Season reflections

bauman

Disagree. Last year, "V" was a very strong post player, double teamed, got reb's, good hands, this year we had nothing. Huge difference.

another year or two and ian will be remembered as a hall of famer.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another year or two and ian will be remembered as a hall of famer.

What a bullsh!t standard the Sodie apologists have set for Ian.... Erwin Claggett, H Waldman, Scott Highmark, Donnie Dobbs, Marque Perry, Justin Love, Josh Fisher, Reggie Bryant, and soon to join them Luke Meyer, Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch are just a few of the former Billikens who have not/will not play in the NBA. Does that mean they are bad players?

Funny that the guy who hyped Ian more than anybody was Brad. Called him the best center he had ever been around including his days at Wisconsin.

I suppose by minimizing the loss of Ian, it allows the Sodie apologists to no-so subtly blame this year's performance on Majerus as opposed to Brad's poor recruiting. I would bet KL and TL would say they missed Ian a lot this year. I feel bad for those two. They have had to play three season without a true play-making point guard and another season where they had virtually no low-post scoring presence to help open up the floor. On Friday, Majerus talked about how tough that was for KL and TL this past season, but hey, what does he know about coaching... :rolleyes:

what amazes me is the goo goo eyes "i miss you ian" considering if the guy had shown up his senior year and progressed as anyone would have expected, we might have won another 2-3 games and gotten to the ncaa tourney.

pardon me if i dont pine for the Ian that went totally south his senior year. to include him with the likes of Erwin Claggett, H Waldman, Scott Highmark, Donnie Dobbs, Marque Perry, Justin Love, Josh Fisher, Luke Meyer, Danny Brown is an insult to these guys that did get better each year. not go backwards as Ian did. what really amazes me is he got to the nba camps so he knew what he needed to do to make it and then proceeded to not do it. and for that, you guys immortalize him?

this has nothing to do with soderberg. this has to do with the reality that ian was not as good his senior year and his inconsistent play cost the team and the billiken fandom. sorry if i dont put him in my hall of fame worthy because of it.

Oh Goody we get to hear more about how great Ian was last year. Potential NBA'er??? LOL with that. I have as good a chance of playing in the NBA as Ian does.

There were people all over the world that thought Ian was NBA material...not just Billiken fans. Ian had more than enough skills to play in the NBA. What Ian didn't have was the passion for the game (to take a line outta Rick's book). Ian went toe to toe with Tyler Hansbrough...twice. He dominated several other quality big men. But he also got dominated by nobody's. He would disappear when we needed him most. Ian had skills, but he will never play in the NBA. It's too bad. And anybody who thinks we didn't miss him this year, doesn't know what they are talking about.

LMAO.

What are you LMAO at?

The fact that Greek League is one of the best outside of the NBA?

In the last 13 seasons that league has prodduced 5 Euro league champions and 4 runner-ups. Having a team in 9 of the last 13 finals says alot about the Greek League.

The fact that Ian is having a pretty good rookie year?

I think averaging 10 ppg, 6 rpg, and shooting 60% through 20 games is pretty good.

what amazes me is the goo goo eyes "i miss you ian" considering if the guy had shown up his senior year and progressed as anyone would have expected, we might have won another 2-3 games and gotten to the ncaa tourney.

pardon me if i dont pine for the Ian that went totally south his senior year. to include him with the likes of Erwin Claggett, H Waldman, Scott Highmark, Donnie Dobbs, Marque Perry, Justin Love, Josh Fisher, Luke Meyer, Danny Brown is an insult to these guys that did get better each year. not go backwards as Ian did. what really amazes me is he got to the nba camps so he knew what he needed to do to make it and then proceeded to not do it. and for that, you guys immortalize him?

this has nothing to do with soderberg. this has to do with the reality that ian was not as good his senior year and his inconsistent play cost the team and the billiken fandom. sorry if i dont put him in my hall of fame worthy because of it.

