Billiken Club meeting news?

gister

bumpity

I was there last nite. Well attended, especially considering the weather here lately. Three players came, Tommie, Kevin, and Barry. Man are they neat kids. Kevin says his shooting hand fingers are fine, and will stay taped together. Thad Strobach asked a technical question regarding how the players turn after they make their picks. Barry asked him to come up and in a great 'show and tell' fashion, the ole Coach, showed the guys how he would like them to turn after their picks. Barry was bouncing an imaginary ball, and showed how they set up the play. It was really neat.

The guys really want to win this game, but had a business-like approach to the contest.

All are feeling better about the new system, feeling more relaxed in it. Tommie mentioned that they are able to play their game now, within the Coach's system. He doesn't want them out there as robots.

Question regarding FT, and amount of time devoted to this. It is worked into the practice throughout, no set amount of time.

Asst coach from the women's team spoke of the recent woes of the women's team. Shimmy was to come, but was at practice, an extended practice. Amy Klotz will be back soon from a knee injury.

Director of BB operations spoke regarding the picking of tickets for the new arena, reitterating the schedule sent in the recent email. There will be 1K tickets devoted to students. The students will have to pay for their tickets at the new arena. There are 7K season tickets now, in 2500 approx accounts. A good percentage are not renewing for the new arena, probably due to the increased cost involved with getting season tickets. There is no firm date on the dedication yet. The Globetrotters will be the first event.

I left my notes at home, will add more later if I missed anything.

mhg

I was there last nite. Well attended, especially considering the weather here lately. Three players came, Tommie, Kevin, and Barry. Man are they neat kids. Kevin says his shooting hand fingers are fine, and will stay taped together. Thad Strobach asked a technical question regarding how the players turn after they make their picks. Barry asked him to come up and in a great 'show and tell' fashion, the ole Coach, showed the guys how he would like them to turn after their picks. Barry was bouncing an imaginary ball, and showed how they set up the play. It was really neat.

The guys really want to win this game, but had a business-like approach to the contest.

All are feeling better about the new system, feeling more relaxed in it. Tommie mentioned that they are able to play their game now, within the Coach's system. He doesn't want them out there as robots.

Question regarding FT, and amount of time devoted to this. It is worked into the practice throughout, no set amount of time.

Asst coach from the women's team spoke of the recent woes of the women's team. Shimmy was to come, but was at practice, an extended practice. Amy Klotz will be back soon from a knee injury.

Director of BB operations spoke regarding the picking of tickets for the new arena, reitterating the schedule sent in the recent email. There will be 1K tickets devoted to students. The students will have to pay for their tickets at the new arena. There are 7K season tickets now, in 2500 approx accounts. A good percentage are not renewing for the new arena, probably due to the increased cost involved with getting season tickets. There is no firm date on the dedication yet. The Globetrotters will be the first event.

mhg

Thanks for the report.

i'm really against the students paying for tickets. Does anybody know if this is the case at aother schools? I think it's a bad move.

They don't come now and the tickets are free. I have no problem with making them pay some low fee ($80?) for tickets. It'll create an incentive for students to go, if they have already bought the tickets, they're not going to go to waste.

mhg

Thanks for the good summary.

I guess I'm a little surprised that "A good percentage are not renewing..." their season tickets. I figured there would be some, but not a lot. Of course we don't have actual numbers.

It bothers me that RM wasn't there again. I don't expect him to come everytime, but how about twice a year? He can find time to spend several hours at a political rally, but can't find 30 minutes every 6 months to visit with some of the people who financially support Billiken athletics, especially the basketball programs.

Thanks for the report.

i'm really against the students paying for tickets. Does anybody know if this is the case at aother schools? I think it's a bad move.

They only have to pay $8 or $9 per ticket. Way below what others pay.

I'm pretty sure almost all schools charge their students a little something for the tickets.

They only have to pay $8 or $9 per ticket. Way below what others pay.

I'm pretty sure almost all schools charge their students a little something for the tickets.

My daughter went to Indiana for undergrad and she not only had to pay a high price for tickets but she also had to put here name in a lottery and she only got tickets for 3 games a year. In my experience, people take things more seriously if they are not free. If the kids pay something for the tickets there is a much better liklihood that they will attend the games.

Student tickets are $70 for the season at Marquette. It comes out to $3.89/ ticket and you get a nice gold shirt.

Student season tickets at Notre Dame are $60, and that doesn't include games over Christmas break. Individual student tickets are $5.

When I was a Freshman at SLU in 2001, season tickets were $20.

Student tickets are $70 for the season at Marquette. It comes out to $3.89/ ticket and you get a nice gold shirt.

Student season tickets at Notre Dame are $60, and that doesn't include games over Christmas break. Individual student tickets are $5.

When I was a Freshman at SLU in 2001, season tickets were $20.

Charge it as an addition to the activity fee. They'll never miss it. Their parents might, but they won't.

I'm not saying that I think the tickets should be free because I think students won't go if they have to pay. I just think that it should be a perk of attending the school.

Almost 15 years, when I was an undergrad at SLU and they were first implementing the $25 student season tickets, I advocated for a higher fee. My rationale at the time, which I believe proved correct over time, was that such a small fee fails to institute a sense of investment in the ticket purchase. At $25 per season, a large number of students bought the package and only attended to the Cincy and/or Louisville games. If the students were forced to pay two or three times that amount, they would feel more invested in their purchase and less likely to purhcase a season ticket that would remain vacant for 15 home games or--even better--they would fill that season ticket for the majority of games. The increased amount charged to students should be earmarked for student promotions relating to the men's basketball program, not general administration.

