OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

I wonder how many students would be in there in the fall; i.e. there might be 100 in there now, but how many more were on the way? There might be some people scrambling for an alternative now. Just a thought.

So was the entire building burned to the ground, or just the roof and some of the higher-level units? That would be enough to have to call the building a 'total loss' for insurance purposes and start making demolition plans. The sprinkler system may have saved some levels from being torched; they do enough terrible water damage in their own right, though.

Not to be a complete nerd, but renter's insurance is honestly the best $150 you can spend in a year. I'm always shocked at how few people buy it. I'm hoping people there were covered or they might not be compensated for their belongings damaged or lost in the fire.

We're reporting that the developer has already announced demolition. Said developer says it does "student-themed housing," so apparently those units were always meant to be mainly student-occupied.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a complete nerd, but renter's insurance is honestly the best $150 you can spend in a year. I'm always shocked at how few people buy it. I'm hoping people there were covered or they might not be compensated for their belongings damaged or lost in the fire.

Never understood why some insurance agent didn't have a deal with Frontdoor, etc. to offer some special rate. Having lived in the Coronado building during construction - that place was built as cheap as possible. I am sure all those new rehabs around campus are the same way. I wouldn't rely on all the other jagbags in those buildings to avoid burning it down. Although in my day Ricky would have shoved his size 14 up their ass...

Having lived in the Coronado building during construction - that place was built as cheap as possible.

The Coronado is a brick and stone structure that was built a century ago and couldn't cost-effectively be built today. The interior finishings may be cheap, but it is a different situation completely.

Never understood why some insurance agent didn't have a deal with Frontdoor, etc. to offer some special rate. Having lived in the Coronado building during construction - that place was built as cheap as possible. I am sure all those new rehabs around campus are the same way. I wouldn't rely on all the other jagbags in those buildings to avoid burning it down. Although in my day Ricky would have shoved his size 14 up their ass...

jagbag, spot on. hahahaha. ricky is my dude. he drove me home to grand forest once, while he was on his shift. i was completely blacked out, but he made sure to let me know the next time i saw him. one night when i was utterly destroyed he let me and a buddy go around coronado with him breaking up parties. before that we were so blown out that chicks were literally running away from us at whatever that sh!tty club at lindell and vandeventer was. we finally found a good party w/ tons of booze so ricky let them keep going. me and my buddy hung around and drank a bunch of it, then took these two girls home and bored out their honeyholes w/out ever saying a word to them. ate our jimmy johns as the sun came up. man, i miss ricky. is he still around? he used to always see me walking up from a mile away and yell out, "SLIM!" shitchyeah, ricky.

The Coronado is a brick and stone structure that was built a century ago and couldn't cost-effectively be built today. The interior finishings may be cheap, but it is a different situation completely.

I understand that - my point was about renters insurance and the idea that you can't stop your neighbors from doing stupid ###### that affects you, from toilets overflowing to fires to leaving a pizza in the oven all night and filling a floor with smoke.

. before that we were so blown out that chicks were literally running away from us at whatever that sh!tty club at lindell and vandeventer was.

What was the place that had a strong 2 week run in the old playboy club around 2004-2005? Some sort of brewery. That place was jam packed for 2 or 3 weeks and then they must have been busted for underage stuff. Is there anything in there now?

What was the place that had a strong 2 week run in the old playboy club around 2004-2005? Some sort of brewery. That place was jam packed for 2 or 3 weeks and then they must have been busted for underage stuff. Is there anything in there now?

I believe it was simply called the St. Louis Brewhouse. The building is now owned by the same guy who owns Cafe Ventana and the old house next door (and maybe Diablitos?) and has long been supposed to house Cathedral Square Brewery. Then again, the old house has also been said to be becoming an Italian restaurant for roughly three years.

jagbag, spot on. hahahaha. ricky is my dude. he drove me home to grand forest once, while he was on his shift. i was completely blacked out, but he made sure to let me know the next time i saw him. one night when i was utterly destroyed he let me and a buddy go around coronado with him breaking up parties. before that we were so blown out that chicks were literally running away from us at whatever that sh!tty club at lindell and vandeventer was. we finally found a good party w/ tons of booze so ricky let them keep going. me and my buddy hung around and drank a bunch of it, then took these two girls home and bored out their honeyholes w/out ever saying a word to them. ate our jimmy johns as the sun came up. man, i miss ricky. is he still around? he used to always see me walking up from a mile away and yell out, "SLIM!" shitchyeah, ricky.

That is epic. I'm sure this has been underexaggereated as well. But ricky is still around...still being the man. Ive been locked outta my apartment with girls in tow and rocky is always happy to help a brother out.

And yes renters insurance is the greatest $150 bucks you can spend. I know a couple people who got everything destroyed...sad day.

And yes there were several people i know who had not moved in yet but were due in about a week. there is gonna be some weird living situations around slu this fall.

• 3 months later...

The Metropolitan Lofts are now complete. The building looks great. The next big project for Grand Center will be the redevelopment of the Missouri Theater building, a little farther up Grand.

http://www.bizjourna...of.html?ana=twt

Box. Help me here. What retail used to be in this buidling. Wooworth's??

Took a while, but I finally found articles pointing to a Walgreens on the ground floor until sometime in the '80s. I don't remember that in the slightest from my time on campus in the late '70s. The upper floors had, at least in part, doctors and dentists and professional offices; building was built in 1907.

• 2 months later...
Good news for the historic Sun Theater building in Grand Center...

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2013/01/04/115-million-sun-theater-renovation.html

Thanks for posting this. I often park on Grandel Sq. and I've worried that it was gonna be torn down since the facade was starting to crumble onto the street. Hope they can make it work.

That's a bummer. Hopefully something good will take its place.

That's a bummer. Hopefully something good will take its place.

Seems like a bad business decision to me. There are lots of great pizza option in and around the Loop: Pi, Dewey's, and Cicero's off the top of my head. The Good Pie was the only pizza place in mid-town that I can think of (not counting chains). I suppose that The Good Pie is a different style pizza than those other places and there is more traffic in the Loop. Not sure if those factors outweigh the increased competition.