OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, hell, it's already been vacant since I was in college. I believe that meets the definition of a VERY long time. B)

The family that owns it is wacko.

SLU almost bought it a few years ago - they were going to tear it down for parking - but the deal fell through after the U. went to court with the building's owners.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumors that SLU is looking to purchase the Drake Apartments on Olive?

I had not heard anything, but that place is pretty NASTY, so they would really have to fix it up to be up to SLU-standards. I have heard from a very reliable source though that we are looking to have an arrangement with certain off-campus complexes and making them count as on-campus housing, so this could be that solution. Who knows?

I ran by the old PC on Saturday, and there were signs that work was being done in the building. I have no idea how far along they are, but at least it looked somewhat encouraging.

Agreed. I'd like to see new construction on the parking lot at Laclede and Vandeventer, but preserving the old BBC and Caleco's/Laclede St. Bar.

I'm afraid if it's not torn down, the Fifth House is going to be vacant for a VERY long time.

Yeah I agree with you on this. I'd love to see that corner get filled in with a cool building with a bar/restaurant on the ground level. Caleco's/Laclede's is a dump, but it's our dump and I hope it sticks around. Laclede is getting much better than it used to be. Making residential/coffee shop/restaurant use of STL's old architecture is always a plus for SLU and for St. Louis.

Switching gears...I know some folks on the board had a rough first outing at the 'Annex' but I would recommend giving it another shot. The first time I went my fries were the worst I've ever had. I tried it again and the food is getting better. Service is slowly getting better as well. Next Saturday night game our crew will be there. Come and have a few with us if you get a chance.

Yeah I agree with you on this. I'd love to see that corner get filled in with a cool building with a bar/restaurant on the ground level. Caleco's/Laclede's is a dump, but it's our dump and I hope it sticks around. Laclede is getting much better than it used to be. Making residential/coffee shop/restaurant use of STL's old architecture is always a plus for SLU and for St. Louis.

Switching gears...I know some folks on the board had a rough first outing at the 'Annex' but I would recommend giving it another shot. The first time I went my fries were the worst I've ever had. I tried it again and the food is getting better. Service is slowly getting better as well. Next Saturday night game our crew will be there. Come and have a few with us if you get a chance.

and the blondes that work there are gotdamn top notch. i was about to go buy homegurl a ring last weekend but i wasn't sure i could go to jared's until i got paid today. everybody knows a new ho only gets down with curtain shopping if you went to jared's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's an update from the Business Journal on the new hotel on Olive and some new apartments on Locust:

Saint Louis University, led by President Rev. Lawrence Biondi, was recommended for $5 million in New Markets Tax Credits for a $20 million hotel, apartment, retail and public improvement project on property SLU owns at 3407 Olive St. and 3327-3331 Locust Street. SLU has partnered with the Lawrence Group on a plan to convert the former Interiors Unlimited on Olive Street into a 51-room boutique hotel, to open in early 2011. Twenty-five market-rate apartments will be built in the vacant buildings on Locust, with a new park slated for the west side of the apartment properties, said SLU Chief Financial Officer Bob Woodruff. The apartments will be ready for occupancy by August 2010.

No, it's next to Dell Taco, across from Reinert.

http://www.rentshout.com/listing_uploads/2...tlogos/Main.jpg

So the old union complex. I wonder what they are going to there. Its only a matter of time before they buy out del taco, that will go along way in cleaning up the area. No if we could do something with "The Gauntlet"(Grand Metrostation).

So the old union complex. I wonder what they are going to there. Its only a matter of time before they buy out del taco, that will go along way in cleaning up the area. No if we could do something with "The Gauntlet"(Grand Metrostation).

If SLU were to buy, and presumably want to tear down, the Del Taco, preservationists would go ape ######.

Well, the city of St. Louis is going to fix that up when they tear down the Grand Bridge in the summer. I've been trying to get SLU to build a monorail to the Medical School Campus though. What do you think? Also, I think SLU should build an underground tunnel from the back of the BSC to Chaifetz. Go SLU Go!

word around slu is that they are buying the del taco and are putting in a starbucks/panera/wings place/qdoba. ive heard all of these. well see if this is true. no factual evidence to back this up....so yeah.

I doubt it will be a qdoba just for the pure fact that there are 2 of them within a 2 mile radius of SLU.

It will be interesting to see what the city does with the grand overpass, I dont have high hopes.

John Cook was a part of the group that purchased/renovated the Flats. The set-up is that if you have three buddies and want to get a 4-bedroom apartment, each of you pay upwards of $600 a month for your room. You've got one bathroom to share, a kitchen and a common area. But each apartment comes with a nice flat panel TV and they are furnished. So it's basically a nicer version of the Village quads. It kind of has a modern state-run institution feel to it, but pretty nice for SLU standards.

Also, was told that del taco should have been torn down when the students were over christmas break, but it looks like a summer 2010 demolition, so get your DT diarrhea on while you still can.

John Cook was a part of the group that purchased/renovated the Flats. The set-up is that if you have three buddies and want to get a 4-bedroom apartment, each of you pay upwards of $600 a month for your room. You've got one bathroom to share, a kitchen and a common area. But each apartment comes with a nice flat panel TV and they are furnished. So it's basically a nicer version of the Village quads. It kind of has a modern state-run institution feel to it, but pretty nice for SLU standards.

Also, was told that del taco should have been torn down when the students were over christmas break, but it looks like a summer 2010 demolition, so get your DT diarrhea on while you still can.

I hope they don't just make it a grassy field, similar to Lindell and Grand.