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, Major Majerus said:

Don’t think u can depreciate a building not put in use - it’s just inventory.  

Not saying people don’t do this & it slips thru the cracks.  

Retired cpa whose practice was based on real estate clients. 🤔

Yeah I was wondering about that immediately after posting. Never had to deal with accounting on a commercial building that remained abandoned. Makes sense that you could not.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

You still have pay the piper on depreciation when you sell it

True but until you sell it's always nice to have losses to offset other income you may have. Although as Major pointed out, probably can't get any from a building that remains out of use.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty incredible what the good Doctor is doing for the city of St. Louis. Can't wait to see how much his presence influences the city's growth over the next several decades.....Maybe someday it will even result in an NBA team??

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local/million-at-stake-chaifetz-group-taps-election-software-firm-for/article_a14cb407-52c6-5bdc-b5ef-9db4c3946de7.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

The other day, I counted three cranes in different locations down by SLU.   This is one one of the hottest neighborhoods in town with regard to development.  It's possible that in a few years, SLU is in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Saint Louis, which of course is relative.

12 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The other day, I counted three cranes in different locations down by SLU.   This is one one of the hottest neighborhoods in town with regard to development.  It's possible that in a few years, SLU is in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Saint Louis, which of course is relative.

I know there are a few cranes at the hospital, soon to be a few more that city Foundry, and no cranes but development at stealcote.  Speaking of steelcote, not sure if mentioned but this would be cool.

https://www.cityscene-stl.com/news/a-look-inside-the-steelcote-lofts

I didnt see in the original plans to build next to steelcote

52 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

For sure! The Midtown/Cortex area is going to be a huge asset for the city. It's certainly already trending that way. The undeveloped/underdeveloped area between WashU and SLU keeps shrinking.  Was at a dinner party while on business in DC last year and had a few people ask me about Cortex after I told them I was from St. Louis. St. Louis always gets defined by the negative things that happen/exist here. Think the Cortex  area has the potential to provide our city a positive identity, at least for some people...

TheChosenOne likes this

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

. St. Louis always gets defined by the negative things that happen/exist here. Think the Cortex  area has the potential to provide our city a positive identity, at least for some people...

I always teeter totter on the city county merger issue, but the merger is one thing that changes stl on the national scale.  no more high crime ranking.  The crime is the one thing that the whole country laughs and knows about us for.

cheeseman likes this

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I always teeter totter on the city county merger issue, but the merger is one thing that changes stl on the national scale.  no more high crime ranking.  The crime is the one thing that the whole country laughs and knows about us for.

If we are serious about growing and competing on a global scale, a city/county merger is crucial. Whether that is Better Together's plan or some other plan I don't really know. We should be competing with the Minneapolis-St. Paul's and Denver's, not the Omaha's and Louisville's (no disrespect to Omahans or Louisvillians). Sadly, you are 100% correct: Perception is reality. Disappearing from negative top 10 list after negative top 10 list is an important first step.