If I heard it right

lefty

I came in on the middle of a conversation on 1380 radio but it appears we will not play Southwest Missouri State next year beginning a rotation of playing Carbondale one year and Southwest the next. Didn't hear anything on how the home-away would be handled. The argument was that we shouldn't play two teams from that conference in the same year. Do these guys know what they're talking about on this ? It's Harry somebody and Brian Stull(sp?) Listening to them occasionally, they're pretty weak and not very knowledgeable but they seemed sure this was fact. Would appreciate more info.

it may or may not be true but I do know there are going to be a bunch of changes in the way we schedule going forward. Brad has stated a couple of times that he believes we are going to an 18 game schedule in the A-10. That leaves only 9 games to be played out of conference unless we play in an exempt tournament. Since they need to play 3-4 "buy" games (I say need because if you play a home and home with somebody you don't get the revenue from selling 9,000 tickets to the home game even if only half the people show up...this is economic reality folks). That leaves only 5-6 games that can be played against quality teams from other conferences. Since the games within the A-10 are not likely to benefit the RPI the way CUSA games do we will have to make the 5-6 games as strong as possible from an RPI standpoint. This years SIUC team not withstanding, playing 2 MVC teams makes this hard. Add in the possibility of playing some of our former CUSA conference mates (Marquette, Depaul) on an annual basis and there just aren't many games left to be had.

Please, before any Mizzou yahoo comes on here and says SLU is ducking these teams so why should we play SLU argument, please notice that when you play in the Big 12 you don't need to worry about the RPI nearly as much in your non-conference games as you do when you play in the A-10 (see Oklahoma State). You would be comparing two different situations. And if you really think altering every year is ducking than I suggest Mizzou set up an alternating series with SMS and SLU every year. That would make everybody happy.

i am not saying that it is false information, but harry and stull are clueless when it comes to college basketball and the billikens in particular. i have had a few rounds with them on the mvc vs the a-10 thing and they just dont get it. a lot of what you probably heard today is their mvc blood coming out. harry is a bigtime mvc guy. stull just disrespects slu in general.

the last i heard was that we were just trying to make sure that siu and sms were not home or away the same year. nothing has ever been said that we would only play one or the other. my understanding was that next year we would play sms at the savvis and siu in carbondale. the next year reversed, etc.