Season Tickets

willie

Just heard an add on 1380 offering 2 Billiken season tickets for $790. I'm sure that will piss some people off. I'm glad they are trying to fill the building.

I agree. It's only $110. less than season ticket holders paid for a pair and I'm sure they are only the green seats that no one chose. Whatever it takes, lets get the place full on a nightly basis.

Selling the worst seats in the building for $450 per seat for a team that has yet to win is a nearly impossible task. Throw into the mix that the Sales Office does not have Missouri State this year, that the season/building opener against Division II UMSL, that we lack a real marquee home game, that we have four (4) home games in a row against unkowns Savannah State, Samford, USC Upstate and Liberty and that we have home/away with Richmond and Duquesne in lieu of Xavier and it is no wonder that we are giving away everything from free food (hotdogs, soda, nacho, etc) to lowering the price of the tickets.

Not complaining that we must not do something to fill the building - everyone's goal. Instead, I again question the wisdom of the entire Chaveitz ticket pricing, arena fees, etc. Why did someone not realize that $450 for the worst seats would not work?

Oh, I forget, we've already decided that SLU did a great job with everything relating to the new Chaveitz and that our schedule really is a good one. :lol:

My, you're almost as grumpy as I usually get about SLU athletic marketing.

This time, however, I'm not all that upset at how it played out. Sure, they had a $450 "list" price on the "worst" seats, but now they're doing a Priceline.com on them and slowly lowering the price until they fill the building. (I'm on record for inaugurating a $5 game-day walk-up ticket for any remaining seats.)

The business question is, do you think they would have sold any more season tickets in the initial round if they'd had, say, a $225 top end-zone ticket? I don't think the marginal sales would have been much higher.

In any event, aren't we under 2 weeks to the first practice?

This time, however, I'm not all that upset at how it played out. Sure, they had a $450 "list" price on the "worst" seats, but now they're doing a Priceline.com on them and slowly lowering the price until they fill the building. (I'm on record for inaugurating a $5 game-day walk-up ticket for any remaining seats.)

The business question is, do you think they would have sold any more season tickets in the initial round if they'd had, say, a $225 top end-zone ticket? I don't think the marginal sales would have been much higher.

You're right about my grumpiness. :lol: Guess 4 soccer games, 2 hockey practices and 3 birthdays/parties in 1 weekend takes its toll. :P

From a PR standpoint, though, I would have had more time between season ticket holders paying for their full price tickets and the free food. Now, discounting the worst seats a little over a month prior to the season is not a bad idea -- most likely needed -- but also, IMO, is not going to sell many tickets. At $340, the price is still quite high for the casual fan. In fact, I believe that would still be double to last year's cheapest ticket.

Regarding the need to discount price in this economy, and by comparison, the Blues are doing their Priceline thing for their 10 game package (1/4 a season) but while both the Bills and the Blues can honestly state that their teams are full of young, up-and-coming players, the Blues competition is still the best - NHL teams. SLU's opposition is not anywhere close to the top of college basketball.

I would hope that we can sell the remaining tickets are more than $5 per game but do like the idea. We do need to get more butts in the seats.

While we're at it, I still don't know why all SLU season ticket holders are not given the right to purchase post-season tickets. Just hope that I get priority over the guy paying $5 per seat while eating his free hotdog.

You're right about my grumpiness. :lol: Guess 4 soccer games, 2 hockey practices and 3 birthdays/parties in 1 weekend takes its toll. :P

From a PR standpoint, though, I would have had more time between season ticket holders paying for their full price tickets and the free food. Now, discounting the worst seats a little over a month prior to the season is not a bad idea -- most likely needed -- but also, IMO, is not going to sell many tickets. At $340, the price is still quite high for the casual fan. In fact, I believe that would still be double to last year's cheapest ticket.

Regarding the need to discount price in this economy, and by comparison, the Blues are doing their Priceline thing for their 10 game package (1/4 a season) but while both the Bills and the Blues can honestly state that their teams are full of young, up-and-coming players, the Blues competition is still the best - NHL teams. SLU's opposition is not anywhere close to the top of college basketball.

I would hope that we can sell the remaining tickets are more than $5 per game but do like the idea. We do need to get more butts in the seats.

While we're at it, I still don't know why all SLU season ticket holders are not given the right to purchase post-season tickets. Just hope that I get priority over the guy paying $5 per seat while eating his free hotdog.

That's not a bad idea. Give season ticket holders the opportunity to buy single game seats first at a discounted rate ... say $15-$20 per ticket.

-getting the bldg full to me is an obvious goal

-slu used to have grade school games before their games at the arena

--i guess pregame things are different now, but maybe on some of the nights you give local catholic schools the chance to play each other afer the slu game

-you get a team from ballwin to play a team from collinsville, give them 14 tickets a piece (players and 2 coaches) and hope 28 moms and dads buy 56 tickets to see little johnny on the Chaifetz floor

-maybe this exposes these kids to slu, they like the experience, maybe attend slu, maybe the next larry comes from this

-also, slu used to have a grade school tourney at west pine, that was cool also, wonder if they could do that in Chaifetz at some point? i think that was 8th grade and over Christmas

-just ways to build exposure to the U and the program and maybe increase the fan base (but be careful what you wish for, i sort of came from this avenue)

-if rick could say hello to them for 90 seconds, who knows

-and if the dance team would......

You think the hot-dog promotion (about a $1 cost for SLU) which came out in mid September was too early but the current promotion less than a month later (saving about $3 per ticket) is not doing enough. Season tickets were purchased in June so how much longer should they have waited for the hot-dog promotion?

I'm not sure what you mean about season ticket holders not being given the right to purchases post-season tics. Anyone can buy A-10 tourney tics and they only so have so many NCAA tics. Its been so long since we went to the dance its hard to remember the process but it used to go by Billiken Club priority and I suspect would again.

That's an interesting question. If they wanted to do a little research they could have gotten the answer to your question (maybe they did). There's more to it than just ticket price. People in the building may also spend extra bucks on concessions, etc.

You also have to consider if it's more important to the program to make the most money possible or get the most people in the building.

If there are extra tickets available I'd like to see some way to get them in the hands of students (provided they're interested enough to show up).

You think the hot-dog promotion (about a $1 cost for SLU) which came out in mid September was too early but the current promotion less than a month later (saving about $3 per ticket) is not doing enough. Season tickets were purchased in June so how much longer should they have waited for the hot-dog promotion?

Ticket money was due middle of August and within 2 weeks of paying, SLU started the promotions.

I'm not sure what you mean about season ticket holders not being given the right to purchases post-season tics. Anyone can buy A-10 tourney tics and they only so have so many NCAA tics. Its been so long since we went to the dance its hard to remember the process but it used to go by Billiken Club priority and I suspect would again.

Read the benefits of being paying high level Billiken Club fees. If I recall correctly, nearly $3,000 gets you post season tickets.

i sure hope we dont see single tix sales down in the blue and gold sections. if we do, hopefully they go for a premium not a discount.

if they are still open, i would rather fill those open center court seats with slu students dressed in billiken blue than have some one time gawker sitting there with his mi$$ouri sweater on.