Almost 15 years, when I was an undergrad at SLU and they were first implementing the $25 student season tickets, I advocated for a higher fee. My rationale at the time, which I believe proved correct over time, was that such a small fee fails to institute a sense of investment in the ticket purchase. At $25 per season, a large number of students bought the package and only attended to the Cincy and/or Louisville games. If the students were forced to pay two or three times that amount, they would feel more invested in their purchase and less likely to purhcase a season ticket that would remain vacant for 15 home games or--even better--they would fill that season ticket for the majority of games. The increased amount charged to students should be earmarked for student promotions relating to the men's basketball program, not general administration.

Yeah, but students still had the option of getting a free ticket the day of. Maybe I'm just missing it, but it looks like they don't have that anymore. I'm fine with charging students $80 for the best seats in the house. But I would also like to see the free option still available.

A good percentage are not renewing for the new arena, probably due to the increased cost involved with getting season tickets.

So this is an interesting fact to me. Are people really not getting season tickets in the new arena because of the arena fees and the increased cost of tickets? I can't believe this!

The arena fees and Billiken Club membership is a way that people can support the Billikens athletic program. I don't know this for a fact but I would venture to state that all major D1 programs are finanically support through arena fees and donations/boosters.

We are getting a new arena, we have an unbelievable coach, we have a top 50 recruting class - you would think that people would want to get season tickets and support the Billiken athletic program. I do believe that the University has done a good job of setting price points.

What is it going to take for people to support our programs?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

Charge it as an addition to the activity fee. They'll never miss it. Their parents might, but they won't.

The problem with this is that the majority of students still aren't interested in going to the games, so if everyone is charged even the smallest amount for a general student ticket fee, you can bet there will be an uproar.

I got so sick of the student apathy at SLU, but the one thing that could get students riled up was money. I can't tell you how many times I heard the annoying "$40,000 a year and all we get is more flowers and statues" argument. The best part, as I would point out to people saying things like this, is that most of the students' parents are paying for the tuition anyway so they should just shut up and enjoy the fact they're getting a great education for little or no debt upon graduation. In addition, the money the school has poured into having a nice campus in the middle of a city was a huge selling point for a lot of students and parents alike. But I digress...

So this is an interesting fact to me. Are people really not getting season tickets in the new arena because of the arena fees and the increased cost of tickets? I can't believe this!

The arena fees and Billiken Club membership is a way that people can support the Billikens athletic program. I don't know this for a fact but I would venture to state that all major D1 programs are finanically support through arena fees and donations/boosters.

We are getting a new arena, we have an unbelievable coach, we have a top 50 recruting class - you would think that people would want to get season tickets and support the Billiken athletic program. I do believe that the University has done a good job of setting price points.

What is it going to take for people to support our programs?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

Here is the problem with the statement the guy made at the meeting: 1.Since the tix cartels can not really exist anymore at least feasibly, then perhaps a number of the people in the cartel dropped out and are planning on buying their own when the tix finally go on sale to non-Billiken members/current season tix holders who are not members. 2. I would need to know his definition of "significant" - if SLU is use to a 98% renewal rate then if they are now seeing a 90% renewal rate then they would see that as a significant drop. Please see reason 1 as a possible cause for non-renewals. 3. I do believe that the tix fee is something that is new to SLU so we have to simply get use to it and it may take a couple of years to do this so some might have dropped theirs with idea that they will buy individual seats and then over the next couple of years as the team gets better they may be discover that they will have to buy the tix fee to get seats.

I would like to know the plan for students though - anybody with any real info on this should share it.

Here is the problem with the statement the guy made at the meeting: 1.Since the tix cartels can not really exist anymore at least feasibly, then perhaps a number of the people in the cartel dropped out and are planning on buying their own when the tix finally go on sale to non-Billiken members/current season tix holders who are not members. 2. I would need to know his definition of "significant" - if SLU is use to a 98% renewal rate then if they are now seeing a 90% renewal rate then they would see that as a significant drop. Please see reason 1 as a possible cause for non-renewals. 3. I do believe that the tix fee is something that is new to SLU so we have to simply get use to it and it may take a couple of years to do this so some might have dropped theirs with idea that they will buy individual seats and then over the next couple of years as the team gets better they may be discover that they will have to buy the tix fee to get seats.

I would like to know the plan for students though - anybody with any real info on this should share it.

Cheese, I think you are right. I think people leaving the cartels is a major part of any drop in renewals. I would assume many of those will be getting their own when they can.

i am totally convinced there are a significant number of old time season tix holders that have never been billiken club members that think it is their god given right to sit in the 6th row center court without having to pay one cent extra to do so and will walk away rather than pay that because they believe the fact they have had those seats for 20 years means they should have them forever without paying the extra.

this is good for the rest of us. i cant wait.

i am totally convinced there are a significant number of old time season tix holders that have never been billiken club members that think it is their god given right to sit in the 6th row center court without having to pay one cent extra to do so and will walk away rather than pay that because they believe the fact they have had those seats for 20 years means they should have them forever without paying the extra.

this is good for the rest of us. i cant wait.

I don't know about that Roy. I haven't heard one person say that. I assume that there maybe some people that might not be able to afford it. It will be alot more for some people and some of those people choose Billiken basketball because it was a more affordable option.

Cheese, well put sir!