Who is "immortalizing" the guy? Give me a break. I never viewed Ian as an NBA player. I suspect I probably follow the NBA more than many on this board and I just don't see many 6-10 centers with limited hops and quickness. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a quality college player. Heck, Sodie hyped him more than anybody. He thought so much of him that the offense ran through him.

Ian went "totally south"? Come on. Look at the way he played down the stretch. He was consistently our best player the last 8-10 games. You can look it up. He also put up a double-double against Hansborough. If Ian was so bad, how come Bryce couldn't take some playing time away from him?

Instead of scapegoating Ian for not making the NCAA Tourney, how about blaming the half-million dollar coach who failed on numerous occasions to land a play-making point guard and a decent 4-man. You know, there were some of us on the board who expressed concerns about these recruiting failures, ;) but some on the board told us not to worry and the half a million dollar coach himself told the fans prior to the season that this was one of the most talented teams he had been around.

What a bullsh!t standard the Sodie apologists have set for Ian.... Erwin Claggett, H Waldman, Scott Highmark, Donnie Dobbs, Marque Perry, Justin Love, Josh Fisher, Reggie Bryant, and soon to join them Luke Meyer, Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch are just a few of the former Billikens who have not/will not play in the NBA. Does that mean they are bad players?

Funny that the guy who hyped Ian more than anybody was Brad. Called him the best center he had ever been around including his days at Wisconsin.

I suppose by minimizing the loss of Ian, it allows the Sodie apologists to no-so subtly blame this year's performance on Majerus as opposed to Brad's poor recruiting. I would bet KL and TL would say they missed Ian a lot this year. I feel bad for those two. They have had to play three season without a true play-making point guard and another season where they had virtually no low-post scoring presence to help open up the floor. On Friday, Majerus talked about how tough that was for KL and TL this past season, but hey, what does he know about coaching... ;)

Great points.

Broy, I agree with alot of your posts but believe you have a blindspot with respect to IV. Again, though, you are definitely consistent so it's the ole "agree to disagree"

As to 3Jack, just ignore.

Someone said that the players were the same, but Sodie had more wins.

I disgreed.

I said players were NOT the same, that IAN made a huge difference.

I didn't say he was Nate Thurmond.

Disappointing senior year, of course.

But he still had huge impact inside, and we had nothing-zilch this year.

Does 100 posts a day Roy dispute that?

i was on ian the entire year last year. go back and check it. damn right i am consistent. ian was in fact our downfall last year. yes he did play better the last 8 games, but unfortunately the season is about 30 games long. his inconsistency cost us the season and i said it the entire year last year.

i was on ian the entire year last year. go back and check it. damn right i am consistent. ian was in fact our downfall last year. yes he did play better the last 8 games, but unfortunately the season is about 30 games long. his inconsistency cost us the season and i said it the entire year last year.

I totally agree but the issue I was adressing was that he still helped compared to this year, so a few more wins last year.

Roy, I agree that Ian was disappointing last season, that said, he was far better than anything BH brought to the table. The opposition always respected his ability, which opened things up for TL and KL.

The reports of Ian's demise were greatly exaggerated: 13.9 ppg, 7.4 rpg as a junior... 12.4 ppg, 7.4 rpg as a senior

I guess some feel they need a scapegoat to justify Sodie's recruiting failures. It wasn't Ian's fault we didn't have a point guard and power forward on the roster. Oh well, glad that those with money and influence recognized the problem and made a change. Better days are ahead.

while he might have won us 3-4 more games, i expected rickma to make that up this season because imo rickma is that much better of a coach than soderberg.

had rickma played first half of december like second half plus not went crazy over xmas break (cost us first george washington game with overload) i think that we would have won 20 again.

water under the bridge now.

Roy. Let's all be consistent then. The entire team laid an egg this year for many games: GW, Kent State, at UD, SBU and at Duquesne to name a few. Yours and my favorite Billikens, KL and TL, had several games (such as these), including many stretches in games, where they completely disappeared. Where were the contant personal attacks against TL and KL like you did last year against IV. Guess I missed the personal attacks on in favor of the anti-RM attacks.

