Bernie Column

SluSignGuy

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...21?OpenDocument

St. Louis University showing improvement under Majerus

Bernie Miklasz

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

02/22/2009

Saturday night at Chaifetz Arena, we were treated to a sneak preview of St. Louis University basketball's future.

There was a full house of 10,603, representing an ideal mix of faithful, veteran alums and precocious, buzzing students. There was an intense and colorful game between SLU and visiting Dayton, and it played out at maximum wattage and volume.

There was a relentless and intelligent Billikens team, coached to near perfection by Rick Majerus, who knows a few things about educating players. And progress is clearly being made.

In his second season at SLU, Majerus has it going now. The Billikens are 17-10 overall and a surprising 8-5 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. Winning for the sixth time in the past seven games, SLU bumped off No. 25 Dayton 57-49. The Billikens played their hearts out, and the SLU pep band played their instruments out, and the fans hollered their lungs out, and it made for a grand theater of college basketball.

"You could have gone to any college basketball game in the nation tonight, and it wasn't any better than this," Majerus said.

The Chaifetz can be a special home for SLU. What a magnificent gift, given by the Rev. Lawrence Biondi, the SLU president. Biondi made sure the arena was built, and then he made sure to hire the right guy to build a program. And as much fun as we had Saturday night in midtown, it's even better to know that there will be many more thrilling nights, just like this one.

The SLU student body can really make a difference in creating the atmosphere that Majerus wants. When the kids turn out in large numbers, as they did Saturday, they raise the energy level throughout the building. And the older SLU fan base follows the students' lead, becomes more vocal and active. The Chaifetz was so loud and crazy Saturday that a longtime Billikens fan texted me and said, "This doesn't seem like a SLU game." And he was right; the sleepy days of Scottrade are close to being a thing of the past.

Majerus had only two complaints: He wanted the arena staff to allow the SLU students to frolic on the court as soon as the game ended. They were held back by security, who relented and let the kids run.

"I want to acknowledge the students again," Majerus said. "They did a great job. They gave us a big lift. How many times can they get out on the floor? We've got the police line out there. I was looking for the dogs from the Alabama days to bite them as they came through. We should have let them come on the court and enjoy themselves. For paying $46,000 (in tuition) they should. The players went back out. It means a lot to the players to have the students there."

The other grumble? Coach Rick wants the students to be more consistent in showing up. He wants this kind of presence for every game. So he may try to lure them with that standard bait that works on college campuses from coast to coast: free food.

"I've got to go find someone who will feed the students so they'll come again," Majerus said.

SLU pumped up an early 10-point lead, only to get worn out by Dayton's muscle, depth and aggressive play on the offensive boards. But instead of succumbing, the Billikens fought back. Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch, the senior standard bearers, each played 36 tough minutes and held their younger teammates together. The other senior, Barry Eberhardt, hit a big 3 late in the game.

The freshmen, meanwhile, were hustling all over the joint. Point guard Kwamain Mitchell, who couldn't hit a shot all evening, finally made a big one in the late stages: a driving layup and a foul for a free throw and three-point play. Dayton went after center Willie Reed and he blocked seven shots. Forward Brian Conkin took two charges and battled fiercely inside.

At times the Billikens had one senior on the floor surrounded by four freshmen. SLU has the fifth-youngest team in D-1. And the teacher will be doing even more teaching next season.

"It will be more interesting next year, because we'll have an all freshmen-sophomore team," Majerus said. "So we'll probably be the youngest team in the nation."

Majerus is truly happy at SLU, so those who were predicting an early flame-out and retirement had better revise the forecasts. Because when I talk to Majerus, he always babbles excitedly about SLU's future. He talks about how much he is enjoying coaching this group, and is jacked up by how he thinks his Bills will look in two seasons, when the current freshmen are juniors.

Majerus wasn't just brought in to coach SLU basketball. He was hired to change the entire basketball culture at SLU. And he vowed to get it done, realizing in advance that it would require the most strenuous effort of a superb coaching career. Saturday night, we saw ample evidence that Majerus is making good on the promise, and the mission.

