Brad Beal

I agree about the smoothness, I had the same problem when evaluating Scott Suggs. They just make it look so easy, it seems like they aren't capable of taking over. However, Beal proved me wrong and hopefully he has a different college experience (so far) than Scott Suggs.

In regards to the Kelvin Lee rumors, I was also surprised. I can't believe he would want to leave, which makes me think there is something we don't know.

when SLUH played chaminade at chaminade, Beal was very quiet. He wasnt forcing a lot of shots and didnt seem like he was dominating. Then I looked at the box score and he had 32 points. He has a little Tommie Liddell-esque qualities in that regard. If he grows an inch or two and gets stronger, I could certainly see him being a force.

But, I still dont think he can come in as a freshman and just dominate. He could be very good, but not dominant

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Beal is a difference maker. He is the type of kid that can come in from day one and change the game.The big question in regards to SLU would be - Would he have that opportunity? If they only need one scholarship his year that means they should be a veteran laden team, and he is the type of player that should be starting from Day 1 as a freshman, assuming he keeps progressing at this rate. Every tournament he has been in this season he has played in the championshp game and at the very least made the all tournament team and that is high school or in the summer. He has been selected to tryout for the U16 National team when he is young enough for the U15 team and he has an excellent shot of making the team. When the rankings come out he should be considered at the very least a top twenty player if not higher. He has the work ethic and personality to not only be a consensus all american but just maybe a national player of the year. Bottom line he is a winner.

Personally I think SLU should work their tales off to recruit him. Work every angle and get it done, because it is a recruiting trip you make on your way home from work. It doesn't cost them anything to recruit the kid it is simple and easy make sure he has tickets to every game access to every practice and just throw the doors open to him to build that relationship. It is not like they have to go to Minnesota to see him and plus you have a whole city of people constantly in his ear about SLU not to mention all of the sports loving Catholics. To me to recruit him and to do it aggressively is a no brainer. Now if SLU gets a verbal from a kid that they have a high regard for then they need to accept it and still recruit Beal. Because I am pretty sure they can figure out some sort of scholarship to give somebody or they can just take one away from a current player to make room for Beal, because from what I can tell he is the type of player you want on your squad he is a difference maker. One last thing it doesn't matter what UNC Florida Mizzou and so on have done will do or could do you just preach what Saint Louis University CAN and WILL do to make Brad the best player he can.

I agree about the smoothness, I had the same problem when evaluating Scott Suggs. They just make it look so easy, it seems like they aren't capable of taking over. However, Beal proved me wrong and hopefully he has a different college experience (so far) than Scott Suggs.

In regards to the Kelvin Lee rumors, I was also surprised. I can't believe he would want to leave, which makes me think there is something we don't know.

From what I understand secondhand, Kelvin is not the one who wants to leave and he has done nothing wrong. The story I heard doesn't make certain people involved with CCP look very good. I am not certain how accurate the story I heard is, so I will just leave it at that.

From what I understand secondhand, Kelvin is not the one who wants to leave and he has done nothing wrong. The story I heard doesn't make certain people involved with CCP look very good. I am not certain how accurate the story I heard is, so I will just leave it at that.

Since we only have one scholie to give , I would expect the staff is making BB a priority. RM doesn't need much of a backup plan or worry about filling as many roster spots as Romar and UB did when they struck out on the big namers. Assuming the two classes stay intact and we make some serious noise nationally in the '10-'11 season, maybe SLU will look more appealing to young Mr. Beal. I do like the way RM has handled his recruiting to this point. It seems he walks away quickly if the recruit does not express a sincere interest in SLU, which means he passes on the following type of response "well, maybe, but if UK or Duke offers no way." So instead he goes after kids who are primarily being wooed by upper mid majors and as fill ins for prominent BCS schools. But now showing some serious love to BB wouldn't be a bad tactic to my way of thinking. Since if he says no it's not like we're gonna be forced into a desperation signing ala Obi Won or Horace Dixon.

Huh?

Pretty sure Nark was saying that Beal shouldn't commit this early. The one thing Nark doesn't mention is that a Beal commitment this early to Kansas or any other school for that matter is non-binding so he could back out at any time but largely this will lock up a spot for him at KU. If he waits forever, KU may find another McDonalds All-American to play the same spot.

As to the facts about Harrellson, he committed during the fall before his senior year. Thats not exactly early for most players. Yes, he could have waited until the Spring to see what better options existed then Western Illinois but if he has a rough senior year or gets injured he could get nothing. Hundreds of kids face that decision all the time, otherwise they'd all be better off waiting until the Spring signing period.

Shoe. I re-read my post and had thought I made my comments in tongue-in-cheek manor but guess it didn't come across enough that way. I agree with Nark and can see absolutely no good in any kid commiting too early. Hopefully Beal (and his family/inner circle) truly understand that the phone calls, emails, visits, etc. won't stop with a non-binding verbal commitment. Also, too much negative can happen: coaches can leave, retire, have health problems, be the subject of recruiting violations and other scandals, etc. I just don't see the benefit of "commiting" ANYWHERE before a kid's Junior year.

