SLU - LaSalle GDT

Well, that's not exactly how it happened. Two separate incidents. Refs stopped the game for an injured LaSalle player (after letting play go on earlier when Willie was injured) -- but the T came when Kwamain went in for a layup, got mugged by at least two LaSalle players, and no call. Rick almost tackled the ref and got a T. (Only 1 shot? I thought bench technicals were always 2. Oh, well -- the refs don't know the double-dribble rule, nor the cone rule for offensive goaltending, and that one benefited us because Green missed the free throw.)

For those who weren't there -- the Bills blew the lead on their own, with maybe three or four really horrific calls to help, but we again missed free throws and shots and our defense went to hell in the second half. However, even after falling behind by eight or maybe 10 with under three minutes to go, we got the chance to tie, and Kevin got an open look and threw up a gorgeous shot that did everything but go in.

Typical Billiken game/year. Luckily, it appears we can beat anyone in the league, so miracles are still possible.

Who were the refs? On La Salles Board one of their own commented about the refs saying: "And Kale always calls a biased game, but he does work for La Salle."

The refs were bad as usual, but the Bills blew this game on their own.

LaSalle hit their open looks and SLU didn't. Kwamain was great for most of the game, but forced shot or two when he should have been running the offense and missed a critical front end of a 1 and 1 (don't get me wrong - I'd still go to war with the kid). Willie had his moments but got banged up midway through the 2nd half and never really got back into the game. Kevin hit a big shot late to pull them back within 3, and had a heartbreaker rim out that would have tied it with under 30 to play. Tommie couldn't buy a basket for most of the game.

Just a miserable finish to an up and down season - on the plus side, some dude won $900 by swishing a 40 footer during a timeout - and 2 of the 3 halftime contestants hit layup/FT/3pt and launched half court shots with a chance to win a car - brought back memories of the ole Suziki shootout...

Lisch - sat out for quite a bit of the first half and the start of the second after injuring his left thigh or hip. He was limping noticeably when he came back in the second half.

Mitchell - hurt his left hand/wrist when diving for a ball on the floor and collided with a LaSalle player.

Reed - Looked like he took a shot in the "you know what".

I can't believe the refs stopped the action when #10 went down and we had a 5 on 4 break. Thought they always waited till your team had possession again before calling the TO.

Though it was at the other end of the court, it looked like the LaSalle coach got into it with a Blue Crew member when #10 was getting up off the floor. Did anyone else have a view of it?

Well, that's not exactly how it happened. Two separate incidents. Refs stopped the game for an injured LaSalle player (after letting play go on earlier when Willie was injured) -- but the T came when Kwamain went in for a layup, got mugged by at least two LaSalle players, and no call. Rick almost tackled the ref and got a T. (Only 1 shot? I thought bench technicals were always 2. Oh, well -- the refs don't know the double-dribble rule, nor the cone rule for offensive goaltending, and that one benefited us because Green missed the free throw.)

I thought he did shoot two - made the first, missed the second.

What an acting job by Green. Absolutely ridiculous.

For those of you who have been around longer than I have, have you ever seen one player booed every time he touched the ball like that? It was great.

I thought he did shoot two - made the first, missed the second.

What an acting job by Green. Absolutely ridiculous.

For those of you who have been around longer than I have, have you ever seen one player booed every time he touched the ball like that? It was great.

Green told Ruben on his facbook "Told u I had u!! " Power for the course with that acting job!

Totally unacceptable loss, period- you can't lose to equal or inferior teams on your home court if you want to play in a post-season tournament.

Save and sans for running the table in Atlantic City, post-season tournament hopes look bleak. We will know more when the new RPI figures are released today.

I was reduced to listening to internet radio- Bob and Earl. I could literally feel the momentum shift in that game. I had to go pick up my car, SLU led by 4 early in the second half, but my feeling was that SLU was again playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. I hoped I was wrong, but frankly, I expected to see the L pop up on my computer screen when I arrived back home. It did.

LaSalle is the opponent in Game 1 of the A-10 Tournament. Obviously, this is a winnable game. There was a reason SLU led at one point last night be 14 points. But SLU has to play to win, put the best players on the floor. And SLU's best players have to show up to play. Stop this 4 on 5, 3 on 5 rubbish. I want to see more from Liddell, more offense. SLU needs him. What has happened to Liddell? He has disappeared on offense, and now what's left of his shot is off.

Given that the only likely hope for post-season play is running the table in Atlantic City, and stealing an NCAA bid, and given that the Xavier roadblock would likely be faced at some point, it might well be better facing Xavier in Round 2, when the SLU team might be a little less tired, as opposed to later. That was the recipe for the 2000 9th seeded SLU team in the Miracle of Memphis, namely #1 Cincinnati in Round 2. Win there, and SLU knows it can win this thing.

Interesting that SLU lost 3 straight to the likes of St. Bona., Duquesne, and LaSalle, to close the regular season, isn't it?