Great article by BM. We need more like this, but we do need to earn them. I wasn't in the "Fire Brad" contingent, but I do recognize that Brad did not produce the quality of basketball that we hoped for. (I know he had less support from the Administration but, with his recruiting in the toilet, it didn't look like it was going to get much better anytime soon)

We need more press like this, HOWEVER, it's a shame that this column didn't make it into the paper-at least not mine. I looked for this in both Sunday and Monday's paper and all I could find in print was a column by BM on Mizzou and Mike Anderson. While they are doing great and deserve the P-D's coverage, I would have thought that Bernie's col. on SLU would have also made the print edition. Frankly I am getting tired of reading the TT post-game articles that pretty much amount to nothing more than a play-by-play review of certain periods of the game. I could write those.

Isn't it time for some background piece(s) on the new players? We really don't know much about KM, BC, WR, BT and KC. Now that they have helped produce an obvious turnaround for our program it would be nice for TT to do some research into their HS backgrounds and how they happened to wind up at SLU-I know RM won't let FR talk to the media, but I think this info could be gotten by a few phone calls. I am pretty certain that we would not have any of those 5, with the possible exception of BT, on the roster this year without RM as the HC.

I also found it interesting that Bernie identified "Biondi"as a priest instead of his usual manner.

Nice article, Bernie---thanks.

Great article by BM. We need more like this, but we do need to earn them. I wasn't in the "Fire Brad" contingent, but I do recognize that Brad did not produce the quality of basketball that we hoped for. (I know he had less support from the Administration but, with his recruiting in the toilet, it didn't look like it was going to get much better anytime soon)

We need more press like this, HOWEVER, it's a shame that this column didn't make it into the paper-at least not mine. I looked for this in both Sunday and Monday's paper and all I could find in print was a column by BM on Mizzou and Mike Anderson. While they are doing great and deserve the P-D's coverage, I would have thought that Bernie's col. on SLU would have also made the print edition. Frankly I am getting tired of reading the TT post-game articles that pretty much amount to nothing more than a play-by-play review of certain periods of the game. I could write those.

Isn't it time for some background piece(s) on the new players? We really don't know much about KM, BC, WR, BT and KC. Now that they have helped produce an obvious turnaround for our program it would be nice for TT to do some research into their HS backgrounds and how they happened to wind up at SLU-I know RM won't let FR talk to the media, but I think this info could be gotten by a few phone calls. I am pretty certain that we would not have any of those 5, with the possible exception of BT, on the roster this year without RM as the HC.

I also found it interesting that Bernie identified "Biondi"as a priest instead of his usual manner.

Nice article, Bernie---thanks.

Bernie's Sunday column was on the front page of my edition. They also had a side note about KM getting his second straight A10 Rookie of the week award.

Guest BillikenReport

I am pretty certain that we would not have any of those 5, with the possible exception of BT, on the roster this year without RM as the HC.

Brad had a lot to do with the recruiting of Brett Thompson. This was reiterated to me on Saturday night by Brett's mom.

Willie Reed was also a kid Soderberg had targeted and then Angres Thorpe continued to recruit after the coaching change.

Brad had a lot to do with the recruiting of Brett Thompson. This was reiterated to me on Saturday night by Brett's mom.

Willie Reed was also a kid Soderberg had targeted and then Angres Thorpe continued to recruit after the coaching change.

nate huge props to you for making that acknowledgement knowing your previous background on your dislike of soderberg.

Guest BillikenReport

nate huge props to you for making that acknowledgement knowing your previous background on your dislike of soderberg.

I don't have a dislike of Soderberg. Just because I was critical of his recruiting doesn't mean I don't like the guy.

I was also on 1380 AM recently and when asked how SLU found a guy like Willie Reed, I said that Brad Soderberg and Angres Thorpe got the recruiting process started with him and then Majerus sealed the deal.

I don't have a dislike of Soderberg. Just because I was critical of his recruiting doesn't mean I don't like the guy.

I was also on 1380 AM recently and when asked how SLU found a guy like Willie Reed, I said that Brad Soderberg and Angres Thorpe got the recruiting process started with him and then Majerus sealed the deal.

Well, thanks, Brad. I'd put that on my resume if I were you. In all seriousness, that's great that he found him and worked him while he could. But Majerus will take him to heights that Soderberg and almost any other coach never could.

Brad was a good coach. He made nice houses with the lumber he could scrounge up, but they were nothing special and eventually, we had to get a new architect. Majerus appears to build with oak, and his designs are pretty snazzy, too. Too bad they have to cut him out of the house once he's finished. :rolleyes:

F Bernie!!!

How soon he jumps on onboard!!!!! It is pretty pathetic that he praises them now that his radio show and station is going down the shitter.

