Last Women's Game In West Pine

Any idea what they are going to do with the building/gym after the new arena opens? I always thought it was a cool gym/atmosphere in there...use it for intramurals maybe?

Probably not intramurals. You could only have one game there at a time, while Simon Rec has 6 courts, which are generally plenty. I would tear it down and build something useful, like more student housing.

i thought a tear down was out of the question because of being a "national historic building"?

i always assumed a major renovation/conversion of some sort, but i didnt think they could knock it down.

Probably not intramurals. You could only have one game there at a time, while Simon Rec has 6 courts, which are generally plenty. I would tear it down and build something useful, like more student housing.

Actually, 2 basketball games can be played in West Pine Gym at the same time, going perpendicular (sideways). I remember my good friend in our college days at SLU taking a shot at one of the side baskets during an intramural game, with the ball not hitting anything except in the bleachers above. That was the ultimate airball, and we still talk about it.

Also, the intramural indoor soccer games in WPG were legendary. I was a goalie and felt like I had been dropped into a giant pinball machine, that or target practice.

Plus, WPG has those 2 indoor tracks, one like a hallway under the bleachers, and the other above the bleachers.

Here's hoping that WPG can be saved for SLU intramurals.

Actually, 2 basketball games can be played in West Pine Gym at the same time, going perpendicular (sideways). I remember my good friend in our college days at SLU taking a shot at one of the side baskets during an intramural game, with the ball not hitting anything except in the bleachers above. That was the ultimate airball, and we still talk about it.

Also, the intramural indoor soccer games in WPG were legendary. I was a goalie and felt like I had been dropped into a giant pinball machine, that or target practice.

Plus, WPG has those 2 indoor tracks, one like a hallway under the bleachers, and the other above the bleachers.

Here's hoping that WPG can be saved for SLU intramurals.

Roy, the West Pine Gym (a.k.a. Bauman-Eberhardt Center) is not on the National Register of Historic Places. I did a search on their site, with no matching result, and also found this link:

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/shpo/StLouisCity.htm

If it's not on the national register, it isn't protected. It might be on a local or state register of historic buildings, but they aren't as strict (still probably a lot of red tape, though).

And BAB, regarding the two games at once, that would be hard to do because there are no lines for the courts that are perpendicular to the main court. Three-pointers, out of bounds, etc. would all just be a guess by the refs. They do have little hashmarks for the FT lines, though.

Also, I don't think you could consider those 'indoor tracks.' There are no lines, it's basically just several thick coats of paint over concrete. People are basically just running around the concourse and top rim aisle.

The other reasons I'd favor tearing down the B-E Center:

-After late spring/early summer, all offices and locker rooms will be vacant

-Energy costs are very high (btw, ever hear the pipes in the basement there? -LOUD)

-Prime campus real estate; way too good a spot to waste on a backup site for intramurals

-Has some charms because it is old (1920), but not special or useful enough to keep

-Other than intramurals, I don't see many other uses for it

fine with me. i have no affection for old buildings. that said, years ago when the st louis mayor, stopped the destruction of those warehouses across from busch stadium, who would have thought they would ever make anything out of them?

maybe they could gut and build out inside maintaining the outer look but fixing the obsolete interior?

i agree though that keeping it as only a gym is useless and would be a waste of space.

fine with me. i have no affection for old buildings. that said, years ago when the st louis mayor, stopped the destruction of those warehouses across from busch stadium, who would have thought they would ever make anything out of them?

maybe they could gut and build out inside maintaining the outer look but fixing the obsolete interior?

i agree though that keeping it as only a gym is useless and would be a waste of space.

I'm a "building-hugger," but I wouldn't have a huge problem with demolishing West Pine, as long as something better was planned in its place.

I do really like the facade though - the front part that faces (the former) West Pine Blvd. It would be cool to preserve it and build an entirely new building behind it. The architecture fits in with many of the other campus buildings, and I like the way it relates to the West Pine Mall.

The WPG is still used by the Saint Louis University Earthquake Center and Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences. In my earth sciences class my freshman year, Professor Koper told us that there is extensive equipment inside and underneath WPG.

According to this Website, there is still a vault "in the northwest corner of the old University gymnasium".

