OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

We have been there 3 times including with a group of Bills fans last Saturday for football and last Wed for the GA game. It is a great space with an awesome tv set up. The manager Nick is really good at taking suggestions on tv, beer and food. The kitchen needs to work out some kinks and I think the menu could expand a little bit. The beer is your typical stuff they do not brew their own. They need to get some buckets or happy hours specials in my opinion. Overall we are huge fans of the place.

I need to get over there to check it out.

Speaking of beer, before Saturday's game, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that The U on Olive has $2 Bud bottles and $3 Schlafly all the time. That is a damn good deal!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get over there to check it out.

Speaking of beer, before Saturday's game, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that The U on Olive has $2 Bud bottles and $3 Schlafly all the time. That is a damn good deal!

The annex is very cool, nicest bar in close proximity to SLU. Nice bar area with plentiful TVs, about 5 pool tables and a few beer pong tables as well as a shuffleboard game. Big dance floor for fist pumpin' like champs on some slam-piece guidettes too. Definitely need some specials because last weekend hurt my wallet.

We have been there 3 times including with a group of Bills fans last Saturday for football and last Wed for the GA game. It is a great space with an awesome tv set up. The manager Nick is really good at taking suggestions on tv, beer and food. The kitchen needs to work out some kinks and I think the menu could expand a little bit. The beer is your typical stuff they do not brew their own. They need to get some buckets or happy hours specials in my opinion. Overall we are huge fans of the place.

Best place to watch sports in the city of St. Louis that I have been to. Great TVs...last Saturday was a great atmosphere there before and after the Bills game. Highly recommend it for those that are a little tired of having to get to Triumph 3 hours before a game to find a seat at the bar. Food will improve like DirtyRican said.

The Annex is sweet, and even when the DJ is blaring music, I can't here it two floor up in my apartment. I was told that as of right now, they don't have any specials because the menu just came out and they are reworking it, but that we should get some in the near future. I hope that happens soon!

The annex is very cool, nicest bar in close proximity to SLU. Nice bar area with plentiful TVs, about 5 pool tables and a few beer pong tables as well as a shuffleboard game. Big dance floor for fist pumpin' like champs on some slam-piece guidettes too. Definitely need some specials because last weekend hurt my wallet.

I'd recommend getting draft. Not much of a selection right now but from what I remember, they were 2.50 - 3 bucks.

I'd recommend getting draft. Not much of a selection right now but from what I remember, they were 2.50 - 3 bucks.

$8 pitchers and they are legit pitchers not something the Cards sign and hope Duncan "works magic on".

Highly recommend it for those that are a little tired of having to get to Triumph 3 hours before a game to find a seat at the bar.

Good call. My wife and I fell into that category on Saturday, when we arrived around 5 and found out the wait was over an hour.

From Fr. Biondi's December letter:

Midtown Progress: During the past few months, I have spoken to a variety of community organizations that wanted to hear about the latest developments in Midtown St. Louis. I am always excited to share the good news about the development boom taking place in the neighborhoods that surround our St. Louis campus. The City Diner, which has been a favorite place to eat on South Grand, has partnered with the Fox Theatre to open a second location at the corner of North Grand and Washington Avenue. I hope you will support this new restaurant when it opens next month. In the past year alone five loft apartment building renovations, six new restaurants and four new businesses have opened around SLU. It is clear that Chaifetz Arena has become the beacon for progress in Midtown. It is also evident that the support and patronage of Midtown businesses by our SLU community has ensured that our neighborhood's resurgence will continue.

In 2010, SLU will once again contribute to Midtown in a more direct way. We have agreed to collaborate on the development of a boutique hotel with local developer Steve Smith. In addition to being the CEO of the Lawrence Group, Steve is also the owner of the Moto Museum and Triumph Grill. The hotel will be located in the former Interiors Unlimited building, a five-story structure just east of Triumph. The project will give Midtown a place for our alumni, visiting parents and guests to stay as well as meet the needs of our expanding Midtown and Grand Center neighborhoods.

I've tried to go to the Annex twice now. Once last night - closed. Once tonight - closed for a private party of 17 ward democrats. Hopefully third time will be the charm.

Do they validate parking at Laclede or any other garage?

From Fr. Biondi's December letter:

Midtown Progress: During the past few months, I have spoken to a variety of community organizations that wanted to hear about the latest developments in Midtown St. Louis. I am always excited to share the good news about the development boom taking place in the neighborhoods that surround our St. Louis campus. The City Diner, which has been a favorite place to eat on South Grand, has partnered with the Fox Theatre to open a second location at the corner of North Grand and Washington Avenue. I hope you will support this new restaurant when it opens next month. In the past year alone five loft apartment building renovations, six new restaurants and four new businesses have opened around SLU. It is clear that Chaifetz Arena has become the beacon for progress in Midtown. It is also evident that the support and patronage of Midtown businesses by our SLU community has ensured that our neighborhood's resurgence will continue.

