OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see lacrosse happening. No ice rink. Can it be played at the soccer park?

I cant think of why that couldnt be something SLU does.

No way SLU adds a sport to play off campus. I don't see it happening. You'd have to add women's lacrosse or another women's sport to balance out the scholarships.

I could see lacrosse happening. No ice rink. Can it be played at the soccer park?

I cant think of why that couldnt be something SLU does.

Both the med campus field and the field at Hermann are large enough for lacrosse. I've always been in favor of ditching the useless sports (swimming/tennis etc.) and adding lacrosse and hockey. At least you can make money on the last 2 sports

Both the med campus field and the field at Hermann are large enough for lacrosse. I've always been in favor of ditching the useless sports (swimming/tennis etc.) and adding lacrosse and hockey. At least you can make money on the last 2 sports

I doubt a slu would make money on hockey. Facility cost alone would be a loser. I would guess we do track, cross country and tennis because of the low overhead.

-hey, the ladies tennis team has some very attractive student athletes, take it easy

I doubt a slu would make money on hockey. Facility cost alone would be a loser. I would guess we do track, cross country and tennis because of the low overhead.

Does any NCAA hockey program make money? I kinda doubt it.

A few year ago during an interview, NCAA President Mark Emmert was asked about teams and sports self-sustaining. He said essentially that if every D1 sport that didn't at least break-even financially was shut down you would be left with about 30 football teams and maybe 100 men's basketball teams. That's it, every other sport loses money.

Does any NCAA hockey program make money? I kinda doubt it.

A few year ago during an interview, NCAA President Mark Emmert was asked about teams and sports self-sustaining. He said essentially that if every D1 sport that didn't at least break-even financially was shut down you would be left with about 30 football teams and maybe 100 men's basketball teams. That's it, every other sport loses money.

This. There's a big difference between generating revenue and making money.

It'd be interesting to know if our own basketball team has ever "made" money. Methods of accounting are all over the map (generally, when NCAA reports come out, stuff magically "breaks even").

Lacrosse would lose a lot of money right out of the gate and would likely never, ever come close to breaking even.

I think hockey would be a perfect fit at SLU and right now would be the perfect time. The Blues announced at the end of 2015 their plan to donating $2 million to try and get more kids into hockey locally. It is becoming much bigger here due to the amount of alumni from the Blues that are deciding to stay here after their playing career, which can be seen from the kids from St. Louis that are supposed to be drafted high this year.

St. Louis was just in the final 3 for the world junior championship but lost out on and that could be something if SLU built a rink right by campus, they may be able to clear ice time to help with those types of events. I have no idea on profits or that but I think with how hockey talent has improved in the St. Louis area over the past 20 years, the local Blues ownership looking to grow youth hockey in the area, having a team at SLU would be a great way to just grow the school throughout the area.

I'd love to know why SLU hockey went away, I assume it was mostly about dollar signs.

I forgot to answer you on this. Why it went away was probably most about how it started to begin with. The Blues were an expansion team in the NHL circa 1967, and Sid Salamon, who owned them, wanted to expand the audience for hockey, so he offered SLU the chance to play there rent-free for a certain number of seasons to build their own audience.

Bill Selman, who came in to coach, built a wonderful rag-tag team to start with (I wanna say the goalie was 28), but they were loveable as hell and Blues fever did, in fact, drive a lot of people to the SLU games.

Somewhere along the line SLU hosted the largest crowd ever to see a college hockey game, a record that stood for about 20 or 25 years.

When the free rent went away, hockey began costing the U a bundle. Right about then was the same time that there was even talk about going D2 for all sports (including basketball, obviously), so the atmosphere overall in the administration was not exactly pro-sports.

Taj can check me on this, but I believe the hockey program was cancelled in 1978, resurrected by fan demand for 1979 and then permanently iced, so to speak. That final team was just as amusing as the first -- Coach scoured all his connections in Canada and dragged in all kinds of Slapshot-like characters. I don't remember if Chris Valentine was that year or the year before, but he played in the NHL, as I think did Mike Krushelnyski, who I'm pretty sure was only in that final class.

Ahh, good times. Anyone else versed in that ancient history should chime in and add stuff or correct me.

I think hockey would be a perfect fit at SLU and right now would be the perfect time. The Blues announced at the end of 2015 their plan to donating $2 million to try and get more kids into hockey locally.

Unless they want to fund a program, I don't see any way for this to ever happen.

-my family used to go to a couple games a year, my recollection is The Billiken lead the team onto the ice, this was what looked like a guy on skates with a ceramic Billiken head

You are correct, sir.

There was also a cheerleading-team-on-ice that I think had the simplistic name of The Billiken Skate Squad.

You are correct, sir.

There was also a cheerleading-team-on-ice that I think had the simplistic name of The Billiken Skate Squad.

If the Billiken Skating out with the team and an on-ice cheer leading squad isn't enough to move hearts and minds than I have lost faith in mankind.

So there is no place I can find it in writing, but it is being heavily rumored that Humphrey's is closing. Heard today from someone in the know that it is "definitely closing mid summer."

That rumor seems to pop up every other year or so.

Humps is certainly being sold in the very near future. The current plan is for the potential new owners to make some changes and open it back up as a bar, but there are some obstacles (required renovation costs in particular) that could mess with that plan.