OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

SLU to Construct New Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building: Link to Article.

This is cool news. I don't LOVE the look of the new building, but I don't HATE it either. Its very nice, I just wish it would look more like the B School and DuBourg than the buildings on the med school campus. I guess that is the science side of campus so it does sort of work. 

An artist�s rendering of the new Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, prebilliken said:

SLU to Construct New Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building: Link to Article.

This is cool news. I don't LOVE the look of the new building, but I don't HATE it either. Its very nice, I just wish it would look more like the B School and DuBourg than the buildings on the med school campus. I guess that is the science side of campus so it does sort of work. 

I'm with you on the styling.

I'd like to see a signature building in collegiate gothic - akin to DuBourg and Cook Hall - at the two vacant corners of Grand and Lindell, but I suppose it's fine if the science buildings have a different, more modern look.  As long as there's some uniformity between this new building, Parks, and any future science buildings. 

I know they've been mentioned briefly here before, but I've been three times now and will continue to go back whenever I get a chance - Wellspent Brewing at 2917 Olive (a block east of Pappy's on the other side of the street) is excellent. Their beers are great across the board and the space is really nice. Very highly recommended. This will be a go-to spot for me before and/or after home games, and if I were still in town and had season tickets, I'd be parking as close to the place as possible.

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I know they've been mentioned briefly here before, but I've been three times now and will continue to go back whenever I get a chance - Wellspent Brewing at 2917 Olive (a block east of Pappy's on the other side of the street) is excellent. Their beers are great across the board and the space is really nice. Very highly recommended. This will be a go-to spot for me before and/or after home games, and if I were still in town and had season tickets, I'd be parking as close to the place as possible.

love to hear it.  Its my cousins brewery, so Ive been a handful of times already.  Was telling him he should get a nice pregame rush.  

Pistol likes this

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I agree.  The space itself is really nice, as is their patio.  

We've also checked out Twisted Roots brewing in the old Six Row building.  It's pretty decent.

I'd love to see a couple more breweries open up in the Midtown area.  They've started running a shuttle between the various breweries in the area, and it would be great to add a few more stops to the route.

Pistol likes this

16 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I agree.  The space itself is really nice, as is their patio.  

We've also checked out Twisted Roots brewing in the old Six Row building.  It's pretty decent.

I'd love to see a couple more breweries open up in the Midtown area.  They've started running a shuttle between the various breweries in the area, and it would be great to add a few more stops to the route.

Haven't been to Twisted Roots yet but I'll try to get there next time I'm in town. I went to Six Row plenty because I was still in STL when they opened, and made it to PaPPo's once during their brief time in that space. 

The UCBC location in Midtown is still great although I haven't been in a while. Along with Wellspent and Twisted Roots, that's a nice trio within walking distance of campus.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Would non beer drinkers s impressed by the food?

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Haven't been to Twisted Roots yet but I'll try to get there next time I'm in town. I went to Six Row plenty because I was still in STL when they opened, and made it to PaPPo's once during their brief time in that space. 

The UCBC location in Midtown is still great although I haven't been in a while. Along with Wellspent and Twisted Roots, that's a nice trio within walking distance of campus.

There's also Center Ice Brewing in the building next to Pappy's - a pretty good cluster taking shape.  I have not been there yet.

Billikid likes this

28 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

There's also Center Ice Brewing in the building next to Pappy's - a pretty good cluster taking shape.  I have not been there yet.

I knew I was forgetting one. Four within walking distance is already a pretty solid cluster.

I've been to Center Ice a couple times. I thought their beer was pretty mediocre but they seem to do a good job of getting a loyal hockey crowd with their Blues shuttle and other promos, not to mention their theme and branding.

41 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I knew I was forgetting one. Four within walking distance is already a pretty solid cluster.

I've been to Center Ice a couple times. I thought their beer was pretty mediocre but they seem to do a good job of getting a loyal hockey crowd with their Blues shuttle and other promos, not to mention their theme and branding.

The amount of work being done on Locust right behind wellspent is crazy too

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

The beers fine but nothing special.  I went on a non hockey Saturday afternoon and the staff was incredibly nice. Me and a buddy were basically  the only ones in there and they sat down drank with us and baught a few rounds. 

We were doing a micro tour that day and they gave us some options for places to go and the best route. 

I've been back just because I was so impressed with the service and friendliness.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I would expect a lot of interest. This area has become really attractive in recent years. 

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

This is positive.  Hopefully something BIG will get developed there, enhancing the area, bridging the two campuses, and providing a nice financial windfall to the university.  

I'm interested to see what types of uses are proposed - housing?  Lab/research space?  Maybe something with a retail element?

Then maybe someone will buy out that sh--ball Captain D's and Rally's to build something worthwhile at the northeast corner of Grand and Chouteau.  The whole area between Grand/Chouteau/Papin/Theresa could be put to much better use, and there's already some vacant parcels there.  There's also a cool-looking loft project in the works at the old Steelcoat building to the east.

TheChosenOne likes this

36 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

This is positive.  Hopefully something BIG will get developed there, enhancing the area, bridging the two campuses, and providing a nice financial windfall to the university.  

I'm interested to see what types of uses are proposed - housing?  Lab/research space?  Maybe something with a retail element?

Then maybe someone will buy out that sh--ball Captain D's and Rally's to build something worthwhile at the northeast corner of Grand and Chouteau.  The whole area between Grand/Chouteau/Papin/Theresa could be put to much better use, and there's already some vacant parcels there.  There's also a cool-looking loft project in the works at the old Steelcoat building to the east.

The area behind Captain D's (Steelcote building and surrounding parcels) is going to be getting a significant face lift over the next 3-5 years as well. That intersection should look radically different 5 years from now.

TheChosenOne likes this

16 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

If only there were a building on that corner already, relatively large, decent facade facing the street, loft-style for all those young people....

That being said, it does seem like it would be an attractive lot for developers

If the market justified it, it would be cool to see something with a little height at that corner.

With the original hospital, the new hospital building, and the Doisy building, a mini-skyline is taking shape along Grand.  Looks pretty cool from 40.

7 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

If the market justified it, it would be cool to see something with a little height at that corner.

With the original hospital, the new hospital building, and the Doisy building, a mini-skyline is taking shape along Grand.  Looks pretty cool from 40.

It's unlikely that anything non-institutional would exceed 5 stories here.  

• 3 months later...

Just a few updates:

• Ground has been broken for the Element by Westin hotel on Forest Park Parkway.
  • The Angad Hotel on Grand is open and looks really cool: https://cheddar.com/videos/the-angad-arts-hotel-lets-you-chose-a-room-based-on-your-mood.  I want to check out the restaurant and rooftop deck.
  • The Foundry and Armory projects are full speed ahead.  It's been fun to view their progress on my way to and from work each day.
  • Work has begun on the Steelcote Lofts.

In other news, The Grove - SLU's neighbor to the southwest - is exploding right now.  There is a ridiculous amount of construction either planned or underway.  Cortex is booming as well.