check out espn.com

willie

Jeff Sagarin has written a college basketball encyclopedia. He ranks programs for their all time play. Our Billikens clock in at number 53. I think we can thank Eddie Hickey for our relatively high ranking. Take that Xavier.

-wow, sagarin's formula is out there on this one imo

-for slu to be ahead of uconn, houston and unlv is quite an accomplishment for us!!!! ;)

-only 13 spots for the much debated top 40 program

Jeff Sagarin has written a college basketball encyclopedia. He ranks programs for their all time play. Our Billikens clock in at number 53. I think we can thank Eddie Hickey for our relatively high ranking. Take that Xavier.

Along with the Eddie Hickey factor, we've also never been terrible for an extended period of time (okay, maybe the '70s :mellow: ). I think we've only had 3 seasons with single-digit wins in the past 30 years or so...and only 1 in the past 17 or 18 years (the year of the Frericks and Bryant injuries).

-wow, sagarin's formula is out there on this one imo

-for slu to be ahead of uconn, houston and unlv is quite an accomplishment for us!!!! :mellow:

-only 13 spots for the much debated top 40 program

Memphis comes in at 61,interesting???

Does anyone think this ratings system is even close to accurate?

IF they did this for football who would be number 1?

Oklahoma,Texas,Nebraska,USC,Penn State, ND,Alabama??????

Wouldn't Ohio St. and some of the Florida schools also have to be in the picture?

Believe you'd be right about Ohio State (and I'd throw in Michigan and USC - because of their long histories) but not so sure about the Florida schools. I could be wrong but believe the Florida schools sorta came out of nowhere in the 1980s and, while they have dominated ever since then, I don't believe they have the long history on their side and therefore would not receive the high rankings many might expect. SLU's old, old history in basketball appears to be what lists us so high in their poll. Therefore, even though schools like Army and Navy have not had many good years in the last 40 years - like SLU -, they were quite strong prior and could probably receive a comparably high ranking in Football like SLU did in basketball. Just a thought.

Believe you'd be right about Ohio State (and I'd throw in Michigan and USC - because of their long histories) but not so sure about the Florida schools. I could be wrong but believe the Florida schools sorta came out of nowhere in the 1980s and, while they have dominated ever since then, I don't believe they have the long history on their side and therefore would not receive the high rankings many might expect. SLU's old, old history in basketball appears to be what lists us so high in their poll. Therefore, even though schools like Army and Navy have not had many good years in the last 40 years - like SLU -, they were quite strong prior and could probably receive a comparably high ranking in Football like SLU did in basketball. Just a thought.

Florida first became a good team in the '60s. They played in some bowl games, including the Sugar Bowl. Florida State was a women's teacher college when it began. They're the ones who really came alive in the '80s.

I'd agree with the teams already mentioned, and probably throw in schools like Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee.

Florida first became a good team in the '60s. They played in some bowl games, including the Sugar Bowl. Florida State was a women's teacher college when it began. They're the ones who really came alive in the '80s.

I'd agree with the teams already mentioned, and probably throw in schools like Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee.

I don't know about Florida but believe you. Miami was nothing until early 1980's and Howard Schnellenberger, right? Same with Florida State and Bobby Bowden, right?

I don't know about Florida but believe you. Miami was nothing until early 1980's and Howard Schnellenberger, right? Same with Florida State and Bobby Bowden, right?

Miami actually had a couple of very good seasons in the '50s and played in the Orange Bowl a couple of times, but fell back until Schnellenberger took over in '79 or '80 (I'm not really sure).

FSU played in some bowl games in the '60s and early '70s, but again didn't really rise until Bowden came on board.

You're pretty much correct about these two schools.

Fun fact: Burt Reynolds played football for FSU.