Lorenzini's

STCBILLFAN

Has anyone eaten there and if so how was the food/price?

The food is beyond bad. The only time I had a real meal there, I ordered the prime rib - rare - and was told that the only way they serve meat is medium or more cooked - they didn't want any lawsuits from undercooked meat. They charge premium prices for mediocre food. The Fetz is now surrounded by decent alternatives. I would be glad to see L's become a Pasta House restaurant - standardized fare at reasonable prices. It's current incarnation sucks. Hoping to have Bonwich chime in...

We ate there for the first time tonight. We had the buffet which was not good. It was $18.99. Consisted of a very basic salad bar, pulled pork on a bun, green beans, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, and a sandwich bar. The bun for the pulled pork was stale to the touch and the pork was not hot nor was it very good. A macaroni salad frorm the salad bar didn't taste right. I had a piece of fried chicken and it was too dry to eat. We each had a glass of wine and with tip the bill was $60 for two. You can order items off the menu if you have time and probably they would be better because they were freshly prepared. The highest price entre on the limited menu was $34. The wine list contained no wines.

The atmosphere is nice but not at all elegant, no tablecloths, etc. Oh, there was desert which was cookies and brownies. I had a cookie and it was very good. If I ever go back I would probably order off the menu. With so many good choices right in the area at much better prices and better food the University will have to make some adjustments. At first I was a little resentful I was not entitled to use the dining facility because I do not donate $10,000 or more per year. They have since changed the level to $3,000. I am no longer resentful. It is nothing to brag about at this point. They have obviously overvalued this fan benefit and I would be surprised if there haven't been operating losses.

We ate there for the first time tonight. We had the buffet which was not good. It was $18.99. Consisted of a very basic salad bar, pulled pork on a bun, green beans, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, and a sandwich bar. The bun for the pulled pork was stale to the touch and the pork was not hot nor was it very good. A macaroni salad frorm the salad bar didn't taste right. I had a piece of fried chicken and it was too dry to eat. We each had a glass of wine and with tip the bill was $60 for two. You can order items off the menu if you have time and probably they would be better because they were freshly prepared. The highest price entre on the limited menu was $34. The wine list contained no wines.

The atmosphere is nice but not at all elegant, no tablecloths, etc. Oh, there was desert which was cookies and brownies. I had a cookie and it was very good. If I ever go back I would probably order off the menu. With so many good choices right in the area at much better prices and better food the University will have to make some adjustments. At first I was a little resentful I was not entitled to use the dining facility because I do not donate $10,000 or more per year. They have since changed the level to $3,000. I am no longer resentful. It is nothing to brag about at this point. They have obviously overvalued this fan benefit and I would be surprised if there haven't been operating losses.

One of the big problems is that it isn't like a restaurant where there is a regular staff and it's open most days. In effect, each game is a catered affair and there may be different people in the kitchen each time. So I would think the menu will always be made up of the basic stuff.

I don't mind attendance being restricted to Billiken Club members who give a certain amount. But opening it to more members and providing good quality at reasonable prices, as you mentioned, would boost its popularity. Then again I have no way to judge what the overhead for a place like that would be and what it takes to break even.

I don't know from Lorenzini's and doubt I'll ever eat there. However, I do know that Coach is a fan of at least three of the newer restaurants in Midtown Alley, each or all of which could easily bring over catering for Lorenzini's -- and it would be good food.

Joe.

Which three?

I think SLU has made a big mistake with how they've set up admission policy.

I've eaten there once and it was 10% occupied -- if that.

Lorenzini's should be THE place to gather before games. Full of pre-game excitement. Video showing recent Billiken highlights. Pictures of all Billiken greats. Video highlights from previous years. Coming to fever pitch as game time approaches. Much like the feel during the Chaifetz Open House. The place to be.

It is none of that. It has the mood of a dreary funeral home.

It's too bad because it has a modern layout, the bar area is trendy, Anheuser-Busch dropped north of six figures into the beer/tap equipment -- all state of the art. It has the potential to burst with Billiken energy -- if they'd only let it.

My position isn't that every tom, dick and harry should walk right in. But any season ticket holder should have access. There should be pre-game promotions there. Eventually, you'll have to call a week ahead of time for reservations. Excitement should spill out to the seats as the pre-game intros are made.

Ramsey and Earl could do post-game show from there. Stays open for a couple hours post-game to revel in another win.

I know the theme of the board today seems to be to never discuss any program other than SLU, but Xavier has a pretty decent model for the pre-game meal scene. They use the banquet/conference room at the end of the arena (through the windows at the end of the arena, on the same level as the concourse) and make it a pre-game room for season ticket holders. There is an usher that scans tickets at the door to ensure that only season ticket holders can get in. It opens 90 minutes before game time and closes at tip-off.

They set up a few beer and soda stands, as well as stands for Skyline Chili (coneys only), LaRosa's Pizza, and a barbecue place. The room has space and seating for several hundred and it normally gets pretty close to full before each game. The food is the same price as out on the concourse, and I think the items are all things you can find out in the concourse, too.

The atmosphere, food, and drink are nothing special, but they're keeping that season ticket holder money in house. The other difference is that there aren't many other options around the Cintas Center and Xavier's Campus. There's a decent on-campus bar, Ryan's Pub (mostly students and hard to sit unless you get there over an hour before tip), and a couple bar-restaurants a few blocks north of the arena, but nothing else without driving a little ways.

So I'm not sure if I'd rather have a place in the arena for all season ticket holders, not that Chaifetz has room anyway, or keep it the way it is now, with the booming restaurant scene around campus. I guess there are plusses and minuses to both.