In 2010, SLU will once again contribute to Midtown in a more direct way. We have agreed to collaborate on the development of a boutique hotel with local developer Steve Smith. In addition to being the CEO of the Lawrence Group, Steve is also the owner of the Moto Museum and Triumph Grill. The hotel will be located in the former Interiors Unlimited building, a five-story structure just east of Triumph. The project will give Midtown a place for our alumni, visiting parents and guests to stay as well as meet the needs of our expanding Midtown and Grand Center neighborhoods.

Steve does good work, he developed the building that myself and another poster live in. I am glad to hear he is teaming with SLU to enhance midtown.

That's great news, Doc. Thanks for sharing. I noticed that the "for sale" sign was no longer on the building when I walked by the other night - I guess this is why!

Just so there's no confusion, this Steve Smith is different from the SLU alum Steve Smith who owns The Royale on Kingshighway.

I've tried to go to the Annex twice now. Once last night - closed. Once tonight - closed for a private party of 17 ward democrats. Hopefully third time will be the charm.

Do they validate parking at Laclede or any other garage?

They are not open on Monday or Tuesday to the public

I was happy to see that another City Diner was going in up by the Fox. I sure hope they do enough business there...

Now if they could just come through on the plans to put a Barnes and Noble in a retail space, at Lindell and Grand -- promised around 4-5 years ago, when they cleared that lot.

I was happy to see that another City Diner was going in up by the Fox. I sure hope they do enough business there...

Now if they could just come through on the plans to put a Barnes and Noble in a retail space, at Lindell and Grand -- promised around 4-5 years ago, when they cleared that lot.

Me too. I'm a City Diner fan.

I really wish they would have kept and renovated the Marina Building at Grand and Lindell instead of tearing it down for the lovely vacant lot we have now. I don't buy the story that it was too far gone to save.

I think Grand Center needs a lot more residents before a store like Barnes and Noble will be interested in opening a store there. I'm really hoping the Art House development becomes a reality once the economy picks up - it would be a great infill project that would hopefully lead to more in the future:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Left Bank Books downtown is pretty nice, you should check it out.

The Business Journal is reporting that SLU is moving information technology services, Business and Finance and Human Resources into the former Missouri state office building at 3545 Lindell (next to Vito's).

I was hoping it would be torn down as part of the larger development at Grand and Lindell that never came to fruition.

The Business Journal is reporting that SLU is moving information technology services, Business and Finance and Human Resources into the former Missouri state office building at 3545 Lindell (next to Vito's).

I was hoping it would be torn down as part of the larger development at Grand and Lindell that never came to fruition.

Hey Box, what is that website that moderate?

Gotta like the momentum Midtown is continuing to show...The area east of SLU on Lindell has really picked up, the 2 new bars just south of campus...the announcement of the opening of City Diner as well as the hotel SLU is proposing has really made this area up and coming. Now if SLU (Biondi) had a little bit of common sense, they would have never torn down that building at Lindell and Grand. What a disgrace that grass lot is...you would think Dewitt would have had a hand in that.

Gotta like the momentum Midtown is continuing to show...The area east of SLU on Lindell has really picked up, the 2 new bars just south of campus...the announcement of the opening of City Diner as well as the hotel SLU is proposing has really made this area up and coming. Now if SLU (Biondi) had a little bit of common sense, they would have never torn down that building at Lindell and Grand. What a disgrace that grass lot is...you would think Dewitt would have had a hand in that.

You dont like the Christmas tree on that grass lot? It is nicer than than the one in Kiener.

The DeWitt reference took me a minute, but it's pretty clever.

Y'all gotta read my blog -- I had the City Diner item about a month ago!

And don't forget the area to the west of campus, which is technically the CWE, but is still making strides. You've got Cafe Ventana open and the new Sicilian restaurant to be in the old mansion next to it; they still claim the Playboy Club will be a microbrewery; that big apartment and retail complex (with not much retail yet, but I expect it will) is up on the north side of Lindell where the Salad Bowl used to be; and, for what it's worth, the Lindell McDonald's is now state-of-the-art by McDonald's standards.

I hope they can figure out something non-destructive to do with the Caleco's/Pastori's spaces on Laclede (not to mention the inscrutable Fifth House). That residential idea that fell through wasn't awful, but I think they can do better.

they still claim the Playboy Club will be a microbrewery;

I ran by the old PC on Saturday, and there were signs that work was being done in the building. I have no idea how far along they are, but at least it looked somewhat encouraging.

I hope they can figure out something non-destructive to do with the Caleco's/Pastori's spaces on Laclede (not to mention the inscrutable Fifth House). That residential idea that fell through wasn't awful, but I think they can do better.

Agreed. I'd like to see new construction on the parking lot at Laclede and Vandeventer, but preserving the old BBC and Caleco's/Laclede St. Bar.

I'm afraid if it's not torn down, the Fifth House is going to be vacant for a VERY long time.