According to Dan Ceasar -- SLU still doesn't have a radio deal

davidnark

While it does suck that we don't have a radio contract yet this close to the season, it would be great to be on an FM station! A 100,000 watt station can reach parts of about 40 counties, just like the one I used to work at. That certainly beats a station that can't even be heard throughout the whole city. Let's hope it works out! Although, if they don't switch to all sports until Jan. 1, does that mean our first two months of the season wouldn't be on the air?

With the advent of internet radio, I think the reach of the station is of less concern (although something to consider). What we get from the radio station is promotion throughout the week. Which station will best promote the Billikens? That's the key question I believe. We have no idea with 101. There is just some vague talk about changing the format of the station to sports with no particulars as to the on-air personalities or any idea what sort of market share they will pull.

I suppose the radio stations are waiting for this thing to pan out, but SLU really can't be on 101.1 because they don't start until January. The longer it takes, the harder it gets to line up advertising. I really don't know who's at fault here, I'd just like to see something get done.

If SLU would strike a deal with Bonneville regarding 101.1, i would think they would have coverage for the whole year on that station and just interrupt the music. The only negative (if this would happen) is if 101.1 lands the Blues or Rams next year, then we would then be moved somewhere else on the dial for the big boys.

Why has SLU never outsourced sports properties to someone like Learfield or ISP Sports to handle radio. It seems the last couple of years radio has been a last minute situation.

If SLU would strike a deal with Bonneville regarding 101.1, i would think they would have coverage for the whole year on that station and just interrupt the music. The only negative (if this would happen) is if 101.1 lands the Blues or Rams next year, then we would then be moved somewhere else on the dial for the big boys.

Why has SLU never outsourced sports properties to someone like Learfield or ISP Sports to handle radio. It seems the last couple of years radio has been a last minute situation.

Exactly. Bonneville currently owns 101.1, so there isn't anything preventing them from broadcasting SLU games on the station this year. In fact, between Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve their plan is to broadcast holiday music, not the "movin" music.

Here is some rumored information from some local radio media blogger named Mike Anderson:

101 will air at least two major dayparts with local talent and the rest will be ESPN syndication, at least initially. I know who the morning and afternoon drive talents will be and I've spoken or corresponded with many others who have interviewed for positions on the station.

101 will sign the Rams as their first PxP team (CC is so eager to get out of that contract on KLOU you can't believe it), and will go after the Cardinals, who have NO loyalty to Tim Dorsey's KTRS/AM550. You can't be a REAL sports station with fewer than two PxP deals.

101 will finally force the idiots at Big League Broadcasting out of the market and crawling back to their Tennessee homebase, pillaging as many of the decent sports talent from that mess as they can, for whatever part-time use they can put them to. As for Simmons, who knows?

101 will throw Christmas music into the mix as soon as they reasonably can, tossing the station into the Holiday Hoo-Hah and effectively cancelling out the KEZK Christmas advantage

Good point. I forgot the ownership group was staying the same.