Did IV have a disappointing season? Based upon his size and physical abilities, his improved Junior year (following his time with the Greek traveling team he was on), rumors of his becoming an NBA player and Brad's constant gushing over how good he is, then yes. Based in comparison to the performances we watched this year by BH and BE, then no - he did look like an NBA All-Star compared to BH/BE.

had rickma played first half of december like second half plus not went crazy over xmas break (cost us first george washington game with overload) i think that we would have won 20 again.

I've been meaning to ask you about this...

I agree that Rick changed his offensive approach during the year. However, IMO, it had more to do with him getting to know what he had moreso than him being stubborn. It's my thought that Rick was never trying to lose games or "force" an offense. I think it was a matter of him not necessarily knowing his personnel. The guy wasn't able to practice...at all...with the entire team until practice started in the fall. How long did it take to realize it wasn't working? Was it not working because people didn't understand the system or did he not have the people to run the system? I think it was a learning experience.

I also think this plays into your other Majerus gripe about his persona early on. I think he's only human. It's like when you start a new job....you come in with a very objective attitude. You aren't privy to the political problems, the personnel issues, or any other problems in the office. But as you start to get assimilated, make friends, and get to know your surroundings, you're entire view changes. I think this is what we went through this season.

last year was a different animal simply because ian was a senior and was expected to be the main man. i dont see that as anywhere near the same as coming down on lisch and liddell as juniors.

now if lisch and liddell next year indeed regress from this year, i cant see me not going after them their senior years. yes, expectations for them as seniors are higher than them as juniors. and if they both regress next year from this year, we are going to have a worse year next year than we had this year. somehow i dont think that will happen.

while he might have won us 3-4 more games, i expected rickma to make that up this season because imo rickma is that much better of a coach than soderberg.

Roy, the second half of the season included the 27 point loss to Duquesne (with 1 week to prepare and alot at stake for the conf tourney) as well as the 20 point drubbing the week before against last place SBU on senior day. In addition, there was the 17 point loss to UNC Charlotte and the 11 point loss to UMass. How do you explain this horrible level of play?

If we were totally bad the first half and then, for the most part, consistently good the second half, you'd be on to something. Instead, we played well against Pitt on the road but then did not belong on the same floor with Kent State. Tired legs is not good enough as an excuse for losing by 20 to the Bonnies on Senior Day.

Instead, this team was up and down all year. I know you think there was this watershed event around the SIUC game but the stats don't appear to support you.

Who is "immortalizing" the guy? Give me a break. I never viewed Ian as an NBA player. I suspect I probably follow the NBA more than many on this board and I just don't see many 6-10 centers with limited hops and quickness. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a quality college player. Heck, Sodie hyped him more than anybody. He thought so much of him that the offense ran through him.

Ian went "totally south"? Come on. Look at the way he played down the stretch. He was consistently our best player the last 8-10 games. You can look it up. He also put up a double-double against Hansborough. If Ian was so bad, how come Bryce couldn't take some playing time away from him?

Instead of scapegoating Ian for not making the NCAA Tourney, how about blaming the half-million dollar coach who failed on numerous occasions to land a play-making point guard and a decent 4-man. You know, there were some of us on the board who expressed concerns about these recruiting failures, ;) but some on the board told us not to worry and the half a million dollar coach himself told the fans prior to the season that this was one of the most talented teams he had been around.

Actually, wasn't he a $400K coach

Oh Goody we get to hear more about how great Ian was last year. Potential NBA'er??? LOL with that. I have as good a chance of playing in the NBA as Ian does.

Jack, I'm really tired of the crap you post. Despite your insistence that Ian = Bryce, Ian is in fact a professional player, something that Bryce will never be.

Jack, I'm really tired of the crap you post. Despite your insistence that Ian = Bryce, Ian is in fact a professional player, something that Bryce will never be.

while i agree bryce is not as good as ian, word on the street is that bryce indeed will head to europe to play pro basketball.