Same with the Harrelson comments. Yes, he committed to Western IL before his Senior (not Junior) year but smart players know when to commit. If that means before your Senior year because you have played well your first 3 years and have had good/favorable exposure thru AAU the like, then great. As said before, Harrelson is simply not smart.

NH, the kid (Beal) is a Sophomore. Are you sure you are comparing Beal as a Sophomore to Larry Hughes as a Sophomore. If he is doing this well (and not only winning but carrying his team) as a Sophomore, I'd suggest we wait to see if or not he possesses some of those additional special skills that very few possess. Most of them come with more experience and maturity.

TJ. Let me be more direct. Other than coming on this Board to brag about your Jayhawks, what is your point? Obviously you have no inside information or anything to add. Instead, your comments can be read as being negtative to SLU and RM. "I don't think SLU has much of a chance this late in the game when he plans to commit very soon." I tried to seek an explanation from you before now when I directly question you. Are you implying that SLU and RM is only now deciding to recruit Beal? Why do you think KU was one of the first to recruit him? Do you really believe this coaching-speak: "Bill Self has made Beal his number 1 focus in his class." If Self even said this, no doubt he said the same about/to the other guys he has recruited as well. Guess you, as a Jayhawk fan, actually believe such.

Since we only have one scholie to give , I would expect the staff is making BB a priority. RM doesn't need much of a backup plan or worry about filling as many roster spots as Romar and UB did when they struck out on the big namers. Assuming the two classes stay intact and we make some serious noise nationally in the '10-'11 season, maybe SLU will look more appealing to young Mr. Beal. I do like the way RM has handled his recruiting to this point. It seems he walks away quickly if the recruit does not express a sincere interest in SLU, which means he passes on the following type of response "well, maybe, but if UK or Duke offers no way." So instead he goes after kids who are primarily being wooed by upper mid majors and as fill ins for prominent BCS schools. But now showing some serious love to BB wouldn't be a bad tactic to my way of thinking. Since if he says no it's not like we're gonna be forced into a desperation signing ala Obi Won or Horace Dixon.

By then it will be too late. That would be his senior year. He will probably commit to his choice no later than the summer after his junior year.

just a question,

IF beal is the equal of an up and coming larry hugheslike talent:

please tell me the examples in the last couple of rickma decades of head coaching has he even pursued a recruit of that magnitude and which one(s) did he land?

thanks in advance.

Shoe. I re-read my post and had thought I made my comments in tongue-in-cheek manor but guess it didn't come across enough that way. I agree with Nark and can see absolutely no good in any kid commiting too early. Hopefully Beal (and his family/inner circle) truly understand that the phone calls, emails, visits, etc. won't stop with a non-binding verbal commitment. Also, too much negative can happen: coaches can leave, retire, have health problems, be the subject of recruiting violations and other scandals, etc. I just don't see the benefit of "commiting" ANYWHERE before a kid's Junior year.

Same with the Harrelson comments. Yes, he committed to Western IL before his Senior (not Junior) year but smart players know when to commit. If that means before your Senior year because you have played well your first 3 years and have had good/favorable exposure thru AAU the like, then great. As said before, Harrelson is simply not smart.

NH, the kid (Beal) is a Sophomore. Are you sure you are comparing Beal as a Sophomore to Larry Hughes as a Sophomore. If he is doing this well (and not only winning but carrying his team) as a Sophomore, I'd suggest we wait to see if or not he possesses some of those additional special skills that very few possess. Most of them come with more experience and maturity.

TJ. Let me be more direct. Other than coming on this Board to brag about your Jayhawks, what is your point? Obviously you have no inside information or anything to add. Instead, your comments can be read as being negtative to SLU and RM. "I don't think SLU has much of a chance this late in the game when he plans to commit very soon." I tried to seek an explanation from you before now when I directly question you. Are you implying that SLU and RM is only now deciding to recruit Beal? Why do you think KU was one of the first to recruit him? Do you really believe this coaching-speak: "Bill Self has made Beal his number 1 focus in his class." If Self even said this, no doubt he said the same about/to the other guys he has recruited as well. Guess you, as a Jayhawk fan, actually believe such.

ClockTower Let me be more direct. I do have inside information to add and was adding to the thread involved. Now I don't know how I was being negative to SLU and RM when I stated that RM has filled his needs in the last two classes. I believe he has recruited very well and because of this he should go after a kid SLU hasn't normally gotten. Now my statement about this late in the game, he, his coach and people very close to him have said often said he plans to commit early and SLU according to Rivals is not in his top five. That would mean that SLU would have to close the gap awfully quickly. Personally, I would love to see Beal in a SLU uniform because this would force the area to take notice despite the awful A-10 TV contract. On your last point Bill Self made it clear that Xavier Henry was his top priority. Since he told Lance Stevenson to take a hike I guess he was telling the truth. Bill has spent more time on Beal than any other recruit in his class.