The WPG is still used by the Saint Louis University Earthquake Center and Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences. In my earth sciences class my freshman year, Professor Koper told us that there is extensive equipment inside and underneath WPG.

According to this Website, there is still a vault "in the northwest corner of the old University gymnasium".

I had Koper's earthquakes class, too. I remember him saying that, but I'd be surprised if they would be forced to keep it up for that reason. That's some heavy-duty expensive equipment, but I'm sure they could move it.

And Box, I'm also a building hugger, but I have no qualms about letting go of the WPG. SLU has plenty of other needs and could make great use of that space. Hell, keep the earthquake equipment safe, tear the gym down, and build a science building so the equipment can stay. Just do something useful that will benefit the school.

Without knowing, I was assuming that WPG could not be torn down. If it does not have landmark status, then I would agree that there are better uses for that space, even if for sentimental reasons and nostalgia's sake, part of me will be sorry if it goes. It would be nice to at least save the front facade. And obviously, that Billiken statue in front must be preserved. Wasn't that statue missing in action in someone's basement for decades before being found?

The coach's office at West Pine Gym is the site where this poster, then a SLU Senior and Chairmen of the then SLU Crew (a predecessor of the Blue Crew) and his roommate, refused to leave Coach and AD Ron Ekker's office until he let us restore the true Billiken mascot, to at least compliment, since Ekker wouldn't let us replace, that hideous Billy Lou, who looked like the Mayrose Meat Man.

When Rich Grawer took over as SLU coach, he had the old gym painted. For MVC lovers, Coach Grawer for a time had banners of the old MVC teams hung again at WPG, even though SLU had been out of the Valley for about 9 years or so. You could look up there and see the banners hanging of such old foes as Bradley, Wichita State, Tulsa, and Drake.

And I, for one, will never forget the 2 SLU games under Coach Grawer against Blackburn College (a 101-88 2 OT "thriller," that SLU finally, thankfully, and mercifully won) and the subsequent 20 point win over Greenville College, both at West Pine Gym. Those were weekday afternoon games. Tony Brown had his career game against Blackburn.

no matter what happens, i plan to be there wednesday night for what MIGHT be the last public viewing of the place. let's give shimmy a packed house for what should be a historic night.

My only problem with keeping the building if it can indeed be torn down is that its location and size of the building does not fit the campus now. It is imposing and takes away from the overall flow at least in my opinion. Something smaller would be nicer but I understand the cost issues at play. One thing I would mention is that having dealt with old buildings I know that there are many problems with trying to convert them to something they were not intended for and I also know that others always think they can do something with it but what they don't understand is that once you start that conversion, all the new codes come into effect and the cost to retrofit might not make any sense. Things like electrical, second floor and basement handicap access will have to be provided, plumbing updated to include appropriate restrooms, and many other things will need to be done that most can not even think about such as hidden asbestos - the building loses its grandfather status and must be brought up to code. I have seen buildings like that end up costing so much to update that you can not justify keeping it.

tom timmermann and shimmy are brutal about the place today in that post dispatch article.

the real villian isnt the building it is the fact that slu let it get to that degree of dispair. how sad is it that timmermann finds a full sized olympic pool with office space built over it now? :(

or how about the fact the ladies cant even pee at halftime in the lockerroom and have to go stand in line with the fans?

sadly it is easy to see the character of the place and it is just sad it has come to this. tear it down and move on.

tom timmermann and shimmy are brutal about the place today in that post dispatch article.

the real villian isnt the building it is the fact that slu let it get to that degree of dispair. how sad is it that timmermann finds a full sized olympic pool with office space built over it now? :(

or how about the fact the ladies cant even pee at halftime in the lockerroom and have to go stand in line with the fans?

sadly it is easy to see the character of the place and it is just sad it has come to this. tear it down and move on.

I don't know if I'd blame SLU for letting it reach a state of despair; some of that stuff has been like that since the building went up. No bathrooms in the women's locker room, no administrative offices so they have to be built over an old pool, no track and field locker room, small locker rooms for every team, 6' doorways to the gym and lower doorways downstairs- no degree of maintenance could change these structural things.

I think Timmerman and Shimmy's comments were fair. Recruits aren't sold on the "character" of an ancient building if it doesn't have the amenities they want and need.

Tear it down and move on- couldn't agree more with that.