Arena project has begun!

bonwich

Fair enough. I can agree to disagree.

Come by the last row in section 114 (seats 15-19 I think) tomorrow if you have time. We can pick a place for a good beer since finding one at Savvis is about as likely as you and I agreeing on everything.

I'll be the guy with the five year-old climbing on my head and the wife hiding under her jacket in embarrassment from my tirades at the refs.

look around CUSA and our attendance falls about where it should if not higher given our recent history and W-L record.

Since I am in finance I'll pull a little finance term out of you. In general, if you want to attribute 100% of your return over the long haul, something like 85% will come from you picking the right types of securities to own (stocks vs. bonds), maybe 5-10% will come from picking the right companies (Microsoft vs. Enron) and the other 5% comes from other factors. I contend that 85% of any incremental increase or decrease in Billikens attendance will come from winning, 5-10% could come from having local players and 5% could come from better promotions. Thats just my opinion though.

I'll make best efforts to drag my 11-year-old up and say hi, but I'm guessing you'll also be wanting to agree on subsequently meeting another day and time. Tomorrow being the day that it is, we may both not want to appear like jerks to our wives by swilling on that specific date. (I know I'll need to get home fairly quickly after the game, 'cause I'm cooking dinner tomorrow evening.)

I do, however, in fact look forward to meeting you sometime soon.

Good discussion of some of the issues affecting our program and how we can grow it. I think Mr. Bonwich makes some good observations and I liked what David Nark had to say about marketing during the Spoon/Debbie Yow days. Unfortunately, I'm not sure our current AD even took Marketing 101. I'll have to pass on the free beer you all will be buying each other...for this share holder, I'd just ask that it be an A-B product. I'll be enjoying my own brew down here in sunny Florida rooting for our team to pull off an upset VS Charlotte tomorrow.

Nicely said. Now I'll have to make it an imported beer. I'd counter that portfolio diversification is one of the classic return-optimization techniques for long-term investing, and although winning is the blue-chip big cap, you'll make more money over the long run by prudently choosing, say, a decent utility (like one that can reliably power the damn SHOT CLOCK!) and perhaps a couple of microcap communications stocks with decent fundamentals.

but I left the Arizona game upset because we lost, not because the shot clock didn't work for 5 minutes and I left the Depaul game as disapointed as I've ever been because of the L, not b/c they didn't have a ball for the Big Shark Bicycle.

I feel someone from the SLU Athletic Dept should be a member of this message board...I think they would gain valuable ideas at zero cost...Does anyone agree?...Is there someone on this board with the power to convince the Athletic Dept.that it would be a good idea to join and to evaluate the better ideas for implementation?...Who would be willing to take the action item of convincing them?...It could pay big dividends.

willie said, "Maybe it's the nature of the beast that we lose the Valerie Kotas's{sp} to people like the Cardinals, but it would be nice to have some continuity. Is Woolard hard to work for? Are we cheap? I just believe we have too much tournover."

hell we lost matt oldani to a high school! i was told by a mentor long ago that an organization will never succeed and grow with tight management control. you have to let the middle managers grow, take risks, make mistakes, etc. when you hire people, you dont hire the guy that will necessarily do what you want or not give you grief, you hire the guy that will and can take your place. if your organization is strong, that will only push you to even greater heights. for some reason, i dont think slu had the same mentor.

al, i wouldnt be surprised if they dont already post we just dont know who they are. i can guarantee you they read the board.

kshoe, it is a catch 22. which comes first? if we win the people will come. if we market the team and people come out regardless, it will strengthen the recruiting and budget and thus allow us to win.

the only thing certain is that this whole string makes my head hurt. :-)

looking back, surprisingly, i didnt leave depaul as upset as bewildered. what happened to the teams that played the first half?

... when I admit to being a nut that fell off the "bonwich" tree. Joe and I did UNews stuff and Billiken Hockey announcing on a shared basis. I did morst of it, he just goofed off. If you ask him, I am certain this fact will be 100% reveresed where he worked, I goofed. And frankly, he's probably give you the more astute versionof the truth.

Now I hang out with the roydude any chance I get (you coming to Philly again soon?). Our jaded attitdues tend to feed off each other I guess. Scrivener has always added at least to me, a sense of balanace but that's who I know and go with.

I think both of you (Joe and Brett) make valid points. I know where Joe comes from; I lived it as well. I can also see where Brett comes from. I think the answer lies in Kissenger-esque diplomacy ... and somewhere in the middle. Compromise.

Overall a good discussion no matter.

i was supposed to come next month, but instead i am taking the lovely anita to the carribean for our 20th. not sure yet when the next visit will be.

i think the discussion joe started yesterday at the very worst is very healthy and the administration would be foolish to NOT consider such. that said, i am a woolard supporter. he always has been very fair and good to me and has given the answers when asked. i am far from any sort of insider, so that may explain my view though.

that said, if he wasnt doing the job, then why wouldnt our true insiders be reacting accordingly? why was he considered for such a high level job as kansas when that spot was open recently? why would a fine ceo as father biondi obviously is, put up with less than stellar performance?

if you look at the overall picture, doug has done monumental work for the slu athletic department. we have a national level soccer program that apparently plays on one of the best fields in the country. our other sports programs continue to improve on a year to year basis. especially some of the women's programs. while other schools have cut sports, slu has expanded. and they have done it while maintaining a high level of accademic integrity.

i love billiken basketball, and would love to be in the top 25 on an annual basis. but i recognize that there are a lot of factors that go into that happening and i am willing to be patient.

now that all said, as i said above, the athletic department would be foolish to not react to issues that continue to come up. marketing, event managment and fund raising are three areas that seem can easily be fixed without endangering any already advancements and integrity. so it does bother me that nothing seems to change in those three areas. hey, maybe the joe bonwich discussion will filter to the right people and get something moving.

Roy, thats the key. Allowing your best people to do their best. The turnover in the Woolard administration has really hurt. I bet you can't list the people that have come and gone througout the Woolard years. I can list the people who have been here for quite a while, but its like two people...Lori Flanigan and Mike Beczkala. A whole department has turned over (several times in some cases) in that time frame from when Debbie Yow left til now. I don't know about you, but I hate to be micro-managed and then blamed and hung out to dry when something goes wrong.

Worst thing to ever happen to SLU was when Yow left (and my family was one of the ones screwed over in the transfer of season tix from Kiel to the Arena!!)