I know the theme of the board today seems to be to never discuss any program other than SLU, but Xavier has a pretty decent model for the pre-game meal scene. They use the banquet/conference room at the end of the arena (through the windows at the end of the arena, on the same level as the concourse) and make it a pre-game room for season ticket holders. There is an usher that scans tickets at the door to ensure that only season ticket holders can get in. It opens 90 minutes before game time and closes at tip-off.

They set up a few beer and soda stands, as well as stands for Skyline Chili (coneys only), LaRosa's Pizza, and a barbecue place. The room has space and seating for several hundred and it normally gets pretty close to full before each game. The food is the same price as out on the concourse, and I think the items are all things you can find out in the concourse, too.

The atmosphere, food, and drink are nothing special, but they're keeping that season ticket holder money in house. The other difference is that there aren't many other options around the Cintas Center and Xavier's Campus. There's a decent on-campus bar, Ryan's Pub (mostly students and hard to sit unless you get there over an hour before tip), and a couple bar-restaurants a few blocks north of the arena, but nothing else without driving a little ways.

So I'm not sure if I'd rather have a place in the arena for all season ticket holders, not that Chaifetz has room anyway, or keep it the way it is now, with the booming restaurant scene around campus. I guess there are plusses and minuses to both.

Xavier does a lot of things better than SLU at this point, and one of those things is definitely serving Skyline at games.

That being said, with the general improvement of the area around SLU, there is far more to do right off-campus than at X and I personally prefer to support those types of establishments. If SLU were to have Pappy's or Vito's set up a booth inside the stadium, I would be happy to oblige.

I think SLU has made a big mistake with how they've set up admission policy.

I've eaten there once and it was 10% occupied -- if that.

Lorenzini's should be THE place to gather before games. Full of pre-game excitement. Video showing recent Billiken highlights. Pictures of all Billiken greats. Video highlights from previous years. Coming to fever pitch as game time approaches. Much like the feel during the Chaifetz Open House. The place to be.

It is none of that. It has the mood of a dreary funeral home.

It's too bad because it has a modern layout, the bar area is trendy, Anheuser-Busch dropped north of six figures into the beer/tap equipment -- all state of the art. It has the potential to burst with Billiken energy -- if they'd only let it.

My position isn't that every tom, dick and harry should walk right in. But any season ticket holder should have access. There should be pre-game promotions there. Eventually, you'll have to call a week ahead of time for reservations. Excitement should spill out to the seats as the pre-game intros are made.

Ramsey and Earl could do post-game show from there. Stays open for a couple hours post-game to revel in another win.

I don't know from Lorenzini's and doubt I'll ever eat there. However, I do know that Coach is a fan of at least three of the newer restaurants in Midtown Alley, each or all of which could easily bring over catering for Lorenzini's -- and it would be good food.

I've seen coach at Fountain on Locust (yeah, I go there often) and noticed that the special the last time I was there was "Coach Majerus Chili," which I'm guessing is his mom's famous recipe.

EDIT: Just noticed that you posted about this in a separate thread.

One of the big problems is that it isn't like a restaurant where there is a regular staff and it's open most days. In effect, each game is a catered affair and there may be different people in the kitchen each time. So I would think the menu will always be made up of the basic stuff.

I don't mind attendance being restricted to Billiken Club members who give a certain amount. But opening it to more members and providing good quality at reasonable prices, as you mentioned, would boost its popularity. Then again I have no way to judge what the overhead for a place like that would be and what it takes to break even.

food on buffet is okay but a little over priced; wait staff is very poor and you get the impression that it is all absentee management. There is no personal charm or enthusiasm-everything is tentative. It is not that the service is slow as it mostly a buffet but no one is engaging. There appears to be no host or hostess to accommodate the newly arrived guests.

I've been there once before a game and for 2 Billiken club events. Unless it is drastically changed I won't eat or drink there unless an event is being held there like Billiken Club. Last meeting i brought my own water.

Xavier does a lot of things better than SLU at this point, and one of those things is definitely serving Skyline at games.

I have never understood the Skyline thing. it is not bad but I never got people's fascination with it. Another Cinci thing that always seemed to be raved about and I didn't get was Graeters ice cream. Again not bad but not any better than the Breyers ice cream I can get at any store in America.

I have never understood the Skyline thing. it is not bad but I never got people's fascination with it. Another Cinci thing that always seemed to be raved about and I didn't get was Graeters ice cream. Again not bad but not any better than the Breyers ice cream I can get at any store in America.

I think we can safely say that skyline is not real chili.

In 2010 write us and tell us where to go to eat if the Bills travel to Carbondale. We usually just eat game food and I think it was passable.

In 2010 write us and tell us where to go to eat if the Bills travel to Carbondale. We usually just eat game food and I think it was passable.

Like I said in the game thread this year. Go to 17th St. Bar and Grill in Murphysboro. Best pulled pork and ribs in the US according to The Travel Channel, The Food Network and several other publications.

you are killing me smalls

Skyline - meh.

Graeter's - yeah! I love that place. The best thing about Graeter's is the soft chunks of chocolate in the ice cream. Good stuff. In Cincy, UDF actually has pretty good ice cream for a lot cheaper too.

Skyline - meh.

Graeter's - yeah! I love that place. The best thing about Graeter's is the soft chunks of chocolate in the ice cream. Good stuff. In Cincy, UDF actually has pretty good ice cream for a lot cheaper too.

The chocolate is real good, I don't think it is bad, I just never understood the love of it that people from Cinci spew. I am not a big fan of Ted Drewes either though.