Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Just a few updates:

• Ground has been broken for the Element by Westin hotel on Forest Park Parkway.
  • The Angad Hotel on Grand is open and looks really cool: https://cheddar.com/videos/the-angad-arts-hotel-lets-you-chose-a-room-based-on-your-mood.  I want to check out the restaurant and rooftop deck.
  • The Foundry and Armory projects are full speed ahead.  It's been fun to view their progress on my way to and from work each day.
  • Work has begun on the Steelcote Lofts.

In other news, The Grove - SLU's neighbor to the southwest - is exploding right now.  There is a ridiculous amount of construction either planned or underway.  Cortex is booming as well.

We stayed in the Angard Arts Hotel when we were in town for the Butler game. I really liked it and will stay there again next time we're in town if we can get a good rate. Walking distance to the Fieldhouse and the 'Fetz. The rooftop bar had a cool view of the city and a nice selection of Scotch and Bourbon. Did not get a chance to try the restaurant but it's supposed to be good.

Sadly, Humphrey’s remains boarded up with no word of any future redevelopment.

Its a pretty sad state of affairs with the lack of bars or places to mingle around campus for SLU students. When I was an undergrad, Humps was a significant staple of campus social life. Hopefully the Foundry development changes that.

29 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Sadly, Humphrey’s remains boarded up with no word of any future redevelopment.

Its a pretty sad state of affairs with the lack of bars or places to mingle around campus for SLU students. When I was an undergrad, Humps was a significant staple of campus social life. Hopefully the Foundry development changes that.

No doubt. Back in my day we had the option of Humphrey's, Billiken Bench Club (BBC), or Caleco's. Those were the days.

1 hour ago, GoBills73 said:

No doubt. Back in my day we had the option of Humphrey's, Billiken Bench Club (BBC), or Caleco's. Those were the days.

i didnt arrive till 78.  no BBC that i recall.  but yes Caleco's, Humphrey's, Clark's and Bogart's.   

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

So, bars near campus currently: Fieldhouse, Library Annex, Center Ice, Moolah Lanes...help me if I’m missing anything

Don’t know if you’d consider it a bar, but Narwhal’s always seems pretty crowded on the weekends.  Personally, if you can’t get a beer there I’m not too interested. 

13 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Don’t know if you’d consider it a bar, but Narwhal’s always seems pretty crowded on the weekends.  Personally, if you can’t get a beer there I’m not too interested. 

8 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

You actually can get beer there.

Second this. Actually a fairly good selection too.

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

What kind of commie foo foo place doesn't serve Busch Light in draft, bottle, and can form? 

-I don't want to say I miss MB73, but some of his posts were entertaining. Some were not and some very much not entertaining.  Merry Christmas, MB as I am betting you still read this forum.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

So, bars near campus currently: Fieldhouse, Library Annex, Center Ice, Moolah Lanes...help me if I’m missing anything

Twisted Roots, Urban Chestnut, Center Ice, Wellspent.

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm glad the area around SLU is booming and I enjoy a craft brewery as much as the next guy but Midtown/SLU is desperately in need of classic college/sports bars to fill Humphrey's and Laclede's vacancies.

Totally.  Craft beer is expensive, and college kids need cheap beer options.