ClockTower Let me be more direct. I do have inside information to add and was adding to the thread involved. Now I don't know how I was being negative to SLU and RM when I stated that RM has filled his needs in the last two classes. I believe he has recruited very well and because of this he should go after a kid SLU hasn't normally gotten. Now my statement about this late in the game, he, his coach and people very close to him have said often said he plans to commit early and SLU according to Rivals is not in his top five. That would mean that SLU would have to close the gap awfully quickly. Personally, I would love to see Beal in a SLU uniform because this would force the area to take notice despite the awful A-10 TV contract. On your last point Bill Self made it clear that Xavier Henry was his top priority. Since he told Lance Stevenson to take a hike I guess he was telling the truth. Bill has spent more time on Beal than any other recruit in his class.

i hope beal is good enough to play ahead of those great walkons that kansas always has.

Roy, ***** kids can play for any team.

well sure........unless beal would decide to be a billiken then he wouldnt be as good as the jayhawk walkons.

well sure........unless beal would decide to be a billiken then he wouldnt be as good as the jayhawk walkons.

I only said that about two players not every Billiken player. In fact if you go back I said the new kids RM brought in will be much better players than those two kids.

I only said that about two players not every Billiken player. In fact if you go back I said the new kids RM brought in will be much better players than those two kids.

gosh i hope you are right. if all of next year's freshmen and sophomores all end up in as many all time billiken top ten lists and lisch and liddell man we are in for one hell of a climax.

Now my statement about this late in the game, he, his coach and people very close to him have said often said he plans to commit early and SLU according to Rivals is not in his top five.

So what is your definition of "early"? Before his Junior year? during his Junior year? before his Senior year?

Now my statement about this late in the game, he, his coach and people very close to him have said often said he plans to commit early and SLU according to Rivals is not in his top five.

So what is your definition of "early"? Before his Junior year? during his Junior year? before his Senior year?

[/quote

Who really cares what my definition of "early" is.

Remind me again what contribution you provide us in this thread..... that Beal will commit at some unknown time (believe you said "early" and want to leave it at that), that you think Beal will go to your favorite school - KU, that Rivals does not have SLU listed in Beal's Top 5. WOW!!! Thanks for the insight!! You sure have connections!! Next time, just preface your posts as saying that your inside connections consist of what you read on the Internet.

Remind me again what contribution you provide us in this thread..... that Beal will commit at some unknown time (believe you said "early" and want to leave it at that), that you think Beal will go to your favorite school - KU, that Rivals does not have SLU listed in Beal's Top 5. WOW!!! Thanks for the insight!! You sure have connections!! Next time, just preface your posts as saying that your inside connections consist of what you read on the Internet.

What a dumb response. I never said I had connections I said I had insight into the situation. Rivals is the best source on any medium when it comes to recruiting.

just a question,

IF beal is the equal of an up and coming larry hugheslike talent:

please tell me the examples in the last couple of rickma decades of head coaching has he even pursued a recruit of that magnitude and which one(s) did he land?

thanks in advance.

Beal does not have Hughes' length. Hughes does not have Beal's shot. But you can put me down for a 6'2 or so kid, he's the best St. Louis has had in a long time. Does he have the fire in his belly? We'll see.

What a dumb response. I never said I had connections I said I had insight into the situation. Rivals is the best source on any medium when it comes to recruiting.

ClockTower Let me be more direct. I do have inside information to add and was adding to the thread involved.

Also, Rivals sucks. Scout is much better.

Beal does not have Hughes' length. Hughes does not have Beal's shot. But you can put me down for a 6'2 or so kid, he's the best St. Louis has had in a long time. Does he have the fire in his belly? We'll see.

i didnt ask that. my question assumed he was that good.

i didnt ask that. my question assumed he was that good.

Oh I'm just throwing it out there. Hughes is more athletic, and longer. Beal has or will have better court vision and see the floor better and make better decisions than Hughes down the road.

It's a lot more challenging for a kid Beal's height and size, than Hughes' size. However, Beal imo will be a much more polished prospect in a couple of years than Hughes at similar times.

As long as Beal doesn't glide, commits to diet, fitness, and strength, and he has a fire in his belly, he'll do extremely well. He is already talented, a team player, unselfish, smart player, who can do several things well.

Beal has or will have better court vision and see the floor better and make better decisions than Hughes down the road.

So a high school soph/junior will be better than a 10-year NBA player? If you say so. I think the competition in the NBA might be slightly better, and the game might move a little faster.

You might be right, but I'll give it a little more time.

So a high school soph/junior will be better than a 10-year NBA player? If you say so. I think the competition in the NBA might be slightly better, and the game might move a little faster.

You might be right, but I'll give it a little more time.

I took it as Courtside was comparing to where Hughes was at the same age. I am sure he doesn't think he is better that a ten year pro. ;)

I took it as Courtside was comparing to where Hughes was at the same age. I am sure he doesn't think he is better that a ten year pro. ;)

You might be right. "Has or will have" doesn't really translate that way you read it, but you could be right. That said, Hughes would have most likely been drafted right out of high school if he had made himself eligible. While he was probably a little more athletic than Beal, it's still a bold statement. courtside also mentioned that Beal will be a more "polished" prospect than Hughes was at that time. Again, a bold statement. If Beal is being discussed as a top 10 or 15 NBA draft pick in two years, I'll certainly tip my cap to courtside.

I'm not convinced Beal is as good as Hughes, but he is a very good player.