Uh, Bernie works for the Post not SLU. I don't think anyone on here is surprised that he wrote an article about the Billikens now that they're peaking. That's kind of what writers do. We should be happy with the attention. I thought it was a great piece.

brad sucked. nice guy, great person, horrible d-1 coach and recruiter. i lead the fire brad contingent so i think you should all thank me, at least in part, for the success we are now enjoying.

that aside, great article in the PD. slu did earn it and the way we have been playing, we deserve even more coverage. just like rick has said, it will take awhile to change the culture at slu and st. louis towards accepting slu basketball. i think we can all agree the tide is starting to turn. now as i get my taste back for that delicious blue kool-aid, i'm praying they don't let us down again!

brad sucked. nice guy, great person, horrible d-1 coach and recruiter. i lead the fire brad contingent so i think you should all thank me, at least in part, for the success we are now enjoying.

Brad didn't suck. He was not a horrible d-1 coach. His recruiting was mixed, but mostly below average.

Based on your posts here, it wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the morons that let fly with a lot of vitriolic statements re: Brad.

I wanted a new coach, but there is no need to trample on the man's grave.

Brad didn't suck. He was not a horrible d-1 coach. His recruiting was mixed, but mostly below average.

Based on your posts here, it wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the morons that let fly with a lot of vitriolic statements re: Brad.

-i heard frank mention a couple weeks ago that UB is lobbying hard for the semo job

Good response. I second your thoughts.

that aside, great article in the PD. slu did earn it and the way we have been playing, we deserve even more coverage. just like rick has said, it will take awhile to change the culture at slu and st. louis towards accepting slu basketball. i think we can all agree the tide is starting to turn. now as i get my taste back for that delicious blue kool-aid, i'm praying they don't let us down again!

i thought metz did that. you arent saying..........

Brad is a good basketball coach. Even the average Joe on the street could figure that out. He had flaws running SLU's program, but he knows basketball and coaches it just fine.

Brad is a good basketball coach. Even the average Joe on the street could figure that out. He had flaws running SLU's program, but he knows basketball and coaches it just fine.

there's a difference between being a good coach and a d-1 level coach. there are plenty of great high school coaches out there who aren't d-1 coaches. i'm sure there are plenty of great d-3 and d-2 coaches out there who would make terrible d-1 coaches. its just a different style. brad didn't have it. we have to be realistic about that. seperate the guy from the job and you brad lovers may start to understand.

roy, i lead the civil fire brad campaign, not the frankly disturbing one led by metz.

i'm glad we have a d-1 capable coach. this program has been missing it for some time. its an exciting time to be a billiken fan.

there's a difference between being a good coach and a d-1 level coach. there are plenty of great high school coaches out there who aren't d-1 coaches. i'm sure there are plenty of great d-3 and d-2 coaches out there who would make terrible d-1 coaches. its just a different style. brad didn't have it. we have to be realistic about that. seperate the guy from the job and you brad lovers may start to understand.

roy, i lead the civil fire brad campaign, not the frankly disturbing one led by metz.

i'm glad we have a d-1 capable coach. this program has been missing it for some time. its an exciting time to be a billiken fan.

Brad is a good D-1 level coach. I've now been called a Brad lover and Brad hater in the same week.

Just of curiosity, what is the "different style" of which you speak?

Brad is a good D-1 level coach. I've now been called a Brad lover and Brad hater in the same week.

Just of curiosity, what is the "different style" of which you speak?

different style: recruiting (far and away #1 difference), play calling (brad's aversion to running a fast break), player management, game plans (you ain't playin northeastern iowa a&m). i just don't see how you could call brad a good d-1 level coach. what are you basing it on? don't confuse my dislike for him as a coach as a dislike for him as a person. i think he was a good guy, took care of his players, met with blue crew, blah blah blah.

different style: recruiting (far and away #1 difference), play calling (brad's aversion to running a fast break), player management, game plans (you ain't playin northeastern iowa a&m). i just don't see how you could call brad a good d-1 level coach. what are you basing it on? don't confuse my dislike for him as a coach as a dislike for him as a person. i think he was a good guy, took care of his players, met with blue crew, blah blah blah.

Recruiting isn't coaching, and you said he was a horrible "Coach." Brad is a solid x's and o's coach. That wasn't his problem. He had some minor coaching deficiencies, as do many coaches, but coaching D-1 players wasn't his problem.

• 10 years later...